for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
grelber #43460 01/24/17 07:54 AM

Moving right along and setting the record straight ...

White House Pushes ‘Alternative Facts.’ Here Are the Real Ones.

tacit #43461 01/24/17 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
National Day of Patriotic Devotion ... Nothing Orwellian about that!

Or North Korean sounding.

grelber #43469 01/24/17 02:03 PM

And now you can get your own The Little Golden Book of Alternate Facts.

tacit #43476 01/24/17 04:24 PM

Yikes. Nothing Orwellian about that!

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command"—George Orwell, 1984

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #43477 01/24/17 06:16 PM

And now for something totally different... In a great example of the ’If you can’t beat ‘m, join ‘m’ approach, Dutch satirical TV show host Arjen Lubach presented a seriously funny take on ‘alternative realpolitik/diplomacy’: The Netherlands welcomes Trump in his own words. Wait for the end of Lubach’s intro in Dutch at about 0:15. Even if you’ve already seen it, I think it’s worth watching again.
Believe me, it’s terrific! grin

alternaut moderator
Ira L #43488 01/25/17 08:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command"—George Orwell, 1984

The true, honest, cross my heart and spit in a circle, correct story of what happened at Donald Trump’s inauguration.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Ira L #43489 01/26/17 08:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Nothing Orwellian about that!

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command"
— George Orwell, 1984

Well, ah swan ... Just heard on PRI [Public Radio International, out of Boston] that 1984 hits No. 1 on Amazon after Kellyanne Conway's 'alternative facts' comment.

grelber #43490 01/26/17 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
[quote=Ira L]Well, ah swan ... Just heard on PRI [Public Radio International, out of Boston] that 1984 hits No. 1 on Amazon after Kellyanne Conway's 'alternative facts' comment.

Yep it had "rocketed" to #6 or so during 2016 as Trump for President became a serious possibility. Then after the election, boom, #1. Not surprised. 23 years late, but here we are.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #43491 01/26/17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
23 years late, but here we are.

Oops, slip of the finger, I'm guessing, but that should read: 33 years late, ....

Virtual1 #43492 01/26/17 04:58 PM

...but here we are.

Here we are indeed, with the latest absurdity being President Trump calling for an investigation into "massive voter fraud" in the absence of any real evidence.

Apparently Trump's evidence is a story (from a person not eligible to vote), given to a friend of a friend in Trump's circle, who then passed it to him. That is, the President of the United States is acting on a third or fourth hand rumour, already very questionable.

Last edited by ryck; 01/26/17 05:02 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #43496 01/26/17 11:07 PM

….but here we are.

Yup….with yet another absurdity from the man-boy President Trump - a suggestion that the U.S. might slap a 20% tariff on goods flowing from Mexico to the U.S. Since that bit of Trump unwisdom came out, the Republicans have been trying to walk it back.

I guess someone reminded them that the Mexicans could reciprocate with a tariff on the $267 billion in goods that flow from the U.S. into Mexico.....trade that supports more than a million American jobs.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43498 01/27/17 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Here we are indeed, with the latest absurdity being President Trump calling for an investigation into "massive voter fraud" in the absence of any real evidence.

Oops…maybe there is some evidence.

To support his outrageous claims, President Trump presented a number of ways that people voted illegally. One was by being registered to vote in two states. It turns out that Trump is right - some people are registered to vote in two states. Among those are people in Trump's camp.

Last edited by ryck; 01/27/17 01:41 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #43503 01/27/17 08:34 AM

No typical "honeymoon" for Señor Hitler's regime. Just check out The New York Times on virtually every topic on virtually every front, locally, nationally and internationally.
Slap! Slap! Slap! Slap! Slap! tongue

Even his bevy of elected members of Congress are now having to distance themselves from his inane proclamations. He's like a petulant 5-year-old on the playground.

ryck #43506 01/27/17 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
….but here we are.

Yup….with yet another absurdity from the man-boy President Trump - a suggestion that the U.S. might slap a 20% tariff on goods flowing from Mexico to the U.S. Since that bit of Trump unwisdom came out, the Republicans have been trying to walk it back.

I guess someone reminded them that the Mexicans could reciprocate with a tariff on the $267 billion in goods that flow from the U.S. into Mexico.....trade that supports more than a million American jobs.

Also considering the amount of money mailed back to families in mexico from the illegals, Enrique would have to be completely out of his gourd to support a wall, let alone fund one. I'm amazed at how well he seems to be maintaining his composure, instead of just cracking up and rolling on the ground laughing at Trump's "demands".

I wonder if the reality has started to sink in on Trump yet, that he's not president of Mexico too.

Also love how the reps are now scrambling to try to figure out how to pay for this wall, now that Cpt Obvious has arrived to point out that no, Mexico isn't willing to pay for it. Since raising taxes or other methods of actually collecting money for things isn't in their playbook, I suppose they're looking for any as-yet-unraided cookie jars to raid, or jack up our national debt some more.

Lastly, on the book's DoubleSpeak, how are "we're going to force businesses like Ford to move back into the US" and "we're going to raise money by imposing a huge tariff on goods from across the border" mesh? You can either get them making cars on US soil again OR tariff them when they roll across the border, not both? Sounds like some "1+1=3" to me.

grelber #43511 01/27/17 08:20 PM

I just recapped the protest marches in Washington — the smaller one on Inauguration Day and the massive one the following day. The positive resistance and the sheer oneness (much more than just unity) of purpose was palpable. It all brought tears of joy, not to mention a semblance of hope for the next 1454 days.

Not to be too crass, but no matter the coverage I saw could I discern a single port-a-potty, much less the thousands which would be necessary for such gatherings, especially given the potentially 'fickle' bladders which women seem to be heir to. Were they hidden behind trees or in alleys? Or were the women expected to hold it until they got back to the buses?
Inquiring minds want to know the logistics.
Anybody got a clue?

grelber #43516 01/28/17 08:51 AM

And here we go ...

Trump Bars All Refugees, and Citizens From 7 Muslim Nations

Note that in 'Announcing his “extreme vetting” plan, the president invoked the specter of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Most of the 19 hijackers on the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pa., were from Saudi Arabia. The rest were from the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Lebanon. None of those countries are on Mr. Trump’s visa ban list.'

grelber #43517 01/28/17 11:25 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Let's see how far this goes. Trump’s Immigration Ban Is Illegal

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #43521 01/28/17 06:47 PM

It may be illegal, but for now it is the law of the land, and effectively, the world as well. It turns out that the entry ban completely shuts out everyone except diplomats from the affected countries, not only valid visa holders but also up to 500,000 Green Card holders. This is because airlines flying to the US no longer accept these travelers. This policy won’t change unless and until the US explicitly states Green Card holders are exempt, but rumor* has it that a DHS spokesperson stated that Green Card holders were not exempt from the decree. Really?

*) “It will bar green card holders,” Gillian Christensen, acting spokeswoman for the department, reportedly said in an email.

Last edited by alternaut; 01/28/17 08:29 PM. Reason: Added detail

alternaut moderator
alternaut #43522 01/28/17 09:15 PM

Google and other high tech companies who tend to have lots of green card employees ordered them to get back to the states by any means and as quickly as possible. Trump may be successful in driving high tech companies out of this country thereby eliminating millions of very high paying jobs from our economy.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43523 01/28/17 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
*) “It will bar green card holders,” Gillian Christensen, acting spokeswoman for the department, reportedly said in an email.

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Trump may be successful in driving high tech companies out of this country thereby eliminating millions of very high paying jobs from our economy.

It seems to me the crux of the problem is that you have a President who doesn't know how to think things through. He makes rash (and wrong) decisions, then sends his surrogates out to convince the populace that he isn't a nut case.

Example 1: The ban on refugees. Currently it takes up to 24 months for a refugee to go through the American vetting process and, for Syrians, it's even longer.

Missing thinking: Does anyone in their right mind actually think a terrorist is going to wait for two years or more in a refugee camp on the chance that he might get picked to enter the U.S.? Hardly.

Example 2: Trump threw out the idea that he could put a 20% tariff on Mexican goods entering the U.S. as one way to get payment for his wall.

Missing thinking: Even disregarding the benefits to the U.S. of its trade with Mexico, did anyone stop to think that it's the American consumer who'd end up paying for the tariff?

Example 3: Trump has said that he could make a deal on America's debt and get America's creditors to accept a lower rate of repayment, such as 85 cents for every dollar.

However, according to CNN Money, the top creditor is U.S. citizens and American entities, such as state and local governments, pension funds, mutual funds, and the Federal Reserve. Together they own the vast majority of the debt (65.7%).

Missing thinking: Has anyone wondered if the American citizen would want to take a major hit on their pension payments and IRA savings, or have increased taxes, et cetera?

And that, folks, is what happens when a seven-year-old is President.

Last edited by ryck; 01/28/17 10:45 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #43525 01/29/17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Note that in 'Announcing his “extreme vetting” plan, the president invoked the specter of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Most of the 19 hijackers on the planes that crashed into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a field in Shanksville, Pa., were from Saudi Arabia. The rest were from the United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Lebanon. None of those countries are on Mr. Trump’s visa ban list.'

Ah, but they are on President Trump's business partner list. Conflict of interest charge anyone?

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #43531 01/30/17 03:05 PM

According to this Cato Institute study the odds of being murdered by a foreign born refugee is 1 in 3.64 billion and for illegal immigrants that climbs to 1 in 10.9 billion. While lord Voldemort (a.k.a. President Trump) is building walls to protect us from these vanishingly small threats, he disassembles all efforts to combat the high risk threats of air pollution and climate change.

In the meantime, in the heart of Red State Texas, over 100 volunteer lawyers have set up a makeshift office that is staffed 24x7 to help arriving immigrants and refugees at DFW Airport. The mayor of Dallas went to the airport very publicly demanded the TSA release those being held at the airport to prevent their entry into the U.S. The TSA caved and let them in.

Voldemort promised change and he is getting it. More and more in the form of resistance and outright refusal to obey his dictates. Some Republican representatives are quietly expressing concern they may lose their house majority in two years.

BREAKING NEWS: The arch conservative Koch Brothers have come out in opposition to Voldemort's immigration and refugee ban.

STARBUCKS CEO Message To Employees

Last edited by joemikeb; 01/30/17 04:06 PM. Reason: Add Addenum

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #43535 01/30/17 05:45 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
joemikeb #43536 01/30/17 05:48 PM

The impression is becoming ever stronger that Señor Hitler aka Lord Voldemort aka 45 has a "death wish", that he is going to crash and burn by virtue of his thorough-going ineptitude which riddles his being like mold in blue cheese (but decidedly without the latter's redeeming gastronomic virtues).
One can only hope that his demise qua relevance on the American and international scenes happens sooner rather than later, especially given recent events.
The man is a putz in the harshest sense of the word.

jchuzi #43546 01/31/17 12:53 PM

Trump fires attorney general for questioning legality of immigration executive order

WOW

Anyone care to guess when's the last time we saw that sort of thing happen?

it recalled the so-called Saturday Night Massacre in 1973, when President Richard M. Nixon fired his attorney general and deputy attorney general for refusing to dismiss the special prosecutor in the Watergate case.

Yates wrote; "At present I am not convinced that the defense of the executive order is consistent with these responsibilities nor am I convinced that the executive order is lawful."

Read up more on the position at Wikipedia

Clearly this is trending news. I typed "trump fires " and google suggested Attorney General rather than one of his many show firings...

Now... Clearly this is an *appointed* post, and she's from the previous administration, and this is a cabinet position. The cabinet exists to "advise the president", and we know know Trump loves taking advice, so there's no question he's going to do a clean sweep. But most cabinet positions are replaced (or resign), it's unusual for a president to kick someone out before getting a replacement confirmed. I'm pretty sure this was done entirely to deal with the bad PR of your Attorney General questioning the legality of your orders.

And to no one's surprise, just like Nixon, the AG that was put in charge immediately followed the president's orders. Technically correct, but quite a horrible chain of events from a moral perspective. Fortunately, that position was stripped of much of its power when the Justice Department was created. Prior to that there was no doubt that the AG's first order of business was law, and second was assisting the administration. But now, not so much. Just another presidential yes-man.

Page 31 of 40 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard