FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
grelber #42753 11/14/16 07:05 AM

2016 Election Thank You Notes

An appreciation — maybe even an "Amen" — by Ethan Coen.

ryck #42770 11/17/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Trump just learned that ignoring advice, and being divisive, works. I figure that'll continue to be his M.O..

Although it appears that the Senate may have something to say about that.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42773 11/17/16 05:13 PM

If he thinks he's got a rubber-stamp Congress, he may be sorely mistaken.

It won't take many recalcitrant, unhappy Republicans siding with the Democrats to derail anything he can't do arbitrarily.

His failure or success with Congress will reflect on whether it is still the United States of America or has become the Cojoined States of America.

Last edited by artie505; 11/17/16 05:45 PM. Reason: More

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #42774 11/17/16 06:26 PM

Trump just learned that ignoring advice, and being divisive, works. I figure that'll continue to be his M.O..

Although it appears that the Senate may have something to say about that.[/url]

Oh, I think the senators can completely relate to how "being divisive" works, they've been on the sending end of that game a lot with Obama in the last few years. Payback's a [REDACTED]

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
jchuzi #42782 11/18/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
If Trump is impeached...

If a recent event is any indication, that may not be far-fetched.

When Bill Clinton talked with Attorney General Lynch on her plane, Trump was irate and raved that they must have talked about something that would be a conflict, given the meeting lasted 30 minutes.

Donald Trump just held a 90 minute meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister and the President-elect had his daughter Ivanka attend the meeting. This morning the Trump surrogates are claiming there was no conflict….after all, it was only a 90 minute meeting.

Hmmm. If I understand their logic, it's not possible to have a 30 minute meeting without discussing matters that may be a conflict, but one can talk with a head of state for 90 minutes without doing so.

Following the Clinton-Lynch airplane meeting, Trump told conservative radio talk show host Mike Gallagher: "It was really a sneak, You see a thing like this and, even in terms of judgment, how bad of judgment is it for him or for her to do this? Who would do this?"

Apparently President-elect Donald Trump would do that.

Last edited by ryck; 11/18/16 04:18 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42783 11/18/16 04:38 PM

<SNIP>…
Hmmm. If I understand their logic, it's not possible to have a 30 minute meeting without discussing matters that may be a conflict, but one can talk with a head of state for 90 minutes without doing so.

Following the Clinton-Lynch airplane meeting, Trump told conservative radio talk show host Mike Gallagher: "It was really a sneak, You see a thing like this and, even in terms of judgment, how bad of judgment is it for him or for her to do this? Who would do this?"
Many, many years ago, when I was a college undergraduate my Psychology professor had a term for Trumps assertions — PROJECTION .

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #42784 11/18/16 04:50 PM

I wonder if he's looking for a corporate sponsor for the reality show that his Presidency looks like it's going to be?

I think "The National Enquirer White House", and take it from there, would be a great idea!

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42785 11/18/16 05:09 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Here's another great idea: Pledge to register as a Muslim if Trump creates a registry. I have already signed up and so has my wife. When Denmark was occupied by the Nazis, they issued a decree that all Jews had to wear a yellow Star of David. The king of Denmark declared that all Danes were created equal and he prominently wore one of those stars. Other Danes followed suit, making it much more difficult for the Nazis to persecute Danish Jews.

This is the same principle.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #42788 11/18/16 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wonder if he's looking for a corporate sponsor for the reality show that his Presidency looks like it's going to be?

I think "The National Enquirer White House", and take it from there, would be a great idea!

Yes, and apparently conflicts, such as we see already happening in the transition, are required for a successful reality show.

Could "The Real Housewives of Congress" be a possibility?

Last edited by ryck; 11/18/16 06:44 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #42789 11/18/16 06:42 PM

Here's another great idea: Pledge to register as a Muslim if Trump creates a registry. I have already signed up and so has my wife.

That is a great idea. Good for you and your wife….well done.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42790 11/18/16 06:51 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #42791 11/18/16 07:44 PM

Moving right along ...

Given Trump's (and probably all the Trumps') apparent tastes in interior decorating, I suspect that the White House is likely to be turned into something resembling Cà d'Zan (John Ringling's winter home in Sarasota, FL) — hmm, I wonder what his plans for the Roma are — vs a slightly less ostentatious version of Hearst Castle (San Simeon, CA).

And Trump's ending ain't gonna be no Rosebud.

grelber #42792 11/18/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
...I suspect that the White House is likely to be turned into something resembling Cà d'Zan (John Ringling's winter home in Sarasota, FL) — hmm, I wonder what his plans for the Roma are — vs a slightly less ostentatious version of Hearst Castle (San Simeon, CA).

And entirely with Trump branded fixtures, accessories, etc, to boot!

Edit: None of which will be made in the US of A. frown

Last edited by artie505; 11/18/16 08:57 PM.

jchuzi #42793 11/18/16 10:26 PM

Here's another great idea: Pledge to register as a Muslim if Trump creates a registry. I have already signed up and so has my wife. When Denmark was occupied by the Nazis, they issued a decree that all Jews had to wear a yellow Star of David. The king of Denmark declared that all Danes were created equal and he prominently wore one of those stars. Other Danes followed suit, making it much more difficult for the Nazis to persecute Danish Jews.

This is the same principle.

Many mainline Christian ministers and lay people are pledging to do the same.

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #42797 11/19/16 04:07 PM

By the way, I read that Trump is scheduled to take the stand in the Trump U. trial a few days after Thanksgiving.

News reports today say Trump has settled for a $25 million payment. Given the mid-range student loss is estimated at $20,000 and there were 6,000 students, he pockets something in the neighbourhood of $95 million.

It would appear that, even as the President-elect, Trump still gets to stiff the little guy.

Last edited by ryck; 11/19/16 04:11 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42799 11/19/16 04:18 PM

By the way, I read that Trump is scheduled to take the stand in the Trump U. trial a few days after Thanksgiving.

News reports today say Trump has settled for a $25 million payment. Given the mid-range student loss is estimated at $20,000 and there were 6,000 students, he pockets something in the neighbourhood of $95 million.

It would appear that, even as the President-elect, Trump still gets to stiff the little guy.

Knock off the attorneys' share and costs, and the losers get next to no satisfaction.

I hope that, at the least, the media make plenty of noise about the settlement.

Edit: I wonder how the Judge felt about losing the opportunity to try the case?

Last edited by artie505; 11/19/16 04:44 PM.

artie505 #42800 11/19/16 05:00 PM

Trump is going to need a lot more money to defend his choices for positions in the administration including himself and his family against a flood of conflict of interest lawsuits from the general public, various state and major city attorneys general, and potentially even the Senate.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42801 11/19/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Trump is going to need a lot more money to defend his choices for positions in the administration including himself and his family against a flood of conflict of interest lawsuits from the general public, various state and major city attorneys general, and potentially even the Senate.

Not to mention however many thugs whose actions at his rallies he's defending.

He's not going to have much time to be President.

artie505 #42802 11/19/16 05:09 PM

Apparently he only plans to spend a few hours a week being president anyway. He has indicated that at least for the time being he will be spending most of his time in his residence at Trump Tower in New York.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #42803 11/19/16 05:12 PM

Donald Trump just held a 90 minute meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister and the President-elect had his daughter Ivanka attend the meeting.

Considering the Japanese aesthetic, I'll guess that the P.M. was pretty seriously offended by Trump's having brought his kid along with him to a meeting of what was supposed to have been equals (if I may use the term loosely on the one hand).

(I wonder if she tried to sell him a bracelet for his wife?)

joemikeb #42804 11/19/16 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Apparently he only plans to spend a few hours a week being president anyway. He has indicated that at least for the time being he will be spending most of his time in his residence at Trump Tower in New York.

...in close proximity to all the facilities the President needs to support him in times of crisis.

On the other hand, though, I'll be happy to see Trump Tower, rather than the Freedom Tower, be NYC's prime terrorist target.

Edit: I wonder how much the Presidential security will inconvenience the building's residents and their guests? I suspect that they'll be pretty unhappy campers.

Last edited by artie505; 11/20/16 12:25 AM.

ryck #42815 11/21/16 12:14 AM

Donald Trump just held a 90 minute meeting with the Japanese Prime Minister and the President-elect had his daughter Ivanka attend the meeting. This morning the Trump surrogates are claiming there was no conflict….after all, it was only a 90 minute meeting.

And that ain't all.

Incredibly, Donald Trump claims that he doesn't know whether his children running his business would or wouldn't be a blind trust. He said: "Is it? I don't know."

Meanwhile he carries on as if the concept of conflict is a myth. He met with three Indian businessmen to discuss expansion of his business interests in India.

And, about 100 foreign diplomats were packed into a ballroom at the new Trump International Hotel in D.C. recently to drink Trump-brand champagne and hear a sales pitch for the new hotel.

Trump people have been all over the media denying that the President-elect's actions are the same as the "Pay to Play" accusation he constantly hurled at Hillary Clinton during the election campaign. However, one panelist had a much better term.

He referred to Trump's actions as "Pimping the Presidency".

In a recent interview Malcolm Gladwell was asked to make a prediction on the upcoming Trump presidency, and he predicted: "He'll be in jail within a year." Malcolm might be right.

Last edited by ryck; 11/21/16 12:19 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42817 11/21/16 01:22 AM

I've read both that the President is and is not required to put his assets into a blind trust, but I haven't found anything that sounded authoritative; can anybody cite a reliable source?

artie505 #42820 11/21/16 11:38 AM

According to Forbes , a President is not obliged to place assets into blind trust.

So, it'll be interesting to see how things unfold. According to the Washington Post:

"Ethics officials urged Trump during his campaign to pledge he would sell his businesses or cede them to an independent authority. Many modern presidents — including Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton and both Bushes — went beyond what was required and placed their assets in “blind trusts,” run by third-party managers who keep complete control.

But Trump has refused to make such a pledge, saying only that he would give companies to his children and executives to run. Attorneys said that would put little distance between a President Trump and the businesses he spent a lifetime grooming and profiting from.

"Now we are faced with the possibility that a son or daughter of the president will turn up in Moscow or Uzbekistan or somewhere else negotiating a deal on a new property that will bear the name of the president, and the full knowledge that the president really is an owner of the company," Trevor Potter, a former Federal Election Commission chairman and general counsel for George H.W. Bush and Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), said in September. "That presents problems of a dimension we have never seen before. "

Last edited by ryck; 11/21/16 11:38 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42823 11/21/16 02:37 PM

Trump has indicated he will be spending most of his time in New York and plans to visit the White House only on occasion. Maybe he could convert the White House into a luxury B&B for overseas business associates? He could change the name to "Trump House" and let the fools who pay taxes eat the cost of its upkeep and security.

— Albert Einstein
Page 27 of 40 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard