An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When is an Excel file getting too big?
alternaut #4289 09/24/09 07:13 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks. See my next post.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
JoBoy #4298 09/24/09 08:16 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

This problem is getting more complex. I created a new workbook with one worksheet. The file is 45Kb in size. I did a search and replace that found three locations where I replaced existing text. The search and replace window started acting strange. When I clicked Find Next, it continued to "find" the same three location even after they had been replaced. I should have received a notice that no more search items were found. I then pressed Cmd-S to Save and Excel disappeared from the screen. Also, all icons on the Desktop and the Dock disappeared leaving the custom photo that is my normal Desktop all alone. Then, the machine automatically restarted and the Desktop became normal. I restarted Excel and a version of the worksheet that crashed appeared with (recovered) added to the filename. It was current except the Find and Replace changes were not there. I then opened Activity Monitor and watched its readings while I repeated exactly what I had done before, but when I got to the Save part, the file saved normally and remained OK. During the failed attempt to recreate the crash, Activity Monitor showed VM size: 113.09Gb; Page ins: 436.1Mb; Page outs: 756Kb, and Swap Used: 0 bytes. Does anyone have an idea of what is going on?

The only suspicion I still harbor is that, when my Mac Pro really went under, the Genius folks at the Apple Store said that it was probably a failed graphics card. They replaced it under Apple Care. They also thought there might be a problem with the logic board, but the graphics card seemed to resolve all problems at that time. Since then, I've had miscellaneous issues including the one mentioned on this thread. I always worry wondering if somehow the graphics card has a flaw. I just ordered 2Gb of new RAM for delivery tomorrow, but maybe I should buy a total of 4Gb and remove and replace the existing RAM. I'm lost on this. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Where do I find the Apple Hardware tester? I've used it in the past and thought it was in Utilities on the system installation disk, but I don't find it there.

Update: I found the Hardware Test. Two quick tests revealed no problem. I know that the extended testing for several passes is better, but no time today for that.

The squirrely behavior seems to be limited to Excel. I reinstalled MS Office a couple of weeks ago. No time to do that today.

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/25/09 12:25 AM.

Mac Pro dual Quad-Core Intel Xeons Early 2008; 16GB RAM; MacOS X 10.11.6, iOS 9.3.5
alternaut #4344 09/26/09 12:38 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for reminding me that "When all else fails, follow the directions." Yesterday was a clash between workload and trouble with Excel. I apologize for letting all my anxieties hang out and for asking for help with things that are in the directions. It was a bad day. Today is much different. I received my extra 2 Gb of RAM from OWC and installed it. Since the installation, I've not had any trouble at all with Excel, but I'll have to have a few days' work to decide that all problems are solved. For now, it looks good. Again, sorry for projecting a bad day onto the forum. I'll try not to do that again. grin

JoBoy #4345 09/26/09 12:47 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I hate to bring brand X into the discussion, but there is a brief article there that describes the exact behavior I was experiencing with Excel. The article blames it on an alleged bug in Snow Leopard that occurs when an application is being used while Rosetta is installed. It would also explain why I was having the problem regardless of whether the file was large or small. I don't know if memory size has anything to do with it, but I have yet to have my first problem since installing the extra 2Gb of RAM. What do you forum regulars think about this?

See: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10361888-263.html?tag=mncol;txt

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/26/09 01:16 AM.

Crashes of PPC programs on Intel machines
#4351 09/26/09 02:54 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

I'm starting this new thread because my other one on this subject now occupies two pages and may be skipped for being too long. This information is worth seeing if you're having the problem. I've been struggling with Excel 2004 crashing while running on 10.6.0 and 10.6.1. The other thread (When is an Excel file getting too big?) chronicles the discussion.

Tonight, I went to Apple.com > Support > Discussions > Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard > Using Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard Topic : Excel 2004 continually crashes OS 10.6.

I scrolled down to the end of page 1 of the 3 page thread to messages left by David Hoerl. He says that several PPC programs are having the trouble, not just Excel 2004. He offers a diagnosis and repeats a message he received from Apple. In essence, it is that this is a known issue and they’re working on it.

For reasons he explains, he has concluded that it is related to Carbon and not Rosetta. I had left a message on my other thread about a blurb on CNet that connected it to Rosetta. At least I now know enough about it to stop trying to fix it and endure until Apple provides a solution. If it becomes unbearable, I can possibly solve it by upgrading to MS Office/Mac 2008.

On a happier note, I installed an extra 2Gb RAM today (bringing the total RAM to 4Gb) and haven't had a crash since then. I have no idea whether that is coincidence or a solution.

Edited by JoBoy (09/25/09 09:56 PM CST)

Last edited by dianne; 09/26/09 07:47 PM. Reason: created hyperlink to Apple Discussions' topic to provide full attribution.

Re: Crashes of PPC programs on Intel machines
JoBoy #4359 09/26/09 08:04 AM

I've seen and experienced only PPT 2004 crash, not Excel. Actually, it did not even launch the first time. The remedy is to reinstall Office (sometimes twice). Then it works. It would be great if Apple would be able to remedy that for good.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
2.8 GHz Xeon Mac Pro 2010, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, LAN
joemikeb #4364 09/26/09 09:46 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
All of my RAM has been purchased from Other World Computing (OWC). They sell the same DIMMs Apple uses at a small fraction of what Apple charges.

How do you determine that?

The PPC DIMMs I've purchased from Crucial have had OEM stickers on them (Samsung, once, but that was returned...packaging, rather than performance, problems), but the DIMMs I purchased for my MacBook have Crucial stickers.

I somehow think that Apple does not use OEM any more, but I've no idea what they use in its stead.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
macnerd10 #4372 09/26/09 02:46 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Did you remedy it by re-installing Office 2004 or 2008? I see your signature shows 2008. I did reinstall Office 2004 once without results. Maybe I should try again?

JoBoy #4381 09/26/09 07:37 PM

My home machine has 2008 (no problems so far with SL), but two at work (one wifey's) have 2004. A reinstall should work fine but you need to remove bits and pieces, not just the 2004 MS Office folder. You need to remove the prefs and the Microsoft folder in the user folder>library>preferences. I would leave the identity folder so that your Entourage prefs would be preserved.
Since I am also not happy with the outcome (had to reinstall twice), I am looking at a bargain deal for Office 2008. The best deal for Special media edition (it has Exchange support) is on Amazon marketplace - under $100.

Alex
3.1 GHz 13" MacBook Pro 2015, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.11.2, Office 2011, TimeWarner Cable
macnerd10 #4387 09/26/09 10:53 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the hints. When reinstalling 2004 from the original DVD, do I have to subsequently install all updates to each app or can I just install the most current one? A Mac "combo" update reinstalls every update that went before it for that version. Does MIcrosoft also do that?

JoBoy #4388 09/26/09 11:14 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Dianne:

How did you create that hyperlink? I would have done that if I had known how. Also, how can I send a message to an individual on the forum without having to do this public announcement in hopes that the person will see it? (Obviously, I'm doing just that in this message smirk ) I've looked around the forum, but I didn't see anything on either subject.

JoBoy #4390 09/26/09 11:51 PM

Microsoft usually does not do that. You will have to install all consecutive updates. Chances are that Microsoft Autoupdate app will guide you through the process. Please do not open Office apps before you install everything. The latest version is 11.5.5.
P.S. DK is correct.

Last edited by macnerd10; 09/27/09 02:40 AM.

Alex
macnerd10 #4391 09/27/09 12:09 AM

Actually, it looks like you can jump in with the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.0 Update; unlike the updates immediately before and after it, 11.5.0 makes no mention of any previous updates being required.

Actually, it looks like you can jump in with the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.5.5 Update itself; no previous update requirements listed there, either (compare for instance 11.5.4).

Last edited by dkmarsh; 09/27/09 12:16 AM. Reason: added italicized text

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #4392 09/27/09 12:52 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Right! I just used Microsoft AutoUpdate to find the Office 2004 update. It produced 11.5.5. The lead page for this update said, "This update includes all of the improvements that were released in all previous Office 2004 updates." Then it listed them. I thought that was a pretty good assurance that I could install 11.5.5 and forget about the rest. Thanks to you and MacNerd10 for getting me this far. Hopefully, it will do some good.

JoBoy #4393 09/27/09 01:06 AM

JoBoy,
Quote:
How did you create that hyperlink?
I used the information found in FAQ –> What UBBCode can I use in my posts? –> Links.

On first reading, I had difficulty in figuring out the information, so if the
bracket
url=address
bracket
title
bracket
/url
bracket
is not clear, let us know.
Quote:
Also, how can I send a message to an individual on the forum without having to do this public announcement in hopes that the person will see it?
It is best if all troubleshooting questions and messages are posted in a public thread so that current and future readers and those using the Search function will have access to all information related to a topic. The primary purpose of FineTunedMac is to serve as a research library documenting a series of troubleshooting questions and replies.

A member can contact another member by clicking on his/her name in the left column, selecting View Profile, and seeing if s/he has entered an email address.
Quote:
I'm starting this new thread because my other one on this subject now occupies two pages and may be skipped for being too long.
The number of pages spanned by a topic will vary from member to member based on a person's individual settings entered in My Stuff –> Edit Preferences –>
   • Total topics to show per page: (default is 25) . . . mine is 90
        and
   • Total posts to show on one page when viewing a post in flat mode: (default is 25) . . . mine is 90.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #4396 09/27/09 03:54 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for a treasure of information. My only defense to the hyperlink question is that there is no way I would know that a hyperlink was associated with that FAQ Title. Sorry that my knowledge is spotty. It's deep in some areas and non-existent in others. Thanks again. I really appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

JoBoy #4403 09/27/09 12:15 PM

JoBoy,

I am glad to help.

As "Crashes of PPC programs on Intel machines" continues the troubleshooting process begun in "When is an Excel file getting too big?," I have merged the two threads to keep all information in one location.

Back up everything you can't afford to lose: documents, mail, movies, music, photos, and other data and settings.
dianne #4459 09/29/09 02:04 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

FINALLLY! Resolution of the WindowServer crashing problem while using Excel 2004 and lessons learned along the way:

I owe this forum community a huge thank you for your various suggestions that led to a resolution of my problems discussed at length in this thread. I'm declaring at least a temporary victory based upon two days of blissful computing without even a hiccup from my previously troubled Mac Pro. Although I do not understand the why, the following are what I finally did to overcome the problem:

1. Add 2Gb more RAM (new total 4Gb). Price $72 plus shipping from OWC.
2. Use both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior 4.2 by booting from their original installation disks instead of using the applications installed on my hard drives.
3. Reinstall MSOffice 2004 from original installation disks and then update Office before opening any Office applications. Update from Office Update 11.5.5. I finally realized that Microsoft has a practice of issuing a few updates that do not include all previous updates and then, periodically, issuing an update that has them all. 11.5.5 has them all. This is a tremendous time saver over installing a large number of updates one at a time in the proper order.

Along the way, I encountered two issues that need mentioning here. First, I experienced an Apple Error number 1407 that prevents deletion of some files. The cure is to run Disk Utility from the Snow Leopard installation disk and use both Repair Disk Permissions and Repair Disk. The error goes away. Second, messages popped up in both Disk Utility and DiskWarrior 4.2 that read as follows:

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Warning: SUID file"System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/DesktopServicesPriv.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Locum" has been modified and will not be repaired.

A little research revealed that these two messages should be disregarded. They give a frightening impression of imminent danger. If they really are harmless, I hope Apple fixes the bug asap.

Again, thanks for all the input. This is a great place to troubleshoot. Sorry I got so desperate late last week and started venting frustration and anxiety. It was a very unfortunate confluence of computer trouble and very important work deadlines that were negatively affected by my troubled Mac Pro.

JoBoy #4461 09/29/09 04:19 AM

Great! Enjoy the new cat!

Alex
JoBoy #4473 09/29/09 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JoBoy
A little research revealed that these two messages should be disregarded. They give a frightening impression of imminent danger. If they really are harmless, I hope Apple fixes the bug asap.

Admittedly those "warnings", they are not "errors", give uninformed users pause, but if years of history is any guide, if and when Apple "fixes" those "bugs" they will simply be replaced by different "warnings" in the next update. My guess is the only long term "fix" will be a switch in Disk Utility to set the level of error reporting with the default being to report only uncorrected errors and not warnings or information messages.

By-the-way, you are correct about running Disk Repair from the install disc, or from another boot volume, but permission repair should be run from the normal boot drive, not from the install disc.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #4475 09/29/09 01:52 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

By-the-way, you are correct about running Disk Repair from the install disc, or from another boot volume, but permission repair should be run from the normal boot drive, not from the install disc.

Why is that? I vaguely remember hearing it before. Also, should you be booted from the disk where permissions are being repaired if it happens to be a clone of the main drive?

Last edited by JoBoy; 09/29/09 02:23 PM. Reason: Added "Also" question

artie505 #4482 09/29/09 04:04 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for checking Crucial for me. I clicked your link and read their stuff. It was impressive. The scale tipper for me was that I have had prior, very good experience with OWC and decided to stick with them for that reason. Brand loyalty is why companies use brands to get and retain customers. I don't know whether it's a personal strength or weakness for people to pay attention to brands. I appreciate your interest in this troubleshoot. It looks like I'm finally in the clear and that more RAM played a major, if not the major part. It's a mystery to me why it did. I watched Activity Monitor carefully and there was always a very large percentage of Free RAM available when I only had 2Gb RAM, but I can't deny the great results that began the moment the extra 2Gb RAM was added.

JoBoy #4491 09/29/09 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: JoBoy
Why is that? I vaguely remember hearing it before. Also, should you be booted from the disk where permissions are being repaired if it happens to be a clone of the main drive?

Rather than my going into a long discussion on the subject I'm going to send you to the horse's mouth. Take a look at this Apple Knowledge Base article. In particular the last paragraph which is titled Should I start up from a Mac OS X install disc to repair disk permissions?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #4513 09/30/09 01:06 AM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Take a look at this Apple Knowledge Base article. In particular the last paragraph which is titled Should I start up from a Mac OS X install disc to repair disk permissions?

That article was spot on! By running repair permissions from Snow Leopard startup disk (10.6.0), I lost any permissions updates that might have been contained in 10.6.1. I have since run repair permissions from a Disk Utility app that is from 10.6.1 to cure the potential problem. Again, thanks a lot!

JoBoy #4770 10/07/09 02:29 PM
JoBoy Offline OP
OP Offline

Here's an update on the Snow Leopard crashes while using Excel 2004. I continued to follow the suggestions in this forum and things went well for a few days. Then, I started getting frequent crashes while working with relatively small files as well as the large ones.

At that point, I purchased MS Office 2008 Business Edition from Amazon. I got that edition to obtain the access to Exchange that I need for email to the home office. Since installing Office 2008 two days ago, I have had no crashes at all. If I do have them, I'll report them here, but consider no news to be good news. Again, thanks for all the help on this struggle. It appears that I finally have my "fine tuned Mac" back after a couple of months of exhausting hassle. By upgrading my RAM to 4Gb and purchasing Office 2008, I seem to have eliminated my sources of trouble. Otherwise, Snow Leopard has been a real delight. I love its speed. Things just seem to work. I think Apple accomplished its goals of a slimmer, quicker, less problematic OS X. Except for the defective graphics card that Apple replaced, my problems were inadvertently self inflicted by not enough RAM and an old application. smile

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard