Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40
Our next president?!!
#37331 11/21/15 12:15 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Trump wants database to track Muslims in US; Carson compares Syrian refugees to rabid dogs If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada. So far, the Canadians may have problems, but they seem to have a handle on sanity.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: Our next president?!!
jchuzi #37332 11/21/15 01:10 AM

Don't slow down as you approach the border or I might leave footprints on your back. shocked

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #37365 11/22/15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada.

Well, the one thing you can say about the Republicans so far is that they're certainly much more entertaining….sometimes generating a laugh, sometimes a gasp. And, periodically I even have to check the calendar to see what year is it.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #37366 11/22/15 04:33 PM

Quote:
And, periodically I even have to check the calendar to see what year is it.

A major political party disintegrating into factions one of which celebrates its own ignorance? Racist violence and anti-immigrant xenophobia running amok? Should be obvious that it's 1856.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
jchuzi #37370 11/22/15 06:05 PM

If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada. So far, the Canadians may have problems, but they seem to have a handle on sanity.

If you can wangle a way to 'prove' you qualify as a Syrian refugee, you could move to the front of the line. Otherwise it'll take you months if not years to negotiate the byzantine immigration route (almost as convoluted and costly as the American one).

grelber #37372 11/22/15 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
If you can wangle a way to 'prove' you qualify as a Syrian refugee, you could move to the front of the line. Otherwise it'll take you months if not years to negotiate the byzantine immigration route (almost as convoluted and costly as the American one).

That is true. I'm trying to get a visa into Canada right now and it's a painful and cumbersome process.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #37375 11/22/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
I'm trying to get a visa into Canada right now and it's a painful and cumbersome process.

¿Qué pasa? Normally Americans (non-felons) are allowed access to Canada with little ado.
You were up here before in the not-so-distant past for book promotion and didn't seem to have any difficulties in crossing the border. What's changed?

grelber #37376 11/23/15 12:01 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada. So far, the Canadians may have problems, but they seem to have a handle on sanity.

It seems to me that anyone seeking asylum from President Trump or President Carson would go to the head of the line. shocked

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
tacit #37381 11/23/15 03:23 PM

I think if it were me seeking asylum in a "friendly English-speaking" culture, I might consider either New Zealand or Australia as alternatives with a much warmer climate....

I'm just sayin'....

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #37382 11/23/15 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
I think if it were me seeking asylum in a "friendly English-speaking" culture, I might consider either New Zealand or Australia as alternatives with a much warmer climate.... I'm just sayin'....

A couple problems with either of those choices:

Australia's fauna (with the exception of mammals) are almost all venomous. Antivenins to counteract snake envenomization need to be specific; consequently, especially in the outback, you're probably doomed if you're bitten.

New Zealand — which is a wonderful place, even if you can't live in Hobbiton — is by and large free of all venomous creatures. However, the ozone hole over the whole country (ie, both islands) pretty much guarantees that over time you will become a walking melanoma or squamous cell carcinoma. Moreover, if you're over 56 and/or don't have a desired occupation or NZ$500,000 to invest in the country (and not just in your own home), you ain't getting a permanent resident visa.

But of the two places, go for NZ. Jeffrey Masson's SLIPPING INTO PARADISE : WHY I LIVE IN NEW ZEALAND (2004) is a gem of a book and a good start for tourists and potential expats.

grelber #37387 11/23/15 07:55 PM

New Zealand — which is a wonderful place, even if you can't live in Hobbiton — is by and large free of all venomous creatures.

And, Air New Zealand has the best airline safety video….ever.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #37389 11/23/15 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
And, Air New Zealand has the best airline safety video….ever.

wow...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
grelber #37392 11/23/15 09:13 PM

I'm trying to get a visa into Canada right now and it's a painful and cumbersome process.

¿Qué pasa? Normally Americans (non-felons) are allowed access to Canada with little ado.
You were up here before in the not-so-distant past for book promotion and didn't seem to have any difficulties in crossing the border. What's changed?

I'm trying to get a work permit/residency visa, rather than just visit. My partner and I have started a company that's headquartered in Vancouver, but technically I'm not allowed to do any work for the company unless I'm in the US. If I work from the US, Oregon wants a bite out of the company in the form of taxes (there's a state income tax on non-local companies that have a "business presence" in the state).

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #37396 11/23/15 10:11 PM

My partner and I have started a company that's headquartered in Vancouver, but technically I'm not allowed to do any work for the company unless I'm in the US. If I work from the US, Oregon wants a bite out of the company in the form of taxes….

I used to suspect that tax departments had agents whose only role was to ensure there were sufficient rules to 'cover ALL the bases'. Now I'm sure.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
tacit #37401 11/24/15 12:02 AM

I'm trying to get a work permit/residency visa, rather than just visit. My partner and I have started a company that's headquartered in Vancouver, but technically I'm not allowed to do any work for the company unless I'm in the US. If I work from the US, Oregon wants a bite out of the company in the form of taxes (there's a state income tax on non-local companies that have a "business presence" in the state).

Yeah, you're pretty much screwed. Your quest is going to take a long time and cost a lot. You might be better off moving to Vancouver, WA; that way OR can't touch you (pun intended).

jchuzi #37406 11/24/15 12:56 PM

is "telecommuting" considered "doing business"? That would seem to be an outrageously broad coverage, since that would mean even someone stopping in a hotel on a business trip and logging in over the vpn would put a 'business presence' in the state as they stayed the night.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #37410 11/24/15 01:26 PM

Originally Posted By: V1
is "telecommuting" considered "doing business"?

Yep!

My sister got tripped up (albeit not precisely in tacit's sense) when she moved from MD to CO; if she were to get paid for telecommuting her employer would be subject to all of CO's rules and taxes regarding employees (That may be universal among the states.) and wasn't willing to assume the burden.

I doubt that anybody'd try to tax a person overnighting in a hotel (not yet, anyhow tongue ), but in tacit's instance he's "maintaining a place of business" in OR by his presence and, therefore, subject to taxation by the state. (If the rules haven't changed, the business's income would probably be allocated to OR based on the proportion of sales, salaries, and assets located or occurring in OR.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #37474 11/28/15 08:30 AM

Trump wants database to track Muslims in US; Carson compares Syrian refugees to rabid dogs If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada. ...

The way things are going, should that come to pass, a better bet would be to bend over and kiss your ass good-bye. Maybe even hope to join the Rapture. tongue

Moi, I just hope to make it across the Rainbow Bridge (or at least the bridge to Terabithia) before the gates permanently close. smirk

grelber #37489 11/29/15 06:16 AM

The Smartness Act of 2015

Legislation to ensure minimum academic standards for government officials. This would likely eliminate most candidates for office. And not a moment too soon.

grelber #37491 11/29/15 08:36 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

That's hilarious (or is it?). If that were real legislation, the current congress probably couldn't understand it. But, that's never been a barrier to passing laws.

As a former teacher, I wish that there were minimum standards for becoming parents. Biological urges always trump brains.

Jon

jchuzi #37631 12/05/15 08:29 PM

Trump wants database to track Muslims in US; Carson compares Syrian refugees to rabid dogs If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada.

It seems that nuttiness must be a prerequisite even to be a Republican Senator. According to a New York Times editorial:

"While the nation suffered through the shock of another bloody massacre, on Thursday every Senate Republican except Mark Kirk of Illinois voted against legislation to prevent people on the F.B.I.’s consolidated terrorist watchlist from purchasing guns or explosives."

Last edited by ryck; 12/05/15 08:30 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #37634 12/05/15 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
"While the nation suffered through the shock of another bloody massacre, on Thursday every Senate Republican except Mark Kirk of Illinois voted against legislation to prevent people on the F.B.I.’s consolidated terrorist watchlist from purchasing guns or explosives."

Of course! Congress doesn’t want to pass any legislation that might cut into the profits of the arms industry and according to reports this last pair spent over $25,000 on guns. After all, along with Wall Street they are some of the biggest contributors to campaign funds and even better, “dark” money that doesn’t have to be accounted for. Similarly congress has passed legislation that prohibits collecting data on mental illness as related to gun violence, in spite of the pleas of many reputable mental health experts.

However even if congress passed legislation prohibiting persons on a watch list from purchasing guns or explosives this latest pair of terrorists were not on anyones watch list in this or any other country. They were completely under the radar.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #37636 12/05/15 11:47 PM

According to the CBC, this New York Times editorial (End the Gun Epidemic in America) appeared on the front page of today's printed edition — for the first time since 1920!

grelber #37638 12/06/15 12:02 AM

According to the CBC, this New York Times editorial (End the Gun Epidemic in America) appeared on the front page of today's printed edition — for the first time since 1920!

No matter what the public thinks off the front page editorial, to quote a current GOP Presidential front runner, "The New York Times is a failed anachronism and has no meaning in today's world." His words, definitely not mine.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #37639 12/06/15 12:10 AM

Of course, a year from now, the same will likely be true of the current GOP Presidential front runner.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard