for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Mail problems
#44282 04/08/17 05:01 PM
OP Offline

I can't get my Yahoo mail into my mac mail. It also can't connect to my calendar and won't accept my password when trying to connect to calendar. I tried resetting the PRAM and resetting the router and modem. That seemed to work yesterday but not today. I can get other email, just not Yahoo.

Anyway, one of the suggestions was: Go to /Users/your_profile/Library/Mail/IMAP-account_concerned/. I should know this by now but how to I get to this? I went to the Library in Finder but then got lost.

Thanks.

Rita

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Mail problems
plantsower #44283 04/08/17 05:30 PM

You want ~/Library, not /Library. To get there, (in Finder) click Go > Go To Folder > and type ~/Library in the search box. Then, press Return. Look for the Mail folder.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #44284 04/08/17 06:29 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
You want ~/Library, not /Library. To get there, (in Finder) click Go > Go To Folder > and type ~/Library in the search box. Then, press Return. Look for the Mail folder.

Hi Jon:

Thanks. I was actually there via Finder, option, Go, Library, then onto mail. But I can't find the whole thing. This is the advice I am trying to follow:

If your mailbox is constantly spinning and mail is not coming or going, it means IMAP is not syncing. In this case, try these steps:

Close mail.app.
Go to /Users/your_profile/Library/Mail/IMAP-account_concerned/.
Delete hidden folder .OfflineCache.
Start mail.app again.
A new OfflineCache folder will get created.

Note: This will not delete any messages.

I can't find the offline cache folder.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44285 04/08/17 07:58 PM

I can't find that folder, either visible or invisible, on any system around here, but they are all running El Capitan or Sierra. Anyway an easy way to find any file or folder, if it exists, is to use a Finder Spotlight search...
  1. Click on your desktop
  2. Press ⌘F (Command+F)
  3. In the search bar of the Finder window that appears enter "offlinecache" sans the quotation marks
  4. at the right end of the line containing "Kind is Any" click on the Plus (+) sign to bring up a new selector option line.
  5. On that line change the settings to "File visibility" and "Visible or invisible" (you may have to click on Other in the list of selection criteria to find File Visibility)
Actually you can skip the first two steps and just use any open Finder window, When you enter a search argument in the search bar the other options appear.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44286 04/08/17 08:49 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I can't find that folder, either visible or invisible, on any system around here, but they are all running El Capitan or Sierra. Anyway an easy way to find any file or folder, if it exists, is to use a Finder Spotlight search...
  1. Click on your desktop
  2. Press ⌘F (Command+F)
  3. In the search bar of the Finder window that appears enter "offlinecache" sans the quotation marks
  4. at the right end of the line containing "Kind is Any" click on the Plus (+) sign to bring up a new selector option line.
  5. On that line change the settings to "File visibility" and "Visible or invisible" (you may have to click on Other in the list of selection criteria to find File Visibility)
Actually you can skip the first two steps and just use any open Finder window, When you enter a search argument in the search bar the other options appear.

I did what you said but never got those options. I diid steps 1 and 2 and typed in offlinecache. I clicked the plus sign. There was no File Visibiity or Visible or Invisible option. So I clicked on "other" on "KIND" and only found File Invisible. When I clicked Other by "Any" I got a little open window that I could type into. I didn't know what to put.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44287 04/08/17 09:29 PM

I was perhaps not completely clear in my instructions, after all I knew what I meant smirk
Under "Other" if you click on the "File Invisible" option it will add that to the list you can select from. It appears on the section bar as "File Visibility" and a drop down menu with two three options
  • Visible Items
  • Invisible items
  • Visible or invisible
I chose "Visible or invisible" just in case. I still came up empty.

While I am thinking about it, have you rebuilt your mailboxes? That has been known to clear up apparently unrelated email problems. Remember each mailbox must be rebuilt individually. You will find that on the Mail menubar under Mailboxes.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44288 04/08/17 09:37 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I was perhaps not completely clear in my instructions, after all I knew what I meant smirk
Under "Other" if you click on the "File Invisible" option it will add that to the list you can select from. It appears on the section bar as "File Visibility" and a drop down menu with two three options
  • Visible Items
  • Invisible items
  • Visible or invisible
I chose "Visible or invisible" just in case. I still came up empty.

While I am thinking about it, have you rebuilt your mailboxes? That has been known to clear up apparently unrelated email problems. Remember each mailbox must be rebuilt individually. You will find that on the Mail menubar under Mailboxes.

I have thought about rebuilding my mailboxes (I didn't know each one had to be done individually). Yikes I have a slew of them. But I was worried I would lose info. I know I can back them up on my external hard drive but I don't want to have to refer to that should I lose stuff.

Also, at least in my Yahoo account, almost all the mailboxes I care about are also on the Yahoo Mail website so that wouldn't be so scary. Since that's the one that is causing me problems, maybe I would only have to rebuilt that one?

I guess I won't bother with the Finder stuff since you can't find it either. frown

Thanks for your help.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44360 04/20/17 10:55 AM

Re: " . . . maybe I would only have to rebuilt that one/"

--------------------------------

I was having a similar issue with YAHOO, but not HOTMAIL (i.e. when I connected to mail, a little HAZARD TRIANGLE would appear next to my Yahoo folders).

So I did a rebuild on the Yahoo folders - I only have five - and the problem seems to have righted itself . . . for now, anyway. blush

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard