Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iCloud being a pain in the butt
#44344 04/18/17 02:05 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I've been getting a persistent dialogue box that advises:

"This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with "email address" (User Name)

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem."

Two buttons are offered: "Later" and "iCloud Preferences".

If I click on iCloud Preferences, I am asked to enter my Apple ID Password. However, iCloud does not recognize my Apple ID Password (even though all other Apple outlets like the App Store and iTunes seem to know it).

It's then suggested that I could change my password but I am not about to do so as iCloud appears not to talk to other Apple places. So, as I don't use iCloud anyway, I'd just as soon rid myself of any iCloud interference.

I could do that by clicking on the button: "Sign Out"….but iCloud then issues the threat:

"If you stop using iCloud for Calendars and Reminders, calendars and reminders stored in iCloud will be erased from this Mac.

Your calendars and reminders will still be available on other devices using iCloud."

There is a button: Delete from Mac

Assuming that, by other devices, Apple includes Time Machine and Super Duper backups I'd like to hit that delete button and get rid of iCloud once and for all. I am also assuming that, when I hit the delete button, my Super Duper and Time Machine backups should be turned off.

If I'm correct about the last paragraph, what's the correct process to restore my Calendars and Reminders?

Last edited by cyn; 04/27/17 11:03 AM. Reason: Topic moved from "Mac OS X Applications" to the "Networking" forum.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: iCloud being a pain in the butt
ryck #44345 04/18/17 02:21 PM

When iCloud is activated then the version on iCloud is the "master" and what is on your local device is essentially a reflection of the master, but it is physically present on your Mac, specifically in ~/Library. Time Machine dutifully backs up the contents of ~/Library.

I got that same warning a few days ago and took the "Later" option because I didn't want to fool o with it at the time. "Later'" has not recurred and I am assuming the whole thing was a glitch in the iCloud software. Because of the password issue I am guessing it was in the password server. If I were you I would taste the "Leter" option and forget about it.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44346 04/18/17 02:56 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I got that same warning a few days ago and took the "Later" option because I didn't want to fool o with it at the time. "Later'" has not recurred and I am assuming the whole thing was a glitch in the iCloud software. Because of the password issue I am guessing it was in the password server. If I were you I would taste the "Leter" option and forget about it.

"Later" was the first thing I chose but my experience is different than yours. In my case, "Later" appears actually to be "Not Long From Now" and the original dialogue box pops up continually…i.e. being a pain in the butt.

Ergo, my wish to be done with it once and for all.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44347 04/18/17 04:27 PM

Your Apple ID and your iCloud ID are not necessarily the same. Are yours?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44348 04/18/17 04:58 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Your Apple ID and your iCloud ID are not necessarily the same. Are yours?

I don't know. I'm not an iCloud user (at least, not consciously). iCloud is something I goofed with when it was first offered but didn't see any value for my simple computing requirements. If I entered an iCloud ID password, I didn't keep track of it.

However, in this case, the software isn't asking for an iCloud ID password. It specifically asks for my Apple ID password….and I do know what that is.

Hence my original query:

Assuming that, by other devices, Apple includes Time Machine and Super Duper backups I'd like to hit that delete button and get rid of iCloud once and for all. I am also assuming that, when I hit the delete button, my Super Duper and Time Machine backups should be turned off.

If I'm correct about the last paragraph, what's the correct process to restore my Calendars and Reminders?

Last edited by ryck; 04/18/17 05:01 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Ira L #44349 04/18/17 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Your Apple ID and your iCloud ID are not necessarily the same. ...

Unless one has a legacy ID, from many years ago, one's Apple ID is used for all Apple Services (iCloud, iTunes, App Store, Mac App Store, Apple Account) regardless of whether access is from iOS devices or macOS desktop.

If one goes to Apple ID - Manage your Apple Account ( Link ) and views the ID Section for the account, it will show the ID primarily associated with the Account and which is best used for all Apple Services login. If one has a legacy Alias associated with their Account, it's linked to the Primary ID. IMHO, it's best to solely use the Primary ID in order to alleviate log-in confusion when signing into Apple / iCloud services from various devices.

By the way, if one want's to Change their Apple ID, one can do so at this Manage ID login. This can also be done from an iOS device, running iOS 10.3.1, in Settings; however, I think it's a bit easier doing this task logged into one's Account via the above Link.

Here's Apple's FAQ page on Apple ID . It clearly shows there's 1 email address, which is one's Apple ID, associated with the Account and used across all Apple Services.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
ryck #44350 04/18/17 06:13 PM

Here's the Apple Link which will assist you in correctly resolving your Apple / iCloud login issues Link

Keep in mind the best approach to resolving is to first, know your active, Apple ID and the Password associated with the ID, and then second, follow the instructions to get all your devices (including desktop), which use Apple Service, set up using your active, Apple ID and its associated PW.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #44351 04/19/17 02:40 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
By the way, if one want's to Change their Apple ID, one can do so at this Manage ID login. This can also be done from an iOS device, running iOS 10.3.1, in Settings; however, I think it's a bit easier doing this task logged into one's Account via the above Link

Thanks for the link. I went there and, as expected , Apple knows my ID and password.

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Here's the Apple Link which will assist you in correctly resolving your Apple / iCloud login issues Link

I also went there and ended up with a "Sign Out" that would delete information from my iMac. I already have that in my original post….so I'm back where I started...my original query:

I just want to be rid of iCloud. It's totally unnecessary for my simple needs and therefore, for me, it is just a giant a pain in the _____.

Last edited by ryck; 04/19/17 03:08 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
iCloud sync works
ryck #44354 04/19/17 02:42 PM

Signing out of iCloud on any device, discontinues all related iCloud sync to & from that device.

Calendars and Reminders sync uses iCloud sync and requires being logged into iCloud on the particular devices, where you want syncing of Calendars and Reminders, using your Apple ID and the associated PW.

Best way to initiate a correct sync (after logging out of iCloud on all devices - having been careful in following Apple's instructions), is first logging into your iCloud Account on your desktop Mac(s), using the iCloud Sys Pref, and check the particular Apple Services (say, Calendars and Reminders - recommend checking Contacts sync - and, unchecking the sync services you don't want active). Then, go to each iOS device where sync is to be active and in Settings -> iCloud, log into iCloud and activate the sync for the same Services (say, Calendars, Reminders, Contacts). A subsequent sync will then occur on the iOS device.

On your iOS devices, recommend using Find My iPhone and Find My iPad, both of which require signing into iCloud on that device; but since you're signing into iCloud to sync Calendars & Reminders (& Contacts), just activate these "Find My" services.

You can also use the iCloud settings on iOS devices (with iOS 10.3.x) to see the devices associated with your Apple ID (or, log into your Apple Account via the web URL to Manage Apple ID). There's benefit in confirming that your Apple ID is correctly associating current devices, particularly if you've sold or simply taken devices out of service.

Here's a very helpful link for iMore Guides

Time Machine is an Apple - macOS utility app for backups, setup in Time Machine Sys Pref. Time Machine and SuperDuper have nothing to do with iCloud when backups are being completed using either app.

IMHO, iCloud is a very good, as well as reliable, sync service. I have used it for years without any sync problems. Yes, iCloud had previous issues, particularly after the transition from MobileMe; but over time and especially with recent macOS and iOS updates, mainly macOS 10.12.x & iOS 10.3.x, iCloud has been dependable when correctly setup.

Sometimes iCloud requests the Apple ID & password, and many find entering these details to be a nuisance. However, these entry requests (as well as 2-step or 2-factor responding) are security measures Apple has initiated to insure the user of an Apple ID is the bone fide user. As long as one inputs the correct ID and password, this is only a momentary delay. ...I find it understandable and reassuring Apple has taken steps, given the aggressiveness of data thieves, that assist us in protecting our Apple ID and related, iCloud / Apple Services.

ryck #44433 04/27/17 09:38 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
I've been getting a persistent dialogue box that advises:

"This Mac can't connect to iCloud because of a problem with "email address" (User Name)

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem."

Two buttons are offered: "Later" and "iCloud Preferences".

If I click on iCloud Preferences, I am asked to enter my Apple ID Password. However, iCloud does not recognize my Apple ID Password (even though all other Apple outlets like the App Store and iTunes seem to know it).

Wow, I'm glad it's not just me! I've been having that exact same problem on my Macbook Pro. Started about two weeks ago, and I have yet to find a solution.

I've tried signing out of iCloud (letting it delete all the synced info from my Mac) and signing back in, which solves the problem for a day or two, but like rainclouds on a day off it just keeps coming back. If there's a solution I have yet to find it.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
ryck #44449 04/28/17 11:41 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: tacit
Wow, I'm glad it's not just me!

Hey, welcome aboard. And I too am glad not to be the only one.

I tried one of the links pbguy so kindly provided and the message from Apple was that they'd send instructions to my phone within a few days. That was over a week ago. Sigh.

I've tried signing out of iCloud (letting it delete all the synced info from my Mac) and signing back in…..

That's where I'm headed (without the signing back in) but I just want to be sure I can restore the deleted files either from my Time Machine or Super Duper backups.

Last edited by ryck; 04/28/17 11:44 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44465 04/29/17 10:12 PM

I've tried signing out of iCloud (letting it delete all the synced info from my Mac) and signing back in…..

That's where I'm headed (without the signing back in) but I just want to be sure I can restore the deleted files either from my Time Machine or Super Duper backups.

The files can be restored, but they'll just be deleted again if you restore them to the same place they came from.

A better solution is to export or save your iCloud files to a different place on your hard drive (for example, Documents) before you sign out.

In my case, I need to have access to my iCloud documents on all my devices because I travel a lot and will update them from a number of different devices.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44486 05/03/17 08:34 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

The files can be restored, but they'll just be deleted again if you restore them to the same place they came from.

A better solution is to export or save your iCloud files to a different place on your hard drive (for example, Documents) before you sign out.

Okay….just to be sure I do this right….this is what I understand.

1. iCloud needs to be fooled into thinking that my Calendar and Messages files are somewhere other than normal.

2. I'll make new Time Machine and Super Duper backups.

3. I'll turn off my Time Machine and Super Duper drives to make sure iCloud doesn't 'search and remove' on them.

4. Then I'll go to my Users>Library>Calendars folder and move it to Documents.

5. Ditto for the Users>Library>Messages folder.

6. Then I'll sign out of iCloud.

7. iCloud will delete the Calendar and Messages folders from Documents.

8. I'll restore the Calendars and Messages folders to Users>Library.

I assume that moving the folders from either the Time Machine or Super Duper drives is as easy as Click and Drag.

Last edited by ryck; 05/03/17 08:57 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44492 05/03/17 04:12 PM

"I assume that moving the folders from either the Time Machine or Super Duper drives is as easy as Click and Drag."

Not with Time Machine. You have to go through the Time Machine application to restore from a location. I don't know about Super Duper, but if your backups are of the clone variety, then you can click and drag.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #44495 05/03/17 11:54 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

My Super Duper backups are clones, so I guess I'm in good shape.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
tacit #44536 05/08/17 12:35 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

….I just want to be sure I can restore the deleted files either from my Time Machine or Super Duper backups.

Why should that happen after I have I have indicated, by signing out, that I do not wish to be connected to iCloud anymore? It seems to me that any further poking around on my machine after the disconnect is invasive.

I ask because, before going through the process of storing the files in a different location and then signing out, I ran a quick experiment. I put the Calendar files in Documents and then opened Calendars using the icon on my desktop.

I thought this would establish that the route to the Calendar files was now to Documents rather than the Library. However, my machine simply established a new Calendars file in Library, except that it was totally blank. I was able to put the new file in the trash and re-establish from a copy.

Was my understanding of the process not correct?

I am concerned that Apple's apparent wish to invade my privacy will leave me in a situation where I am constantly having to restore files.

Last edited by ryck; 05/08/17 12:45 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44539 05/08/17 05:37 PM

I thought this would establish that the route to the Calendar files was now to Documents rather than the Library. However, my machine simply established a new Calendars file in Library, except that it was totally blank. I was able to put the new file in the trash and re-establish from a copy.

Was my understanding of the process not correct?

Your system was doing exactly what it was designed to do when it recreated the empty calendar file. Relocating system files/databases is neither simple nor easy by design. While there are procedures for changing the physical location of the Photos and iTunes Libraries, as far as I know there is no way of changing the location of either the Calendar and Contacts databases through the GUI. Like most support files those locations are hard coded into the OS and the applications and do not take kindly to being moved. If you are good at Unix administration you might be able to fool the system into using a different location with hard links or even aliases, but that would invariably require high maintenance to keep it working and might have to be reset after any update or upgrade.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44541 05/09/17 01:25 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Your system was doing exactly what it was designed to do when it recreated the empty calendar file.

If you are good at Unix administration you might be able to fool the system….

Good at Unix? That ain't me….

….but that would invariably require high maintenance to keep it working

High level of maintenance? Definitely ain't me, either….

So, since iCloud does not recognize the Apple ID and Password that the rest of Apple recognizes…and they won't conduct the communication they promised when the issue was reported, I guess I'm stuck with the aggravating pop-up caution forever.

What a pain…...

Last edited by ryck; 05/09/17 01:33 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44543 05/09/17 02:44 PM

So, since iCloud does not recognize the Apple ID and Password that the rest of Apple recognizes…and they won't conduct the communication they promised when the issue was reported, I guess I'm stuck with the aggravating pop-up caution forever.

Have you talked with iCloud tech support about this matter?

I just got an advertisement from the new owner of Take Control Books and among other things he is touting…
Originally Posted By: TakeControlBooks
Next week, we’ll be rolling out a brand-new title from Scholle McFarland on how to use Apple’s Calendar and Reminders apps for macOS and iOS. If you’ve ever struggled with taming your events and reminders, you’ll want to get this book.
I obviously have not seen or read the book yet, but in light of this thread I thought you might want to check it out.

FULL DISCLOSURE: I have NO relationship with TakeControlBooks, pecuniary or otherwise, other than owning three iBooks from the same publisher. IMO they are decent introductions to their subject with enough depth and meat to actually be useful and worth their relatively modest price. Even better they offer a free trial chapter before you buy.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/09/17 03:06 PM. Reason: Add TakeControlBook note

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44561 05/11/17 12:15 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Have you talked with iCloud tech support about this matter?

I hadn't yet as Apple support had not responded, as they promised by mail. However, your link provided a way to get through by phone directly (took about three minutes) and an Apple support person resolved things. Thanks.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44563 05/11/17 01:09 AM

cool
Glad you got it fixed.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #44564 05/11/17 01:35 AM

tacit and others may be interested in learning how your problem was fixed.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44567 05/11/17 10:37 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
tacit and others may be interested in learning how your problem was fixed.

Except I'm not sure I have anything meaningful to offer, as the Apple support person did all the work. Quite a bit of it was while I sat on hold and he tinkered, getting the iCloud to recognize my Apple ID and Password.

Having established that connection, he had me sign in and sign out. When I gasped about signing out, and losing all my calendar entries, he said not to sweat it. Sure enough, when I signed back in, the Calendar re-populated with all my entries, save a few made in the last several days.

So, bottom line.... I'm not free of iCloud but at least I have minimal involvement...and the aggravating pop-up is gone.

Curiously, several days ago (prior to the Apple support fix) my iMac began coordinating mail with my iPad. That is, if I deleted an email on one, it would be deleted on the other. They have never done that....ever.

Last edited by ryck; 05/11/17 10:54 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #44791 06/01/17 01:22 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

My suggestion that the Apple technician solved the "aggravating pop-up" issue was not quite correct. By getting iCloud to acknowledge my Apple ID, he only solved the problem of it popping up continuously - simply downgrading the problem from a constant one to a periodic one similar to Tacit's.

I've tried signing out of iCloud (letting it delete all the synced info from my Mac) and signing back in, which solves the problem for a day or two, but like rainclouds on a day off it just keeps coming back.

Three times since my last posting I've got the following dialogue box when first booting my Mac.

This Mac can’t connect to iCloud because of a problem with "email address".

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem.

When I open the iCloud preferences, I get this dialgue box.

Enter the Apple ID password for "email address"

Enter your password to continue using iCloud on this Mac.

I enter the Apple ID Password, it signs in, I close the dialogue box and carry on.

Last edited by ryck; 06/01/17 02:30 PM. Reason: Complete information

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #44796 06/01/17 05:11 PM

My suggestion that the Apple technician solved the "aggravating pop-up" issue was not quite correct. By getting iCloud to acknowledge my Apple ID, he only solved the problem of it popping up continuously - simply downgrading the problem from a constant one to a periodic one similar to Tacit's.

I've tried signing out of iCloud (letting it delete all the synced info from my Mac) and signing back in, which solves the problem for a day or two, but like rainclouds on a day off it just keeps coming back.

Three times since my last posting I've got the following dialogue box when first booting my Mac.

This Mac can’t connect to iCloud because of a problem with "email address".

Open iCloud preferences to fix this problem.

When I open the iCloud preferences, I get this dialgue box.

Enter the Apple ID password for "email address"

Enter your password to continue using iCloud on this Mac.

I enter the Apple ID Password, it signs in, I close the dialogue box and carry on.

When a problem like this was reported on in the past, it was suggested that the problem really resides on the side of the ISP/network/server. There is nothing wrong with your e-mail address or password; when Apple cannot make the necessary connections it sometimes will default to the ID/password problem scenario even though the problem may have been something else related to the connection.

On a Mac since 1984.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard