Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mail message disappears from iphone
#44365 04/21/17 03:35 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Very weird, first time doing this.

A client messages a long convoluted email address, and wants an email back. The email address is too tiring to get into my desktop Mail, so I just send an email through mail on the iphone, which I hate.

But it disappears every time I leave the app on the iphone. I have to leave the email on the ihpone to go to notes to copy/ paste and I click mail, and not there, just message from inbox, not even in draft.

I do it again, and have to leave Mail on iphone, have to leave the Mail app on ihpone to check to go back to messages, she sent a message, and the email I'm composing on the ihpone is gone. NOthing in drafts even, I just see inbox.

Had to give up and ask to her to email me so I can do it on desktop.

Re: Mail message disappears from iphone
kevs #44367 04/21/17 04:09 PM

It may all depend on how you leave the iPhone app. I just tested it on my iPhone running iOS 10.3.1: started an e-mail in the Mail app, pressed the HOME BUTTON to leave the app, opened Messages, pressed the Home button to leave Messages, tapped Mail to open it and my partial e-mail was still there.
(Don't swipe up from the screen mode to kill the app.)

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44368 04/21/17 04:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Ira, great. I never "leave" an app usually. The home button is the bottom round one? Not the upper right one? And just click it once?

kevs #44373 04/22/17 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Ira, great. I never "leave" an app usually. The home button is the bottom round one? Not the upper right one? And just click it once?

Yes, the round bottom button; click once.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44391 04/23/17 09:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Now sticking Ira, working, go figure. But that one day, the message be gone on my return, after going to calendar or phone.

But... you have to click home button per force to go anywhere else....

kevs #44400 04/24/17 06:04 PM

But... you have to click home button per force to go anywhere else....

It depends on the specific situation and even on the specific device…
  1. If you are opening a new app — click the Home button ONCE to get back to the home screen in order to open the new app. That will leave the first app opne and running in background.
  2. If you want to switch from the app in foreground to another app running in the background — click the Home button TWICE and all the open apps will appear as a stack that you can browse through and select the desire app.
  3. If you have click on a link in one app that has opened a second app in the foreground — the originating app will be shown at the top left of the screen, simply touch that link to return to the originating app.
  4. If you are on an iPad Pro — drag the right side of the screen toward the center and icons for other "split screen aware" apps will appear. Touch the one you want and it will open in split screen mode.
  5. If you are in split screen mode — drag the left margin of the second app all the way to the left then drag the right margin to the left and you can open another app, etc., etc.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44402 04/24/17 07:05 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, yeah, I don't what was going on with the original issue. Does not seem to be a problem now... any ideas why the emails were disappearing after going from Mail to Phone on the iphone?

kevs #44405 04/24/17 09:49 PM

... any ideas why the emails were disappearing after going from Mail to Phone on the iphone?

I can't really tell what was going on from your narrative, and to be honest I try to avoid sending any text or email on the iPhone that I cannot dictate to Siri — preferably through my watch, but I have two possible suggestions for the future:
  1. Any time something inexplicable like that happens, try powering down and re-starting (ie. the ancient standby of re-booting). It often works — even in iOS
  2. If I understand the sequence of events correctly, and I Suspect I don't, what about simply copying and pasting the email address from Message to Mail?
    1. Touch anywhere on the email address until a magnifying glass like circle appears
    2. Release and a dialog box will appear with multiple options.
    3. If the address stands alone on a line/lines choose "select all"
    4. Otherwise choose "select" then use the handles on the selection box drag the box to encompass the entire email address
    5. in either case select "Copy" in the next dialog box that appears
    6. Switch to mail then touch the To line until a dialog box appears then touch "Paste" Selecting the full address can be annoyingly touchy, especially with my big fingers, but it should work as I described. I do that with some frequency.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #44429 04/26/17 04:34 PM

the iOS clipboard should be a single shared container. That's how it is on Mac OS. In that particular clipboard, the item(s) are "tagged" as to what it is. Be it text, a picture, a url, etc. When an app copies, it stores to the clipboard and assigns a tag. Drag and drop work the same way but are more often used to drag several things at once, all of the same type. (tag)

When an app is either ready to accept a paste or a drop, it can check to see what type of item is in the clipboard, and how many of it there are available, and can decide if it's willing to accept it or not. If it is, cmd-v will paste or the drop will get a (+) as you drag and will allow the drop.

So you shouldn't have a problem dragging a text field like an email address as long as it's being properly tagged (as text, or possibly as "url"?) and the receiving app has agreed to receive that type of data.

You can try pasting into something like Notes, or safari's URL field to test it out. Some places you can't paste text to though, and if it's using a funky tag (I don't know if "URL" or "EMAILADDR" type tags are commonplace?) it may not be accepting it even though it might be able to use it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44431 04/26/17 08:17 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe Virtual thanks.
Was not an issue copy / paste / or email address.

I composed an email in Mail iPhone.

I sent to the phone to do something, I came back to Mail and the email I was making was gone...I did this two times with same result

Seems to be ok now after a test two, but that day was very frustrating.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard