Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Iphone innacurate about storage.
#43678 02/19/17 03:22 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I have an iphone 6 12gb storage 10.2.1

It says I have used 8gb, when in fact only about 2-3 is used.

I showed this to people in apple store, verizon store, and then sen. supervisor on phone with Apple Care. They all say they have no idea / no clue whatsoever, why this glitch is there and the only thing I can do is erase everything and then clone back.

So I've waited 6 months to see if an IOS upgrade might solve this and it has not.

Anything short of a tedious clean install can solve this? Thanks.

Re: Iphone innacurate about storage.
kevs #43680 02/19/17 07:19 AM

Check out iPhone out of disk space, kevs.

No real answers, but many insights.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43684 02/19/17 05:46 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, Oh Joes advice, itunes, I don't see a "summary" or settings in itunes. I see just click on voice memos, video etc and even then does not show sizes.

Also, in app list iphone shows apps deleted apps, like Vimeo and Flickr are still in list. Any way to get them out of my iphone list? Clutter.

I do see 'other doc' in the manage storage list is 4.7GB, but that does not count on iphone correct, as it's in the cloud.

Oh, I see now Ira says ios is 4GB thanks. crazy

Does anyone know how clear Firefox cache? I did clear Safari cache, but how do you "see" what safari cache is at?

Also what what space does ios take?

Last edited by kevs; 02/19/17 05:49 PM.
kevs #43685 02/20/17 01:19 AM

Just a thought….but maybe these should be posed in the first thread….to keep everything to gether, ah, together.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
kevs #43688 02/20/17 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
I do see 'other doc' in the manage storage list is 4.7GB, but that does not count on iphone correct, as it's in the cloud.

Could you be a bit more specific about where you are seeing this? In iOS 10.3 Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage > Manage Storage every app is shown along with the amount of storage used by that app on the device. Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > iCloud > Manage Storage shows what is stored on the iCloud in general terms like Photos, Backups by device, Documents & Data, and Mail for your iCloud Drive. Tunes are not shown because they are stored in iTunes and do not count against your iCloud Disk storage.

Also, in app list iphone shows apps deleted apps, like Vimeo and Flickr are still in list. Any way to get them out of my iphone list? Clutter.

I have no idea what app list you are referring to. If you mean apps listed in the App Store AFIK once you have purchased/installed an app the App Store will remember the purchase so you can change your mind and re-install without having to pay for it again. If you mean the various lists of apps in Settings, properly deleted apps should no longer appear in any of those lists.

Does anyone know how clear Firefox cache? I did clear Safari cache, but how do you "see" what safari cache is at?

Because iOS apps are sandboxed cache files etc. are stored as part of the app itself and unless the app developers provide for clearing the caches in Settings the only way to clear the cache files is to delete and reinstall the app. Of course that means you lose more than just the cache files.

Images in Photos are unique in that even if you delete an image, if you have iCloud photo storage enabled, deleted images will remain on the iCloud Drive for as long as three or four weeks before they are actually erased and until that time they occupy storage space on your iCloud Drive and can be recovered from the trash.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43690 02/20/17 08:16 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes Joe, those apps were deleted and still show in settings.

Ok so Firefox them, unlike Safari, may not have a place to delete cache?

kevs #43691 02/20/17 10:14 PM

Okay, try this. It works in iOS 10.3.4 beta 2 and I don't have an earlier version to verify that it works there. Go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage > Manage Storage and find one of the supposedly deleted apps. Touch the right arrow ( > ) at the right end of the app name then touch Delete App.

Quote:
Ok so Firefox them, unlike Safari, may not have a place to delete cache?

That is what it sounds like to me. All well behaved iOS apps lodge that type of thing in Settings and Apple carefully weeds out apps that are not well behaved. But I don't have Firefox on any of my iOS devices so I cannot verify that.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43692 02/20/17 10:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, don't see them there: Flickr, Vimeo.

Also cluttering up are things I've never use and don't want:

Game Center
Tv Provider

TV provider, what is that?

If it means something, those all are above the first thick light grey line in the long list

kevs #43696 02/21/17 06:45 PM

Also cluttering up are things I've never use and don't want:

Game Center
Tv Provider

TV provider, what is that?

I was referring to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Storage where you find individual apps you have installed, how much local storage they consume, and where they can be deleted.

You are looking in a different section of Settings. You are in the section of Settings where you control specific settings within individual apps and in this case settings for functionalities provided by Apple that are used in multiple Apple and third party apps, specifically, Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Vimeo, and TV Provider. These are not apps they are accounts or linkages provided by iOS to commonly used social media. These linkages may then be used by apps. This is similar to the Internet Account settings in MacOS System Preferences. The amount of storage occupied by these accounts is probably measured in Bytes not KiloBytes or MegaBytes and are inconsequential.

As to what those accounts are:
  • Game Center is Apple's attempt to create a gaming social network.
  • Twitter is president Trump's favorite means of communication with the world
  • Facebook "helps you connect and share with people in your life"
  • Flickr "helps you store search and share our photos online"
  • Vimeo "helps you store, search, and share your videos online"
  • TV Provider "Provides access to TV shows and movies in apps that are supported as part of your TV subscription"
Those definitions, with. the exception of Game Center and Twitter can be found by touching the function in Settings. Having never used Game Center, Flickr, Vimeo, or TV Provider I cannot comment on their use.

Although you consider their presence in Settings to be clutter there is no way to get rid of them other than inducing Apple to drop them from iOS which is highly unlikely or switching to an Android phone.

Admittedly settings and storage management in iOS seems a bit baroque at first, given the screen size of the iPhone, even the iPhone Plus, and the security and functional constraints imposed by Apple, it really isn't that bad. It just takes some getting used to, particularly coming for the viewpoint of a long time Mac user. In fact this thread has forced me to become much more familiar with the organizational structure of Settings and clarified some things for me. If Apple continues to bring iOS, MacOS, TVOS, and WatchOS into ever closer alignment, I will not be surprised if Settings eventually replaces System Preferences in MacOS.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43699 02/21/17 09:34 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, but icloud storage, which I pay $1 month, 50GB, is not same as storage for iphone itself correct? That's why I have not been considering what is on icloud storage, just phone storage...

Flickr Vimeo are forced on the list? Seems odd, not owned by apple.

kevs #43700 02/22/17 12:34 AM

You are correct that the iCloud storage is not the same as the iPhone storage itself, but the iPhone can and does utilize the iCloud storage. Many apps utilize iCloud storage for their data as a means of sharing the data with MacOS and other iOS devices as well as reducing storage usage on the iOS device.

One more time look in Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage and note this is further broken down into
  • Storage — which is the actual physical SSD on your iPhone
  • iCloud — which shows how iCloud disk space is allocated to individual Apps on your iPhone and iPhone Backups.
The Settings section where you are finding the various network services has nothing to do with storage on your iPhone or iCloud. Like the app listings you find in that section they are configuration settings either for individual apps or for iOS provided services.

Flickr and Vimeo along with Twitter, Facebook, and TV Provider are most assuredly not owned by Apple. Neither are Microsoft Exchange, Google, LinkedIn, Yahoo, or AOL but because so many Apple users also subscribe to these network services Apple provides a convenient single point account data access point for them in both iOS and MacOS. It is a convenience for Apple users and for app developers who might want to link to the various network services.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43706 02/22/17 03:47 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, I did download apps for Vimeo and Flickr, then deleted, but they remain in that list. TV thing never even heard of and I dont see a TV app anywhere!

kevs #43709 02/22/17 04:17 PM

Once again there are provisions in iOS and MacOS for storing the logon information (userID and password) for
  • Flickr
  • Vimeo
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • TV Provider
  • Microsoft Exchange
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • Yahoo
  • AOL
  • and lest we forget it Apple (although that is captured in a different place in settings it still works the same way)
Providing the account information in iOS or MacOS does not provide the means of accessing those accounts. Access requires an app or apps for each and those may be standard Apple apps or third party apps. Those apps are dependent on the userid and password for each of those various accounts but are independent of the data itself.

Account data may be used by multiple apps and an app may use the data from multiple accounts. For example on my system the Google account data is used by Mail, Airmail, Google Maps, and Google Earth. The twitter account data is used by Twitter and TwitterBot. By the same token Mail and Airmail use the Apple, Google, and "other" account data. I would be really mad if deleting one of those apps also deleted the account information because it would disable all the other apps that use it and vice-versa.

As to TV Provider, that is the satellite or cable company that you use and each of them have their own app. For example to utilize the DirecTV account you would have to download the DirecTV, DirecTV NOW, or one of the other 18 DirecTV apps, but you would setup the account data for all 20 of those in Settings > TV Provider > DirecTV.

Once again there are only two ways of getting rid of your "clutter"...
  • Convince Apple to remove it from iOS (which is highly unlikely) or
  • Switch to a cell phone that does not use iOS for example and Android phone, but you will likely have clutter there it will just be different clutter.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43718 02/22/17 08:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Joe, thanks for the clarity again.

I'll stay with Apple and survive this!

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard