for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Is there an iOS version for adults?
#44313 04/13/17 10:11 PM
OP Offline

I just downloaded the latest version of iOS 10.3.1, with my usual sense of trepidation. I wouldn't have bothered, except that I know that the damn phone would keep harassing me until I finally gave in and did it.

The result:
A previous problem recurred with all of my available storage space having disappeared.

Some idiotic "features" that might be popular with pre-teens have appeared in the messaging app. This doesn't really matter, because with the new update, I can no longer send messages anyway.

I haven't yet figured out what else they've broken with this update. Stay tuned.

The fact is, I utterly despise iOS. I may be a perennial Mac fan, but never ever an iOS fan. I've used Android, and I like it despite its problems. Android is a real operating system. Unless Apple makes some drastic changes to both iOS and their attitude (and we know there's no chance of that happening), my next phone will be Android.

If I want to get my iPhone working again, it looks as if I'll have to do another factory reset, and restore. I have better things to do with my time than spending hours fixing my phone after an iOS update.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Re: Is there an iOS version for adults?
Bob_00001 #44315 04/13/17 10:36 PM

Perhaps if you could be a bit more specific about the problems you are encountering someone could help you. I am currently running iOS 10.3.2 beta 2 and so far I have had only one problem and that was with a third party app whose developer had quit supporting.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bob_00001 #44318 04/13/17 11:09 PM
OP Offline

1. The out of storage problem that I discussed here:
https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=43325#Post43325
has returned. Hopefully, a factory reset followed by a restore will fix it, as it did before. Still, it's an hours long process that I could do without.

2. I attempted to reply to a couple of text messages, but when I hit the send button, nothing happens. One was an iMessage, and the other was a regular text message.

This is only a few hours after the update, so I have no idea what other horrors are lurking within.

Personally, I think it's because I'm using an iPhone 5, and Apple would like to sell me a new phone. So, they're deliberately trying to make life miserable for owners of older phones.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #44323 04/14/17 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Bob_00001

Personally, I think it's because I'm using an iPhone 5, and Apple would like to sell me a new phone. So, they're deliberately trying to make life miserable for owners of older phones.

Probably not the news you want to hear, Bob, but I too am using an up to date iPhone 5, and AFAIK, it works as well as the day it was new.

About 3 years ago, there was recall/free fix of some sort. Sorry, I don't recall the specifics, but maybe that "fix" will also resolve your problem. A slim chance, but worth a try (IMNHO). And as part of that recall, Apple installs a new (free) battery.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bob_00001 #44324 04/14/17 10:34 AM

Since seeing/responding to this thread, I've been doing some snooping about...

It seems the discussion Here may be helpful.

I found the discussion re phone cleaners especially enlightening.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Bob_00001 #44326 04/14/17 06:33 PM

1. The out of storage problem that I discussed here:
https://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=43325#Post43325
has returned. Hopefully, a factory reset followed by a restore will fix it, as it did before. Still, it's an hours long process that I could do without.

I recall your out-of-storage woes; I was experiencing similar issues. After I did the latest iPhone iOS update however, I GAINED back 3 GB (yes, gigabytes) of free space on the phone. I have read elsewhere of others reporting this 3 GB number. I was doing this on an iPhone 6, so maybe that's the difference.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Bob_00001 #44328 04/15/17 03:22 AM
OP Offline

Pendragon, Thanks for the link, but I looked at that page and many more the first time I ran into the out of storage problem. I tried all of the fixes, but none of them worked. In the end, I had to do a factory reset of the phone and then a restore from backup to fix the problem. So, I'll do that again when I have a few hours to kill.

It just ticks me off that I have to go through this grief every time there's an OS update.

FYI, I had the phone replaced two years ago because of a battery problem. So it's probably a recent hardware revision if not the latest.

As for messaging, it appears that it's working again. I don't know what I did, but it is working now, except for another newly added juvenile "feature". It appears that I can't send a message unless it goes with some kind of asinine special effect: "Slam", "Loud", "Gentle" or "Invisible Ink". I wonder why they didn't include "obnoxious", "infantile" or "idiotic" just to round out the list?

Does anyone know how to just send the effing text message without all the moronic special effects?

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
Bob_00001 #44330 04/15/17 07:55 AM

It may be a bit more apparent on the larger screen of my iPhone 7 Plus and 12" iPad Pro, but in Message in iOS 10.3.4 beta 2 getting to the special effects you mention is a two step process. Initially Message to the left of the text input screen there is a "Greater Than" arrow (>), Touching that icon brings up three icons....
  • A camera
  • A heart
  • And a graphics icon
You have to touch one of those to activate the different special features/effects you are talking about. Touch inside thr text entry field and those go away, On the iPhone If you touch inside the text field a microphone will appear at the left end of the text field to activate dictation. The microphone icon is at the right end of the field on the iPad and you have to hold it all the time you are dictating. If you start typing your message suggested emoji will appear among the suggested words below ther text entry field. Touching the emoji will replace the word you are typing with the emoji, but there again it akes a positive action on the user's part to initiate the feature.

Just be deliberate where you touch and any special effects are easy to avoid. In fact you have to be relatively intentional to bring them up. I have gotten to the point there it is usually easier and a LOT faster to dictate my message so erroneous fat fingering the keyboard is not an issue for me.

ADDENDUM 1: I think I just figured out what you were talking about and why I could not duplicate it. If you were referring to the floating balloons and other glitter that was appearing on all messages — that has already disappeared. It was a short term iOS 10.3 promotional gimmick that lasted only a few days and then self destructed. It should be long gone from your iPhone by now.

ADDENDUM 2: I know you won't be pleased to hear this and remember it is NOT official but the current thinking on the rumor sites is the popups that now appear when launching 32 bit iOS apps to the effect that you need to contact the developer and get them to update the app because Apple will be dropping support for 32 bit apps in a future release is a heads up that the iPhone 4 will not be supported in iOS 10.4.

Last edited by joemikeb; 04/15/17 02:05 PM. Reason: Addendum 1 and addendum 2

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Bob_00001 #44332 04/15/17 03:04 PM

As for messaging, it appears that it's working again. I don't know what I did, but it is working now, except for another newly added juvenile "feature". It appears that I can't send a message unless it goes with some kind of asinine special effect: "Slam", "Loud", "Gentle" or "Invisible Ink". I wonder why they didn't include "obnoxious", "infantile" or "idiotic" just to round out the list?

The special effects, like "Slam" and "Balloons", etc. are all still there, but you access them by pressing and holding on the blue iMessage "Send" arrow. You are pressing too hard and long when you go to send a text message. Lighten up wink and your messages will be sent in the usual normal mode.

P.S—should you actually choose to use one of the effects on a text message, they will only be seen by someone using iOS 10.2 or higher.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
joemikeb #44338 04/16/17 10:56 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I think I just figured out what you were talking about and why I could not duplicate it. If you were referring to the floating balloons and other glitter that was appearing on all messages — that has already disappeared. It was a short term iOS 10.3 promotional gimmick that lasted only a few days and then self destructed. It should be long gone from your iPhone by now.

Yes that was it exactly. And it does seem to be gone now. That's a relief.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6
joemikeb #44339 04/16/17 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
ADDENDUM 2: I know you won't be pleased to hear this and remember it is NOT official but the current thinking on the rumor sites is the popups that now appear when launching 32 bit iOS apps to the effect that you need to contact the developer and get them to update the app because Apple will be dropping support for 32 bit apps in a future release is a heads up that the iPhone 4 will not be supported in iOS 10.4.

I think you mean the iPhone 4S; my iPhone 4 can't run anything more recent that iOS 7.x.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44343 04/17/17 07:05 PM

it's interesting that the "s" variations of iPhones usually get one more version of supported OS than the regulars.

I'm still quite happy with my 5s

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Bob_00001 #44361 04/20/17 10:27 PM
OP Offline

Likewise, I'm happy with my iPhone 5 (at least the hardware part).

They haven't added anything to iOS since version 7 that I've found to be any use. The flashlight feature that they added in iOS 7 was useful. Since then, nothing.

MacBook Pro 15" (2015)
Sierra 10.12.6

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard