FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Delete Widget
MG2009 #43982 03/15/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
My "Get Info" does not indicate the type of HD on the Mac . . . only that it is formatted as "OS Extended (journaled) and its GB size.

Sounds like you did your Get Info on your HD's icon on your desktop rather than on its listing in /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43983 03/15/17 05:19 PM

RE: "Sounds like you did your Get Info on your HD's icon on your desktop . . . "

-------------

Oops. I just noticed in your earlier post that you were referring to EXTERNAL drives.

FWIW: I did check the INTERNAL in Applications/Utilities/DU and that "Get Info" says it is a 500 GB SATA Internal Physical Disk - no further specs on the kind of disk.

MG2009 #43984 03/15/17 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
FWIW: I did check the INTERNAL in Applications/Utilities/DU and that "Get Info" says it is a 500 GB SATA Internal Physical Disk - no further specs on the kind of disk.

What version of MacOS are you using? In either El Capitan (OS X 10.11) or Sierra (MacOS 10.12) the info button in Disk Utility yields a lot more data than you are seeing as you can see in these screen shots of both an SSD and a Rotating Rust drive.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43985 03/15/17 06:33 PM

Yes . . . it shows more info, but I only mentioned that which was specific to the post i.e. no where is it stated in "Get Info" that the disk is a HD.

In this regard, all that is listed for me is that it is a "Physical Disk" (and "Hitachi ######### Media.)

Note: MBPro with Sierra.

MG2009 #43986 03/15/17 07:20 PM

Did you scroll down to the bottom of the listing where it says Solid State: No or maybe Yes?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43987 03/15/17 07:39 PM

Yes, scrolling down does show that "SSD : No."

However, the information I provided was merely to indicate that the "Get Info" does not call the disk a HD - just an internal physical disk by Hitachi.

Just wondering: Should a new thread be started here . . . We have moved well beyond the original discussion of Widgets. Anyone looking for info on HD/SSD will not likely look under a heading called "Delete Widget." smirk

joemikeb #44033 03/18/17 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: artie505
Disk Utility > Get Info on both my thumb drive and SSD external shows "Solid State: No".

I wonder why it makes a commitment?

You did not say how your external drives are attached, but the type of data required for Disk Utility to determine the drive type is not provided in most of the bus standards, certainly not in USB or Firewire. (That is why SMART values cannot be determined for external drives.) I can only guess at why Disk Utility makes a "commitment" is this is a situation that is not provided for in the Disk Utility code.

There are two plausible reasons that this situation is not provided for...
  1. The least likely reason being an oversite in the code design
  2. The more likely reason, there is no reasonable way to determine the specific situation
In either case the report is erroneous and you might wish to submit Feedback to Apple.

Both drives connect via USB, so it's understandable that Disk Utility can't identify them as HDD or SSD.

If there's no reasonable way to determine the specific situation, then Disk Utility's reporting as if a determination had been made is, indeed, an oversite in the code design. tongue

Feedback submitted.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard