FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Trash?
#44248 04/04/17 02:02 PM
OP Offline

Just noticed this on 10.12....

I have "show hidden files" enabled on Finder. I was looking for my .Trash folder in my home, and it wasn't there. But I could throw things into the trash.

So I used an easy trick, I opened the trash and saw the deleted item, and opened a terminal window and dragged it (dragged the folder icon at the top of the window left of the name in the title) into the terminal to see the full path. And yes there it is, /Users/virtual1/.Trash/img001.jpg

Looking again in my home I see all the usual hidden files and folders, like .ssh and .dropbox but I notice stuff is missing. Like .DS_Store and .Trash ... so where did they go?

I scrolled down and find Trash... it's a hidden folder, but not near the top (sorted by name with the rest of the "dot files"), it's down in the T because the name is "Trash"... NOT ".Trash" - is THAT my trash? hmmm...

I have "show full path in menubar" enabled in Finder, and I see at the top of my Trash folder it confirms the path is "/Users/virtual1/.Trash". So I select that window and hit opt-cmd-uparrow to move to parent, which I know will also select the folder. And it selects "Trash".

So Finder seems to be doing some weirdness with it and is a bit skitzo....

And FWIW, .DS_Store shows up fine in terminal but is completely missing from Finder. confused

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Re: Trash?
Virtual1 #44265 04/05/17 06:00 AM

I noticed a while ago that there wasn't a .DS_Store file on my desktop when I showed invisibles, but I just scratched my head and let it pass.

Following up on your post, though, I threw the question at EasyFind, which easily found 260 such files in my Sierra installation, not a single one of which can be revealed by command-R, even with invisibles showing.

Guess: Apple did the same sort of thing to those files as they did to ~Library back in Lion or Mountain Lion, because too many people were taking advantage of the "clean up your Mac" .DS_Store file removal apps without really knowing what they were doing, and their switchboard was being swamped with "What happened?" calls.

A Google search confirms that this boon to Mac-dom first turned up in the Sierra betas.

I see the same thing you see regarding .Trashes/Trash in my home folder, but a quick search didn't find a reason.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard