for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Disk Utility hates NTFS?
#43615 02/07/17 03:16 AM
OP Offline

I have corrupted my Windows 10 Pro installation 2 times with Disk Utility. It should not modify the partition, which I intend because macOS hates NTFS. I explicitly avoid touching it. But Disk Utility really seems to want to obliterate it. Doing any changes to the partition table ruins the install. Is there a way to fix this???

Last edited by LoganDark; 02/07/17 03:16 AM.
Re: Disk Utility hates NTFS?
LoganDark #43616 02/07/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: LoganDark
Doing any changes to the partition table ruins the install.
MacOS and Disk Utility do not "hate" NTFS but do not support it because of licensing issues with Microsoft who owns the NTFS copyright. Whether your partitions are Mac OS Extended, APFS, MSDOS, or NTFS, the first rule is to have good backups before attempting any change to the partition table as the risk of damage or loss of data is significant. The best suggestions I can offer are...
  1. Pick a partition scheme and don't change it or do anything with the partition table after that.
  2. Put your NTFS volume on a differnt, unpartitioned drive
  3. Keep good backups and/or clones of every partition if you are going to be changing the partition scheme.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Re: Disk Utility hates NTFS?
LoganDark #43620 02/08/17 02:53 AM

I'm assuming you're using GUID partitioning and an NTFS partition for Boot Camp. If that's not the case, this may not apply.

The Windows 10 installer makes changes to the GUID partition map. It installs a "protective MBR," a dummy MBR partition table intended to prevent old Microsoft disk utility programs that do not understand GUID from "seeing" the disk as unformatted and wiping it.

The changes that it makes to the GUID partition map are not part of the GUID spec, so Disk Utility does not recognize them. If you try to use Disk Utility to change the Windows partition after Windows 10 has modified it, Windows 10 will not be able to boot any more.

Last edited by tacit; 02/08/17 02:54 AM.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  joemikeb, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard