Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Rogue Cookie
artie505 #42958 11/30/16 06:34 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
I've been running Cookie for years....

Ya, it was your mention of Cookie in another thread that got me to have a look.

Originally Posted By: ryck
Then you’re asked if you’d like Cookie to clear the browser cache, in order to remove EverCookies.

....although I think I remember that, I can't find it now; where did you see it?

My bad...I should have said in a review which is found here. found here. I'll correct the posting.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42959 11/30/16 06:43 PM

Thanks, ryck.

Yours is the only EverCookie issue I've ever run across, and I'm anxious to see how you make out.

Good luck (for both of us)! smile

Edit: Hmmm... Either that or I visited one of those websites and Cookie did its job as promised...sorry...can't say for sure.

Last edited by artie505; 11/30/16 06:52 PM. Reason: More

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43067 12/07/16 08:45 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Yours is the only EverCookie issue I've ever run across, and I'm anxious to see how you make out.

After a week I can report that the software works great. I'm glad I bought it, as it saves me the trouble of going in and manually removing Cookies. Also, none of the persistent cookies have returned. I'll now get the software working in my wife's account too.

Last edited by ryck; 12/07/16 08:45 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43068 12/07/16 10:18 AM

After a week I can report that the software works great.

That's been my experience (*), but I'm going to hold my breath for a while on the EverCookie issue, because your past experience seems to suggest that more than a week needs to pass before you can consider them gone. But I've got my fingers crossed!

(*) At some point your liable to discover that cookies that Cookie says no longer exist still appear in your Safari pref pane (although they disappear when you quit Safari). I've discussed the issue with Russell, Cookie's developer, and the nature of cookies being what it is, kind of inscrutable, we've never quite figured out what's going on, but in Cookie's favor, I can tell you that on more than one occasion I've had shopping trips interrupted by my shopping cart's having disappeared mid-trip because a cookie that still appeared in my pref pane had presumably been deleted by Cookie via its timer.

Make what you will of it, but with that positive evidence and none to the contrary, I'm satisfied that Cookie is doing its job...but, all the same, still curious about the anomaly.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #43069 12/07/16 10:42 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

At some point you're liable to discover that cookies that Cookie says no longer exist still appear in your Safari pref pane (although they disappear when you quit Safari). I've discussed the issue with Russell, Cookie's developer, and the nature of cookies being what it is, kind of inscrutable, we've never quite figured out what's going on….

I wonder if they're the cookies described as "the persistent cookies that have been designed to automatically respawn themselves from various secret caches". That is, are they able to stow away in some caches other than the browser cache?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43070 12/07/16 11:07 AM

At some point you're liable to discover that cookies that Cookie says no longer exist still appear in your Safari pref pane (although they disappear when you quit Safari). I've discussed the issue with Russell, Cookie's developer, and the nature of cookies being what it is, kind of inscrutable, we've never quite figured out what's going on….

I wonder if they're the cookies described as "the persistent cookies that have been designed to automatically respawn themselves from various secret caches". That is, are they able to stow away in some caches other than the browser cache?

I don't think they're persistent cookies, because the only concrete indication of their nature I've ever gotten is from my disappearing shopping carts, i.e. they don't re-appear unexpectedly.

I think the persistent cookies are something different, i.e. your Trump cookies, and you're going to have to tell us if Cookie actually deals with them, because you seem to be the only poster who's got them.

artie505 #43122 12/12/16 12:05 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

At some point you're liable to discover that cookies that Cookie says no longer exist still appear in your Safari pref pane (although they disappear when you quit Safari).

I think the persistent cookies are something different, i.e. your Trump cookies, and you're going to have to tell us if Cookie actually deals with them, because you seem to be the only poster who's got them.

After a week where I've checked the Cookie window (as in Cookie software) both at the start of using Safari and at the conclusion of a session (before Cookie has a chance to clear things out) and I have yet to see any of the persistent cookies.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43124 12/12/16 12:33 AM

After a week where I've checked the Cookie window (as in Cookie software) both at the start of using Safari and at the conclusion of a session (before Cookie has a chance to clear things out) and I have yet to see any of the persistent cookies.

That sounds promising...if not better.

Have you also looked in your Safari pref pane to see what's in there?

artie505 #43132 12/12/16 09:28 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Have you also looked in your Safari pref pane to see what's in there?

Yup….nada on any occasion.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43133 12/12/16 09:42 AM

Sounds like a thumbs-up for Russell. smile

ryck #43244 12/20/16 12:01 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I can update this observation. ProSoft Engineering has inserted a cookie a couple of times without my going to their site - and it wasn't a plain-Jane cookie, it was a tracking cookie.

Last edited by ryck; 12/20/16 12:11 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43245 12/20/16 02:43 PM

Hmmm... frown

Maybe ask Russell about it? He's both responsive and helpful.

ryck #43285 12/31/16 04:22 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I can update this observation. ProSoft Engineering has inserted a cookie a couple of times without my going to their site - and it wasn't a plain-Jane cookie, it was a tracking cookie.

And, I can update the update. I've taken advantage of the Cookie Window, which allows real-time observation of cookies being installed and whether they are tracking cookies. The Prosoft Engineering cookie, which continues to pop up periodically, does not require Safari to be open. The Prosoft cookie will appear as soon as the computer is booted.

Now, that's persistent!

Maybe ask Russell about it? He's both responsive and helpful.

I haven't contacted the publisher yet.

Last edited by ryck; 12/31/16 04:25 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43286 12/31/16 05:47 AM

I'm not running any Prosoft apps, so I can't experiment, but I'll hazard a guess that those cookies are placed when your app(s) check for updates, similarly to the way some of my Safari extensions place cookies when I do no more than open my Safari > Extensions pref pane.

Assuming that it's enabled, try disabling Prosoft auto-update-check and see what happens.

artie505 #43287 12/31/16 11:19 AM

FWIW, I have Drive Genius installed with it's preferences to automatically check for updates, yet I do not have any Prosoft cookies.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #43288 12/31/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
FWIW, I have Drive Genius installed with it's preferences to automatically check for updates, yet I do not have any Prosoft cookies.

Well, that leaves me out of ideas. confused

ryck's cookies are coming from somewhere, and your experience seems to eliminate all the obvious (to me, anyhow) sources.

jchuzi #43289 12/31/16 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
I too have Drive Genius installed and I had (note the past tense) a Prosoft cookie.
The Prosoft cookie on my system was a plain-jane cookie and NOT a tracking cookie — at least according to Cookie Stumbler (the paid subscription app, not the free Safari extension).

I deleted the Prosoft cookie then opened Drive Genius (which like Jon's is set to check for updates on launching), forced a check for updates, and browsed the Prosoft Engineering web site (although I did not fill in any forms or enter any data), checking for the cookie after each activity and the Prosoft cookie did not reappear. I have no idea when, or how the cookie was inserted, but I am comfortable that it was NOT a tracking cookie and I was unsuccessful in getting it inserted either through visiting the Prosoft Engineering website or running Prosoft Engineering applications.

Ryck, I wonder if your persistent Prosoft cookie is actually from Prosoft Engineering or perhaps it is a malware cookie masquerading as a Prosoft cookie?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43290 12/31/16 09:17 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Ryck, I wonder if your persistent Prosoft cookie is actually from Prosoft Engineering or perhaps it is a malware cookie masquerading as a Prosoft cookie?

Interesting thought. The next time it appears I'll try to get a bit of detail.

Last edited by ryck; 12/31/16 09:18 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43291 01/01/17 05:55 AM

As an experiment, I visited Prosoft/Drive Genius to see what cookies would be bestowed upon me, with these results.

The top screenshot shows the 7 cookies that Prosoft placed, and the bottom one shows the 3 that reappeared 1 minute after the 7 were deleted and every minute thereafter when they were deleted (by my Cookie 1 minute timer).

I've now deleted all of my Prosoft cookies and set Cookie to preserve any that miraculously reappear.

artie505 #43292 01/01/17 02:15 PM

As an experiment, I visited Prosoft/Drive Genius to see what cookies would be bestowed upon me, with these results.

The top screenshot shows the 7 cookies that Prosoft placed, and the bottom one shows the 3 that reappeared 1 minute after the 7 were deleted and every minute thereafter when they were deleted (by my Cookie 1 minute timer)
Obviously there has to be some reason for our differing results. confused

On the premise that the cookie might have been blocked just double-checked to see what I might be running that might have made the difference. I am running Safari extensions Adguard and 1Blocker, using DNSCrypt, and have additional blocks set on OpenDNS. When I get time this afternoon, I will try disabling each of those to see if it makes a difference.

Are you using Safari? I forgot to check which of the four browsers I have installed had the Prosoft cookie. Cookie Stumbler checks all of them and I only loo0ed at the consolidated listing and not the individual browsers.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43293 01/01/17 06:06 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Interesting thought. The next time it appears I'll try to get a bit of detail.

The cookie appeared this morning, as soon as the computer booted, and this is how "Cookie" described it:

Name: _cfluid
Path: /
Secure: NO
Expires: 2018-01-01 10:44 AM
Contents: dc5e44f10004d0ce4ca0d567c48cc19a11483296293
Browser: Safari

Notes:

• Cookie said there was 1 tracking cookie. It uses red type to indicated a tracking cookie.
• The information _cfluid is the only underlying information in red.
• The expiry date is exactly one year from the time I first booted this morning (10:44 AM)

My results seem to be consistent with the first result in artie's first screenshot.

Last edited by ryck; 01/01/17 06:07 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #43296 01/02/17 08:54 AM

Are you using Safari?

The results I reported were returned by Safari.

ryck #43297 01/02/17 10:32 AM

My results seem to be consistent with the first result in artie's first screenshot.

With the exception that your cookie was _cfluid while mine was (and still is when I return to the website) _cfduid

Do you get the same cookie if you click on the Prosoft link I posted?

Edit: And is there a rule that dictates that your cookie must be similar to mine?

Last edited by artie505; 01/02/17 10:52 AM.

artie505 #43299 01/02/17 02:38 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Do you get the same cookie if you click on the Prosoft link I posted?

Yes…very similar. The cfluid and cfduid difference was there, along with different Expiry dates, et cetera, but otherwise it's the same cookie.

Interestingly, I used Safari Preferences to delete the Prosoft cookie (while at FineTunedMac, not at the ProSoft site) and it just popped in another Prosoft cookie. This one was shorter than the previous cookie (only the website entries) but it could not be removed using Safari preferences. I tried three times.

The shorter cookie was only eradicated with a Quit of Safari, and "Cookie" took it out.

Last edited by ryck; 01/02/17 02:47 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43303 01/02/17 03:52 PM

This one...could not be removed using Safari preferences. I tried three times.

The shorter cookie was only eradicated with a Quit of Safari, and "Cookie" took it out.

When you tried to delete it via Safari prefs was the item with which you were left identified as "Cookie" or "Local Storage" (as has been my experience on numerous occasions)?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard