FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
Virtual1 #43552 01/31/17 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Fortunately, that position was stripped of much of its power when the Justice Department was created. Prior to that there was no doubt that the AG's first order of business was law, and second was assisting the administration. But now, not so much. Just another presidential yes-man.
Note too that Lord Voldemort has been playing musical chairs with the National Security Council and has removed the Chairman of the Joint Chief's of Staff and the National Intelligence Director from regular attendance in favor of an alt-right political strategist and only after that move reluctantly agreed to allow the CIA director to sit in. God forbid that anyone who will be persecuting a war or has an overview of both international and national security issues should be involved in the decision making process.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #43599 02/04/17 03:23 AM

And now we have expert opinions that Trump is indeed a nut case.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43611 02/04/17 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck

…and more and more mental health experts are adding the adjective dangerous as in "dangerous nutcase".

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43612 02/04/17 02:38 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
…and more and more mental health experts are adding the adjective dangerous as in "dangerous nutcase".

Indeed. While the article confirms what many of us have thought for a very long time, it also makes me worry about upcoming actions as Trump continues trying to bully those who stand up to him. He's been pushy with China, Mexico, Australia and Iran, who have all diplomatically said he can "take a hike". So far, he's just reacted with words but the concern is "What's next?".

I think about the Scottish farmers who Trump tried to bully off their land. When they gave him the finger, he first responded, like the little boy he is, with his petulent name-calling "You're pigs and your homes are disgusting" but he didn't stop there. He then built a huge berm to block their view of the sea.

Now he's Commander-In-Chief of the most powerful nation in the world and the man who has his ear, Steve Bannon, is, according to The Guardian, the most dangerous man in America.

Worrisome. Very, very worrisome.

Last edited by ryck; 02/04/17 06:09 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #43618 02/07/17 11:52 PM

More on the Punch & Judy show — at least his inanity is costing him big time, both in credibility and in $$$. Maybe by the time his tenure in office ends he'll wind up in penury. Wouldn't that be ironic (and fitting)?!

President Trump’s Real Fear: The Courts

grelber #43623 02/08/17 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
More on the Punch & Judy show — at least his inanity is costing him big time, both in credibility and in $$$. Maybe by the time his tenure in office ends he'll wind up in penury. Wouldn't that be ironic (and fitting)?!

True to the pattern of despots around the world and his own business practices, Lord Voldemort is highly unlikely to permit himself, his family, his business interests, or his close supporters to suffer any losses as long as he is president. If nothing else more lucrative presents itself Voldemort will simply write an executive order requiring U. S. taxpayers to make up any losses, absolve all of his interests from repaying any debts, and/or direct government purchasing to companies they control regardless of the cost. In the event of any successful prosecution against his interests, in either the courts or congress, he will simply pardon the offender.

He Who Must Not Be Named has already questioned the right of any judge to question much less overturn any of his executive orders, threatened to ruin the political career of a State Representative who sponsored a bill he opposes, urged his most extreme followers to take out opponents. Lord Voldemort is clearly following in the footsteps of such notable leaders as Saddam Hussein, Ayatolla Ali Khamenei, Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong-un, Idi Amin, and Hugo Chavez; not to mention Adolph Hitler, Benito Mussilini, and Joseph Stalin.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43626 02/08/17 09:47 PM

True to the pattern of despots around the world and his own business practices, Lord Voldemort is highly unlikely to permit himself, his family, his business interests, or his close supporters to suffer any losses as long as he is president.

Or, as Tom Engelhardt of The Nation wrote, "From health care and tax policy to environmental protections, this will undoubtedly be a government of the looters, by the looters, and for the looters, and a Congress of the same."

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #43628 02/09/17 07:35 AM

The word is out: The executive order relating to the travel ban lacks "intellectual rigor".
Now there's a surprise — NOT. It's just another indication that Trump is as dumb as a stump. In fact, given his erratic performance so far, that expression may come to be rephrased as "dumb as a Trump".

grelber #43629 02/09/17 11:29 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I'm reminded of a quip by the late William F. Buckley. Although I disagreed (nay, despised) his opinions in general, I like this put-down: "I won't insult your intelligence by suggesting that you actually believe what you just said."

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #43633 02/09/17 10:59 PM

The word is out: The executive order relating to the travel ban lacks "intellectual rigor".

And now the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has voted unanimously (3 to 0) against Trump's ban. However, Trump has an ace to play: He's going to hold his breath and stamp his tiny feet until he gets his way.

Chuckles aside, it's good to see that the checks and balances are working, and that the complete repudiation should show the President that he is not above the law.

Last edited by ryck; 02/09/17 11:01 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43638 02/10/17 01:49 PM

Chuckles aside, it's good to see that the checks and balances are working, and that the complete repudiation should show the President that he is not above the law.

Now all he needs to do is scream "I am not a crook!" and the circle will be complete...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #43642 02/10/17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Now all he needs to do is scream "I am not a crook!" and the circle will be complete...

Or, "I am not an unrepentant liar!"

In all of this Trump remains intractable and has decided to remain in court, which will take months….while he claims the issue is urgent and that terrorists pouring into the country is imminent. The right answer would, of course, be to repeal what he has done and get a new, proper document prepared and vetted.

Although that may be the logical choice, and best for the country, there's not much chance it will happen as it requires one event: Trump would have to admit he was wrong.

Not much chance of that happening….so, clearly, Trump believes the country's security is less important than his ego.

Last edited by ryck; 02/10/17 03:34 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43644 02/10/17 06:01 PM

... clearly, Trump believes the country's security is less important than his ego.

I thought that such an assessment was clear in my earlier comment:
The man is a putz in the harshest sense of the word.

Perhaps I was hasty. I should have used the more pejorative shmuck* which entails an even stronger implication of 'contemptible'.

* I prefer this transcription of the Yiddish (following Leo Rosten) in order that it not be confused with German Schmuck (as it was in one funny scene in the 1961 comedy One, Two, Three, which totally escaped comprehension and therefore humor by German moviegoers, given that all movies back then were dubbed into German — even The Longest Day [1962] which was 'tri-lingual' in the original).

grelber #43645 02/11/17 08:32 AM

How much longer before the internment camps are set up?

Sorry. I was misinformed. There is already a far-reaching and ever-expanding system of internment camps called detention centers. See Immigration Detainees : Immigration detainment practices and statistics

grelber #43657 02/15/17 09:21 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

How long till impeachment? Veteran US reporter Dan Rather raises Watergate spectre It won't happen until at least 2018, when (hopefully) the Democrats rout the Republicans in the general election. Of course, Pence is not my first choice to succeed Trump! shocked

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #43662 02/16/17 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
How long till impeachment?

Whenever it happens, there will be support from life-long Republicans like this Ohioan who writes eloquently about getting on with it.

Last edited by ryck; 02/16/17 12:40 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #43663 02/16/17 12:46 AM

How long till impeachment? Veteran US reporter Dan Rather raises Watergate spectre It won't happen until at least 2018, when (hopefully) the Democrats rout the Republicans in the general election. Of course, Pence is not my first choice to succeed Trump! shocked

Tom Friedman has said that if Trump is not impeached by the end of 2016 2017 it will be the end of the Republic. That is republic not republican.

Last edited by joemikeb; 02/16/17 02:54 PM. Reason: date correction

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43664 02/16/17 07:36 AM

Tom Friedman has said that if Trump is not impeached by the end of 2016 it will be the end of the Republic. That is republic not republican.

Where's Friedman getting the time machine? (And don't say from Apple.) smirk

grelber #43665 02/16/17 02:53 PM

Hey I have been working on my taxes all day and of course all the dates are 2016.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43673 02/18/17 01:13 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

grelber #43686 02/20/17 12:26 PM

Fake news, alternative facts, dishonest media, ... ad nauseam ...

It's been said before about Trump and needs to be said again, just as Abba Eban originally opined about Joseph Goebbels:
"Every time he opens his mouth, he subtracts from the sum of human knowledge."

And here's a verbal visual, drawn from Katherine Anne Porter's Pale Horse, Pale Rider (1939):
"The stranger [Trump] swung into his saddle beside her [Lady Liberty], leaned far towards her and regarded her without meaning, the blank still stare of mindless malice that makes no threats and can bide its time."

grelber #43687 02/20/17 04:30 PM

"Every time he opens his mouth, he subtracts from the sum of human knowledge."

At his recent Florida rally, talking about terrorism, unrepentant liar Trump referred to an event in Sweden that never happened. It caused the Swedish Foreign Minister to wonder what Trump has been smoking.

Last edited by ryck; 02/20/17 04:31 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43689 02/20/17 06:33 PM

At his recent Florida rally, talking about terrorism, unrepentant liar Trump referred to an event in Sweden that never happened. It caused the Swedish Foreign Minister to wonder what Trump has been smoking.

Here's a thought —
One could append to all such observations relating to fake vs real reality the same thing that doofus appends to most of his tweets: Sad.

grelber #43723 02/23/17 12:23 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

We need to take a break from the angst produced by politics. This is temporary, of course, but I, at least, need it.

Both Trump supporters and critics will laugh at this one.

The American Medical Association has weighed in on Trump's health care package:
The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve.
Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted.

Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!"
The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it.

Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.
The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter."

The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea.

Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn't have the heart to say no.
In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the #$!& in Washington.

Last edited by jchuzi; 02/23/17 12:27 AM.

Jon

jchuzi #43726 02/23/17 08:54 AM

We need to take a break from the angst produced by politics.

Mayhap, but be that as it may, today's (and past days') headlines indicate that Trump's latterday pogroms are just beginning. If he were literate, he might well have taken his game plan from Mein Kampf.

The equivalent of the Night of the Long Knives (cf 1934) is underway; can his version of Kristallnacht (cf 1938) be far behind?

The news media, (im)migrants and the LGBT community are already on the chopping block. Who and what is next? Purging of academics at all levels seems likely (especially given the new Secretary of Education).

And the "killing fields" may take on new meaning as asylum seekers flee north across the Canadian border.

Those who ignore history are doomed to relive it.

Page 32 of 40 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard