FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Itunes: Move a Song easily in Playlist?
#43992 03/16/17 03:19 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I updating a lot of playlist with remastered songs. Problem is itunes drops the new version down at bottom of 15, 000 songs and only way to get it to replace old version is dragging up for 4 minutes. Anyway to just move it to a new song# in playlist? Thanks.

Update: I have been trying to do replace old/ new in finder, but very hairy for some reason. Anyone gone to battle doing this? Repleacing old songs with updates/ remasters?

Re: Itunes: Move a Song easily in Playlist?
kevs #43995 03/16/17 01:30 PM

If you have your tunes stored on iCloud ie. using the copy from Apple's iTunes library, those updates are automatic when Apple updates the tune in their library, which they do frequently.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #43997 03/16/17 02:08 PM

If you do "Get Info…" on the song, under the "Details" tab you can manually change the track number.

For example, you can change it from 2317 of 15000 to 8 of 15000. That should reposition it, if not physically, at least while playing.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #43998 03/16/17 02:37 PM

Doug Adams is the iTunes guru; he's written 466 AppleScripts for manipulating iTunes, including Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes - Managing Playlists, one of which may be what you're looking for.

If you don't see your answer, email him with your question; he's extremely helpful.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Ira L #43999 03/16/17 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
If you do "Get Info…" on the song, under the "Details" tab you can manually change the track number.

For example, you can change it from 2317 of 15000 to 8 of 15000. That should reposition it, if not physically, at least while playing.

Don't those track numbers relate to a song's position on the medium on which it's included, rather than in iTunes, itself?

As far as I've ever seen, iTunes doesn't attach track numbers to songs on its own.

Last edited by artie505; 03/16/17 04:47 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #44001 03/16/17 06:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, Arti, Ira.

My library and songs are on a hardrive, not cloud. I'll try to email Doug if I can find his direct contact.

Here are some notes I took last night in word, struggling with the issue. I do think a finder replace what you have is best way. But hairy for some reason. There old tracks have track number, song, album etc, and I want to keep that exact. And it's in playlist or two...

Notes from last nights battle.

REPLACING OLD SONG WITH UPDATED VERSION

select song in library. right click and select show in finder. You'll see a folder of songs by that artist (hopefully by album). Just override the songs there with your new better quality songs.

CDs, select all , select none
Command A, command option A

BRING NEW tracks into the same folder as old. Then name new as same as old with one letter different at end. Delete old. Then make new as old .

May still play one in the trash. Click play in finder of the new to activate it. No don’t activate it will disappear — go to unknown album.
Or may have to locate it and manually find it and select it.

But then it’s now in playlist ok, but also at bottom of songs as track #, and if delete it, all work is done.
One at bottom in songs does not have comment or album in info. Ok to delete it to trash. But then if do show in finder, it’s playing it from the trash! Pulled it out of the albums and into trash.

So everything works but you have two copies in library and you cannot get rid of the extraneous one.
But then vanished from the bottom, but another unrelated song is now at the bottom. And it’s in unknown album, now the source for something that was before source in the album of the artist.

kevs #44048 03/19/17 02:18 AM

This has been bothering me, kevs, and I think I just hit on why.

Depending on how you've got your songs sorted, i.e. which iTunes column is named in bold print, newly added songs may, but only may, go to the bottom of your 15,000 song list; a "Name" sort will group all songs with the same name together, which, if I follow your OP, will allow you do what you want to do, easily.

I'll concede, though, that I may have misunderstood your OP, because playlists seem to be both involved and out of context at the same time.

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard