FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
icloud password: Have to change all the time
#43756 02/26/17 03:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I cannot get onto icloud.com, so I changed password, and I still can't get on!

This is side issue to the fact Apple forces me to change that password more than all others sites I have put together. What is up with icloud and password does not work so much?? thanks.

Re: icloud password: Have to change all the time
kevs #43757 02/26/17 05:10 PM

I probably shouldn't admit this as good security practices would insist on changing passwords at least twice a year, but since the introduction of .Mac and well before the App Store I have changed my password exactly one time and I initiated that because my old password was so blatantly insecure. However, as happens with any site, there are occasions when Apple's password server(s) is down, usually for a few minutes at best, and no one's password is recognized. Trying again in a few minutes corrects that problem and I recall one time when it took a few hours to get the server back up.

My biggest password problem is accidentally hitting the caps lock key instead of the shift key.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43759 02/26/17 11:57 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, you are lucky. Tech support today, said this is an issue at Apple.

I hear you about capss lock. In face with my Macbook air, if I'm on location, I often have to walk it into the shade to see if cap lock is on.

kevs #43760 02/27/17 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I hear you about capss lock. In face with my Macbook air, if I'm on location, I often have to walk it into the shade to see if cap lock is on.

I wish I had a light on my iPad Pro Keyboard to indicate it was on even if I had to walk into the shade to see it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43761 02/27/17 12:30 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Apple forgot to put the little green light in that??

Which admittedly, even if it's there is very weak. Should be very large RED cirle.

joemikeb #43762 02/27/17 12:51 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

I wish I had a light on my iPad Pro Keyboard to indicate it was on even if I had to walk into the shade to see it.

Why not just type one character and see what appears on your screen? Wouldn't that be much easier than the alternatives?

I never notice that the light on my keyboard is lit until I look at it after typing CAPS that should have been caps.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43764 02/27/17 02:01 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, what if I have my screenlock on? It comes up and ask for password, and you don't see upper/ lowercase anything.

kevs #43768 02/27/17 02:39 AM

Did I trip up on my lack of familiarity with iOS once again?

Hmmm... If you lock your screen with the caps lock on, how do you turn it off without unlocking it, which you can't do because you can't enter your password correctly?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43769 02/27/17 02:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Artie, that is not what I meant. On laptop, I do security and privacy, require a password after 1 sec sleep. Then I go to internet cafe, open laptop and it ask for the computer password, and I don't see a way to show that password, just dots.

So if cap lock is on and you cannot see its on you are screwed, unless someone knows more on this...

kevs #43773 02/27/17 09:19 AM

Artie, that is not what I meant. On laptop, I do security and privacy, require a password after 1 sec sleep. Then I go to internet cafe, open laptop and it ask for the computer password, and I don't see a way to show that password, just dots.

So if cap lock is on and you cannot see its on you are screwed, unless someone knows more on this...

I guess I'm missing something here.

Is it that your laptop keyboard doesn't have a "caps lock on" indicator light...that it has one, but you can't see it...something else?

Anyhow, if your password fails, why don't you just assume it's a caps lock issue and proceed from there?

artie505 #43778 02/27/17 04:36 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes macbook air has caps lock. But as Joes points out, tiny tiny barely visible green dot.

Well you have cool idea of just typing in one letter, and I'm saying that if you lock it, it forces the full, long, complicated password before you realize the caps lock was on.

joemikeb #43779 02/27/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Slightly off topic, but try the mini-application CapSee. It flashes a graphic on the screen each time the Caps Lock key is pressed (on or off). With osMac 10.11 and higher I have noticed a slight delay in the screen graphic, but it does show up.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #43780 02/27/17 04:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, thanks, what does this mean?

"I have noticed a slight delay in the screen graphic,"

kevs #43782 02/27/17 05:06 PM

Yes macbook air has caps lock. But as Joes points out, tiny tiny barely visible green dot.

Well you have cool idea of just typing in one letter, and I'm saying that if you lock it, it forces the full, long, complicated password before you realize the caps lock was on.

Got it, kevs; I wasn't thinking in terms of a long complicated password, because it's overkill in my world other than with financial institutions.

Ira's app sounds like a neat idea, and to answer your question to him, he means that the app doesn't work immediately in macOS 10.11 & 10.12, rather there's a delay between your hitting caps lock and its advising you that you hit it.

artie505 #43786 02/27/17 05:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tried capsee, does not work, just generic white symbol. I would need something that say CAPS ON or CAPS ARE OFF

kevs #43788 02/27/17 06:06 PM

I just tried CAPSEE as well.

Very limited usefulness. When the CAPS key is pressed, an "arrow up" symbol flashes to show that the caps button is engaged. When you press to release the caps button, the SAME "arrow up" symbol flashes.

For all intents and purposes, this app lets you know that the caps key has been pressed, but not whether it is ON or OFF. Only when you type can you see if you are in uppercase or lowercase mode.

Would it not make more sense to have the arrow point "downward" when the CAPS key is disengaged?

kevs #43792 02/27/17 09:36 PM

I went through MacUpdate and found
  1. CAPS Warn for Mac
  2. Capster for Mac
  3. Capsy for Mac
Check 'em out.

artie505 #43794 02/28/17 12:47 AM

On the App Store

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43798 02/28/17 02:44 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Got Capsy, works good.

kevs #43801 02/28/17 04:56 PM

Ira, thanks, what does this mean?

"I have noticed a slight delay in the screen graphic,"

It means that when you push the Caps Lock key on the keyboard, the screen graphic that indicates the key was pushed does not appear instantly; there is a brief delay, during which time you may have started to type. The delay may vary with the user or not be there at all for you.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
kevs #43802 02/28/17 04:58 PM

Tried capsee, does not work, just generic white symbol. I would need something that say CAPS ON or CAPS ARE OFF

It does work, it just doesn't work the way YOU would like it to.

It is designed to show the arrow-shift icon, representative of having the Caps Lock key on (or off). True, the icon does not linger on the screen, but if you are looking at the screen (not uncommon if you are typing) you will see it.

It seems you would prefer a permanent symbol or text to indicate on or off. That is not this application. Then again, this one is free.

On a Mac since 1984.
MG2009 #43803 02/28/17 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
I just tried CAPSEE as well.

Very limited usefulness. When the CAPS key is pressed, an "arrow up" symbol flashes to show that the caps button is engaged. When you press to release the caps button, the SAME "arrow up" symbol flashes.
…
Would it not make more sense to have the arrow point "downward" when the CAPS key is disengaged?

Now we know that the app is also vision checker smirk : the two arrows that flash are actually different. One is grey, the other is white.

I agree that up/down or the originals with text "On" or "Off" would be more helpful, but this developer did it their own way.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #43805 02/28/17 06:07 PM

RE: " . . . but this developer did it their own way."

-----------------------------------------------

Fair enough . . . except that the grey/white colour contrast is far too subtle - especially if one has any vision issues. Flipping the arrow upside down for OFF would make more sense. I am not a developer of apps, but it would seem to me that this would not be terribly difficult to do with the software. smirk

Fortunately, as others have posted in this thread, there are other (better?) app options available.

MG2009 #43811 03/01/17 01:21 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ira, yes Capsy was only $1, and put a colored symbol in menu, so all end well!

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard