FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Can't Work Apple Hardware Test
#44135 03/27/17 05:49 PM
OP Offline

I looked at the previous posts, (some of them) and I need more info.

I tried doing the hardware test by shutting down my computer, turning it back on and pressing "D". I never got the Hardware Test Icon. Instead I got a slowly spinning world globe icon and a "Choose Network" drop down box.

I clicked on the box and there were no network choices except something with 3 dots. I clicked on that and got two boxes. One was preceded by the Wi-fi Icon so i put in our Wi-fi name. The other was preceded by a lock icon. I didn't know what to put so I put my admin name. That didn't work. Then I put in my router number. That didn't work.

I went back to the drop down box and click "choose network" again. This time there was no drop down choice at all, not even the 3 dots. I finally just shut down my mac and started it up again.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

MacBook Pro - M2, Ventura 13.6
Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Re: Can't Work Apple Hardware Test
plantsower #44136 03/27/17 06:07 PM

I believe the box with the lock icon was expecting the password for your WiFi network.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #44138 03/27/17 07:30 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I believe the box with the lock icon was expecting the password for your WiFi network.
. My password for my wi-fi is my router number. My admin password is different. I tried them both. But, why didn't I get the hardware Test icon which is a picture of a computer?

Last edited by plantsower; 03/27/17 07:31 PM.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44140 03/27/17 08:53 PM

Hi, Rita,

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac may help.

Originally Posted By: Apple
Learn more

Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

If you're using OS X Lion v10.7 or earlier and you can't get AHT to start, see if you have an OS X installation disc named “Applications Install Disc 2.” Insert the disc in your internal optical drive or external Apple SuperDrive before following the steps above. Or, if you're using a MacBook Air (Late 2010), plug the MacBook Air Software Reinstall thumb drive into your USB port instead.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44141 03/27/17 09:04 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
Hi, Rita,

How to use Apple Hardware Test on your Mac may help.

Originally Posted By: Apple
Learn more

Some Mac computers that shipped with OS X Lion v10.7 or later will start up from AHT over the Internet if your startup disk doesn't contain AHT, or if you hold down Option-D at startup. This requires an Internet connection over Ethernet or Wi-Fi.

If you're using OS X Lion v10.7 or earlier and you can't get AHT to start, see if you have an OS X installation disc named “Applications Install Disc 2.” Insert the disc in your internal optical drive or external Apple SuperDrive before following the steps above. Or, if you're using a MacBook Air (Late 2010), plug the MacBook Air Software Reinstall thumb drive into your USB port instead.

Hi Artie!!

That is actually the website I used. I have OS 10.9.5 so I assume I am supposed to use the AHT. I never went onto Yosemite so I'm not sure why it isn't working for me.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44142 03/27/17 10:48 PM

Long time no problems, Rita! smile

If "D" didn't boot you into AHT it sounds like it ought to be on one of the discs that came with your MBP, but since it apparently shipped with Mt. Lion, apparently not; did you look for the referenced disc?

I believe this is dependent on which version of OS X your MBP shipped with rather than which version it's running.

If it's not on a disc, "D" or command-D ought to get you to a dropdown with a list of all available networks from which you choose yours and enter your password as prompted, but that doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

Too bad you can't take a screenshot.

Why don't you try again, but with command-D this time?

Last edited by artie505; 03/28/17 12:24 AM. Reason: Expand +

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44145 03/28/17 12:51 AM
OP Offline

It didn't come with any discs! mad
Long time no problems, Rita! smile

If "D" didn't boot you into AHT it sounds like it ought to be on one of the discs that came with your MBP, but since it apparently shipped with Mt. Lion, apparently not; did you look for the referenced disc?

I believe this is dependent on which version of OS X your MBP shipped with rather than which version it's running.

If it's not on a disc, "D" or command-D ought to get you to a dropdown with a list of all available networks from which you choose yours and enter your password as prompted, but that doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

Too bad you can't take a screenshot.

Why don't you try again, but with command-D this time?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44146 03/28/17 01:26 AM

As I suspected.

In that case, "D" ought to work, but since it apparently didn't, try command-D.

By the way, why are you trying to boot into AHT? What's up with your MBP?

artie505 #44147 03/28/17 02:45 AM
OP Offline

As I suspected.

In that case, "D" ought to work, but since it apparently didn't, try command-D.

By the way, why are you trying to boot into AHT? What's up with your MBP?

I tried Command D and it just restarted my computer and loaded everything up. I tried Option D and got the same thing with regular D.

My computer has been running very slowly for awhile now. I have quite a bit of
hard drive storage (I am only using 453G out or 500 G.) I haven't added any ram but why should I? I don't plays games and only surf and do email mostly. I used OnyX to clean stuff up but it doesn't help speed things up. I haven't added any new plug-ins in quite awhile. I'm stumped. So, I thought maybe my hard drive was going.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44148 03/28/17 05:41 AM

Originally Posted By: plantsower
I tried Command D and it just restarted my computer and loaded everything up. I tried Option D and got the same thing with regular D.

hard drive storage (I am only using 453G out or 500 G.) I haven't added any ram but why should I? I don't plays games and only surf and do email mostly. I used OnyX to clean stuff up but it doesn't help speed things up. I haven't added any new plug-ins in quite awhile. I'm stumped. So, I thought maybe my hard drive was going.

Oops! I meant to say option-D. blush

Your symptoms don't sound like your HD is going, but it won't hurt to run AHT.

Can you post an iPhone pic of the "D"/option-D screen that's got you stymied so we can see what's happening? There's no apparent reason why you shouldn't be able to boot into AHT.

artie505 #44155 03/28/17 03:31 PM
OP Offline

Oops! I meant to say option-D. blush

Your symptoms don't sound like your HD is going, but it won't hurt to run AHT.

Can you post an iPhone pic of the "D"/option-D screen that's got you stymied so we can see what's happening? There's no apparent reason why you shouldn't be able to boot into AHT.

Before I do that, this is the response I got from another forum. What do you think? Also, is there a way to upload an iPhone pic? If not, I guess I could maybe do a screen shot.

Go to the link below and download the AHT for MBP 9.1. Burn it to a USB thumb drive formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) in Disk Utility. Drag the AHT image (after expanding) on the Desktop, or in the Downloads folder depending where you have placed it. W ith the thumb drive in the USB slot, reboot and hold down Option immediately after the chime, and select the full test. The reason your Mac does not do the 'D' process it is just a year too old or so for that to work hence the download method.

As Mavericks is no longer being supported with crucial Security Updates, you might wish to upgrade the operating system. This will also upgrade Safari to version 10.

https://github.com/upekkha/AppleHardwareTest

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44159 03/28/17 05:45 PM

. My password for my wi-fi is my router number. My admin password is different. I tried them both. But, why didn't I get the hardware Test icon which is a picture of a computer?

try holding "A" or "D" at boot for the hardware test. If it tries to run it over the internet, you should use a WIRED ethernet connection.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #44160 03/28/17 06:08 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

try holding "A" or "D" at boot for the hardware test. If it tries to run it over the internet, you should use a WIRED ethernet connection.

As you can see above, "D" didn't work for me. When I get a chance, I will try "A". If no dice, the ethernet trick. Otherwise, I will probably have to try what I mentioned above with a thumb drive. Thanks for your response.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44164 03/28/17 09:20 PM

I was going to hold off a bit to see how you made out before responding, but I just flashed on a problem kinda similar to yours that I recently ran into while doing an Internet recovery on my daughter's new MBP, the solution to which turned out to be the old, reliable, easy as pie unplug your router for a few minutes to reset it.

Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier. :duh:

artie505 #44165 03/28/17 10:05 PM
OP Offline

I was going to hold off a bit to see how you made out before responding, but I just flashed on a problem kinda similar to yours that I recently ran into while doing an Internet recovery on my daughter's new MBP, the solution to which turned out to be the old, reliable, easy as pie unplug your router for a few minutes to reset it.

Don't know why it didn't occur to me earlier. :duh:

Do you mean unplugging my router would make the "D" protocol work?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44167 03/28/17 10:15 PM

It may correct your inability to connect to your network, which, I believe, is your "D" problem. (Give it around five minutes, and good luck! smile )

artie505 #44168 03/28/17 10:18 PM
OP Offline

It may correct your inability to connect to your network, which, I believe, is your "D" problem. (Give it around five minutes, and good luck! smile )

Wow, I hope that's all it is. Otherwise I have to buy a thumb drive and go through a bunch of steps.... frown I'll do it later. I'm feeling overwhelmed right now. Thanks, Artie.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44169 03/28/17 10:26 PM

You've also got V1's "A" and hard-wired Ethernet to try before you go the thumb drive route.

artie505 #44171 03/28/17 10:29 PM
OP Offline

You've also got V1's "A" and hard-wired Ethernet to try before you go the thumb drive route.

Oh, right. I already forgot. Told you I was over whelmed. I will make a list!

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44172 03/28/17 10:55 PM

Hard-wired Ethernet may be no more than a workaround for unplugging a wonky router.

artie505 #44173 03/29/17 12:28 AM
OP Offline

Hard-wired Ethernet may be no more than a workaround for unplugging a wonky router.

OK. Lots to try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

artie505 #44185 03/29/17 07:50 PM
OP Offline

I hooked up the Ethernet Cable and that took care of it. I also got a clean bill of health as far as hardware! I just wish I knew why it's running slow, freezes at times and also the rainbow beach ball shows up a lot.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Virtual1 #44186 03/29/17 07:51 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1

What finally worked was hooking up the ethernet cable. Thanks for your suggestions. I never would have thought of that.

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

plantsower #44187 03/29/17 08:03 PM

I hooked up the Ethernet Cable and that took care of it. I also got a clean bill of health as far as hardware! I just wish I knew why it's running slow, freezes at times and also the rainbow beach ball shows up a lot.

That sounds like low memory to me. Especially the spinning beachball, which indicates the computer has run out of RAM and is using the hard disk as RAM.

How much RAM do you have?

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #44190 03/29/17 08:53 PM
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit

That sounds like low memory to me. Especially the spinning beachball, which indicates the computer has run out of RAM and is using the hard disk as RAM.

How much RAM do you have?

4 gigs. Could it have to do with the fact that I usually have a lot of tabs open?

Safari Tech Prev 17.0
Safari 16.6
Firefox 116.0.2
iPhone 7 Version 15.8

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard