FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 37 of 40 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
Virtual1 #46381 09/20/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
as twisted as it seems on the surface, Trump may be the one person in a position of power that is enough of a loose cannon to actually scare (or somehow force?) that brat into behaving...

Or.....Trump handed him the best argument he could have for building a nuclear arsenal - "When a bullying lunatic like Trump can get to be the leader of the most powerful nation on earth, it behooves me and everyone else to be prepared."

And why wouldn't North Korea think so.....the maniac in the White House has just said he's prepared to slaughter 25 million people.

In my opinion, Trump has been outplayed. The North Koreans have watched how reactive he is, and Kim Jong Un has got him to make statements that have convinced other world leaders Trump is the nuttier of the two.

Last edited by ryck; 09/20/17 07:00 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #46387 09/20/17 09:47 PM

as twisted as it seems on the surface, Trump may be the one person in a position of power that is enough of a loose cannon to actually scare (or somehow force?) that brat into behaving... wouldn't that be an interesting legacy? Leaving an "all things considered, there IS one thing he did that the whole world actually appreciated..."
(so long as he doesn't somehow start WW3 anyway!)

Is this a case of it takes a psychopath to scare a psychopath or is it they are both so psychotically juvenile they understand one another's babbling/tweeting? confused

In either case it is very very scary!

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #46399 09/21/17 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
In my opinion, Trump has been outplayed. The North Koreans have watched how reactive he is, and Kim Jong Un has got him to make statements that have convinced other world leaders Trump is the nuttier of the two.

And, as though a Trump wasn't certain that world leaders were convinced that he has absolutely zero grasp on world affairs, he decided to remove all doubt at a lunch with leaders of African nations.

Har, har, har. You just can't make this stuff up. Har, har, har.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46405 09/21/17 10:05 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

That's as good as Dan Quayle's gaffe when he was Vice President. He visited several Latin America countries in South America and expressed regret that he had never studied Latin. Trump's gaffes, however, are more serious by far.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #46408 09/21/17 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Trump's gaffes, however, are more serious by far.

For sure.....Trump is sending America's reputation, and status as a world leader, straight down the porcelain facility.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #46413 09/22/17 03:54 PM

"North Korea: Trump and Kim call each other mad"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41356836

Well they're probably both right there.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #46424 09/24/17 02:01 PM

"North Korea: Trump and Kim call each other mad"

And, as if that schoolyard bully name-calling wasn't enough, Trump has decided that he should scrap with NFL players. However the upside to the NFL spat (as if the President doesn't have more important things to do) is that it provides an opportunity to compare a reasoned response to Trump's brief diatribe.

This link. says it all.

Last edited by ryck; 09/24/17 02:07 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46425 09/24/17 02:53 PM

... as if the President doesn't have more important things to do ... )

He doesn't. crazy Haven't you been paying attention ?! wink tongue

Someone who spends the day relentlessly tweeting rather than attending to affairs of state clearly has no concept of the job much less the capacity to carry such out.

On the good ship Lollipop ... tra la (with sincerest apologies to the memory of Shirley Temple).

grelber #46427 09/24/17 04:20 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm not a sports fan, but I fully admire the players and owners. N.F.L.: Tom Brady Locks Arms With Patriots During Anthem

EDIT: The name "Patriots" is entirely appropriate. I don't remember who said it, but dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Last edited by jchuzi; 09/24/17 04:21 PM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #46438 09/25/17 06:13 PM

Y'know ...

... if America's going to be led by the equivalent of a walking, talking infantile troll doll, it might be better to choose a TV personality with a proven track record in portraying an American president, to wit, Kiefer Sutherland ("Designated Survivor").

What's more, he comes with political credentials of a very meaningful sort: His maternal grandfather was Tommy Douglas, who founded the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation in the 1930s; it evolved into the New Democratic Party, which he also led. He and his party first advocated for programs such as "Medicare, a Canada-wide pension plan and bargaining rights for civil servants" which "are now ... firmly in place and universally accepted in Canada." [The Canadian Encyclopedia, 1985, p 508]

Couldn't hurt.

jchuzi #46439 09/25/17 07:57 PM

I'm not a sports fan, but I fully admire the players and owners. N.F.L.: Tom Brady Locks Arms With Patriots During Anthem

EDIT: The name "Patriots" is entirely appropriate. I don't remember who said it, but dissent is the highest form of patriotism.

Wouldn't a simple solution be not to play the National Anthem prior to every sporting event? The United States is the only country in the world (go ahead and refute this statement! smirk ) that plays its anthem prior to sporting events.

Of course that could open arguments as to what should be played. Hmm. How about nothing?!

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46456 09/27/17 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Wouldn't a simple solution be not to play the National Anthem prior to every sporting event? The United States is the only country in the world (go ahead and refute this statement! smirk ) that plays its anthem prior to sporting events.

As my total knowledge of sports could probably fit into a gnat's cap, I can't comment with first-hand knowledge. However, I checked with my wife, who knows lots about sports (particularly if it involves Canadian teams) and was informed: "We play the national anthem prior to games and, if there's a team from another country, we play their anthem too."

Last edited by ryck; 09/27/17 02:33 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #46457 09/27/17 02:37 PM

I'm not a sports fan, but I fully admire the players and owners.

In Monday's monologue, Stephen Colbert shows very clearly that Trump's comments have everything to do with race.

Last edited by ryck; 09/27/17 02:52 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46459 09/27/17 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

As my total knowledge of sports could probably fit into a gnat's cap, I can't comment with first-hand knowledge. However, I checked with my wife, who knows lots about sports (particularly if it involves Canadian teams) and was informed: "We play the national anthem prior to games and, if there's a team from another country, we play their anthem too."

Interestingly, the Canadian anthem at hockey games is an imposition of the American entity, the National Hockey League (NHL):
"The NHL requires arenas in both the U.S. and Canada to perform both the Canadian and American national anthems at games that involve teams from both countries, and it is usual for both American and Canadian anthems to be played at Major League Baseball games involving the Toronto Blue Jays, the only Canadian MLB team." (Wikipedia)

Are there any other Canadian-only sports at which the Canadian anthem is played? I'll go out on a limb and say "no". crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #46462 09/27/17 06:09 PM

I recall standing at the end of a theatrical performance in London, England to sing "God Save Our Queen" and I had always assumed that was customary throughout the United Kingdom. National anthems are played at the presentation of medals at the Olympics. So the tradition of singing national anthems at events, including spring events, has a long and rich history.

Since 911, singing the Unite States national anthem at the beginning of all sorts of public events from baseball and football games to symphonic concerts as a symbol of our unity as a nation has become ubiquitous. I was unaware the practice was dictated by anything other than custom. What Herr Trump and his followers miss is our national anthem is in effect a tribute not only to the nation but to our constitution that GUARANTEES the individual right and privilege of legally protesting what any individual views as wrong or unjust. The NFL teams have clearly demonstrated the players, coaches, and owners recognize this guarantee and honor it. Sadly, this has also clearly demonstrated that our president is…
  1. Ignorant of the constitution he took an oath to protect and defend
  2. willing to flout the constitution by placing his own racial prejudices above it
  3. exercising his own freedom of speech to protest anyone else having freedom of speech.
Personally I think the actions of the NFL teams is a high point in professional sports and long may that continue. Maybe the political troglodytes in our country will get the message about the constitution they obviously missed in school.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #46662 10/18/17 08:38 AM

The last couple of days I've been astounded at the spectacle of the U.S. Scapecoater-In-Chief using the deaths of the four soldiers ambushed in Niger to pat himself on the back and lie about previous Presidents' compassion for the fallen. I thought: "Well, this is about as profane as Trump can get."

I was wrong.

President Five Deferments outdid himself with the most insensitive comment possible to the young widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson.

Last edited by ryck; 10/18/17 01:53 PM. Reason: Title correction

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46663 10/18/17 10:11 AM

The last couple of days I've been astounded at the spectacle of the U.S. Scapecoat-In-Chief using the deaths of the four soldiers ambushed in Niger to pat himself on the back and lie about previous Presidents' compassion for the fallen. I thought: "Well, this is about as profane as Trump can get."

I was wrong.

President Five Deferments outdid himself with the most insensitive comment possible to the young widow of Army Sgt. La David Johnson.

You expected compassion and kindness?!
The American people got what they signed up for. Stupid, stupid people.

grelber #46664 10/18/17 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
The American people got what they signed up for.

Except that a majority of voters wanted someone else, but the electoral system allowed the person with fewer votes to take the top office - just as the similarly flawed Canadian system is capable of doing. Both systems need fixing.

That being said, there definitely were a lot of dopes who voted for The Grand Orange.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46666 10/18/17 04:01 PM

... the electoral system allowed the person with fewer votes to take the top office - just as the similarly flawed Canadian system is capable of doing. Both systems need fixing.

We stand a better chance of that happening (in our lifetimes) than south of the border, where the moose-mess is constitutionally enshrined in the form of the Electoral College.
Our system of "first past the post" is nominally far easier to fix.

ryck #46669 10/18/17 09:54 PM

And I thought it couldn't get worse than that. Wrong again.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46674 10/20/17 04:02 PM

That Quartz article only scratches the surface. FWIW, John Kelly’s criticism of Rep. Frederica Wilson indicated where Trump’s insensitive comment originated (with Kelly himself, via his friend Gen. Joe Dunford), and shows exactly how Trump managed to mess that up with his paraphrasing. It also shows how Kelly derails just as badly when he, like his boss, lets emotions take the better of him.

Btw, ‘it’ can always get worse, particularly when ego takes the upper hand over politics and diplomacy, and omissions due to bad preparation plus outright lies ‘for the cause’ determine official responses. Consequently, this is to be continued…

alternaut moderator
alternaut #46675 10/20/17 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
FWIW, John Kelly’s criticism of Rep. Frederica Wilson indicated where Trump’s insensitive comment originated (with Kelly himself, via his friend Gen. Joe Dunford), and shows exactly how Trump managed to mess that up with his paraphrasing.

And, of course, General Kelly is confirming what everyone already knew: Donald Trump is a liar.

Trump has continually bleated "I never said that" accompanied by his typical threats "Let the Congresswoman accuse me again and see what happens" followed by his standard "I have proof". However General Kelly makes it clear that Trump did say what he denies having said, even if he meant something else.

Originally Posted By: alternaut
Btw, ‘it’ can always get worse, particularly when ego takes the upper hand over politics and diplomacy....

That's for sure. It became more disgusting when Trump, in his typical "not me, not me" whining, said: "When I spoke with that woman......" He didn't have the simple courtesy to say: "Mrs. Johnson" or "Myeshia Johnson". He said: "That woman".

Is it possible to have less class than Donald Trump? I think not.

Last edited by ryck; 10/20/17 09:31 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #46677 10/21/17 08:01 PM

Never say never. With the collection of know-nothings The Donald has gathered around himself, anything is possible.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #46680 10/23/17 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Never say never. With the collection of know-nothings The Donald has gathered around himself, anything is possible.

I suppose, but they'd sure have to work hard at it. Mrs. Johnson has been clear that Trump stumbled when trying to recall her husband's name, and yet the President finds it impossible to respond in a presidential manner.

Anyone else would call Mrs. Johnson again, apologize for any misunderstandings, and reassure Mrs. Johnson of the country's appreciation of her husband's sacrifice. Instead, the Great Orange Poobah decided that he should call the Gold Star Widow, mother of two tots and an unborn child, a liar.

Trump tweeted: "I had a very respectful conversation with the widow of Sgt. La David Johnson, and spoke his name from beginning, without hesitation!"

Last edited by ryck; 10/23/17 06:30 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #46728 10/29/17 09:35 AM

Page 37 of 40 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard