FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Standing or Sitting?
#43630 02/09/17 02:39 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

With all the reports about the serious health risks related to too much sitting, some people are changing the type of sitting (large spheres, rather than chairs) while some are using computer desks that allow them to stand while computing.

I'm thinking about getting a device that would allow standing while working. It'd be good to know if anyone in our group has done so, what kind they chose (dedicated unit, device that sits on existing table, et cetera), and what their experiences have been.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Standing or Sitting?
ryck #43631 02/09/17 04:13 PM

In an attempt to alleviate a back problem I once tried standing in front of my deuced Mac(hina) while it rested on an existing "pedestal", and leaning into it exacerbated my problem; with everything positioned precisely correctly, though, it might have worked...or the figuring it all out stage might have incapacitated me first. tongue

Standing in one position for long periods of time has got its own issues (ask a bartender), and were I to consider sitting to be a serious issue I'd opt for a "take a break" app and get the added benefit of walking around a bit during my break.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #43632 02/09/17 05:40 PM

I have been using the VariDesk standing desk. It sits on top of your existing desk/table and can be adjusted to variable heights, even back down so you can sit. It is very sturdy and reasonably priced.

While it is obviously an individual preference, I feel more comfortable and relaxed standing and recommend this product.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
ryck #43634 02/09/17 11:05 PM

I have a desk I bought several years ago when I was having serious carpal tunnel syndrome issues. It was chosen with the advice of an ergonomic consultant working for my employer at the time (Texas Instruments). I leaned the three greatest irritants leading to carpal tunnel for computer users are…
  1. The constant forward tilt of the head to look down at the computer screen
  2. Stretching the shoulder and arm to reach the mouse
  3. incorrect hand wrist positioning due to using desks with tops that are too low.

The desk I found is curved so every thing is equi-distance from the user. The entire desk cranks up or down to just about any height you want from a low sitting position to a standing height for a user two meters tall. Finally the front and back halves of the desk are separately adjustable from the back so you can have both the monitor and keyboard at the correct height. I cannot find any listing for my desk today, but this site has several built along the same lines. Mine cost $1,500 nearly twenty years ago so the prices on that page shouldn't surprise me, but they do.

While I cannot direct you to a reasonably priced version of my desk I would encourage you to look for the same salient features of a curved front, separately adjustable heights for the keyboard and monitor, and enough surface to hold working materials at alt least keyboard height. There is a guide to fitting an ergonomically correct computer desk here.

One last thought. Over the years, I have used my desk at both standing and sitting heights. I found standing works very well when my workflow has me up and moving around from place to place in the room. In that scenario I think you will find you want a first class standing pad, or will be footsore at the end of a long day. If you aren't moving around a lot the sitting height will probably be preferable, but you should also be prepared to invest in an ergonomically correct chair. (A really good one can easily run $1K.) My personal choice of chair is a Herman Miller Mirra 2 or Aeron.

I know I have expensive tastes, but then I was in a LOT of pain from carpal tunnel so I look at it as an investment in my future life and health.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #43635 02/09/17 11:06 PM

Interesting commentary from NPR in March 2016, on this subject...

Standing Desk

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
ryck #43671 02/18/17 09:31 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank-you artie, Ira, joemike and pbGuy for some excellent guidance, not only with the technical aspects but also interesting points of view on the basic issue.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Sonoma 14.4.1
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard