Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
grelber #40358 05/08/16 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: honestone
Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade [imbalance], and the wall that MUST be built.

Yes indeed ... along the northern border to keep American riffraff out. mad crazy

Well, let's see…

• Canada was partly founded by American loyalists fleeing the revolution.

• During the Vietnam War, tens of thousands of Americans moved to Canada to avoid the draft and I am not aware of any downside.

• If Trump wins, we could see a lot of well-educated, highly-skilled and socially tolerant Americans coming north. That would be just fine.

If there's a wall, I'll be quite happy to help them over.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #40361 05/08/16 05:13 AM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I know we all feel strongly about our political positions, but the hostile and demeaning remarks being passed here are inappropriate and unacceptable.

Everyone just step back, take a deep breath and count to ten.

I can do that, but once someone makes such remarks directed at me, I am obligated to respond in kind.

honestone #40362 05/08/16 05:47 AM

Quote:
...once someone makes such remarks directed at me....

I assume that refers to my earlier post which was NOT "such [a] remark directed at [you]."

It was meant to obliquely suggest that neither you nor your wife or kids would have the least bit of interest in filling one single job held by a Mexican in my neighborhood, and was NOT so obscure that its meaning should have eluded you.

Unlike your knee-jerk response which was direct, nasty, and downright insulting, my post absolutely did NOT demean either you or your family in any way. (You've been studying Trump's mannerisms, haven't you?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40363 05/08/16 06:09 AM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505
Quote:
...once someone makes such remarks directed at me....

I assume that refers to my earlier post which was NOT "such [a] remark directed at [you]."

Yes, it was, and it's not the first time you have exhibited such immature behavior.

It was meant to obliquely suggest that neither you nor your wife or kids would have the least bit of interest in filling one single job held by a Mexican in my neighborhood, and was NOT so obscure that its meaning should have eluded you.

Again, a crock! You made those inappropriate, demeaning remarks about my wife and children. As it is, we are WAY more sophisticated and educated than you and your family are, or will ever be, by far. You proved that by making such remarks. I did nothing like that at all prior to your remarks.

Unlike your knee-jerk response which was direct, nasty, and downright insulting, my post absolutely did NOT demean either you or your family in any way. (You've been studying Trump's mannerisms, haven't you?)

Again, more lies. Just don't make such remarks anymore, or else I will respond in kind. If you can't make mature posts in these discussions, than you should not participate.

Last edited by honestone; 05/08/16 06:13 AM.
ryck #40364 05/08/16 07:50 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade [imbalance], and the wall that MUST be built.

Yes indeed ... along the northern border to keep American riffraff out. mad crazy

Well, let's see…
• Canada was partly founded by American loyalists fleeing the revolution.
• During the Vietnam War, tens of thousands of Americans moved to Canada to avoid the draft and I am not aware of any downside.
• If Trump wins, we could see a lot of well-educated, highly-skilled and socially tolerant Americans coming north. That would be just fine.
If there's a wall, I'll be quite happy to help them over.

Agree completely. Note that I said "riffraff", which does not include your examples.

grelber #40365 05/08/16 07:55 AM

More road apples for the proverbial American apple pie ...

To paraphrase Tromp: I love atavistic nationalism. (Not the notion but the linguistic combination.)

Republican Party Unravels Over Trump’s Takeover

GOP leaders fear their party is on the cusp of an epochal split between familiar conservatism and a rekindled, atavistic nationalism.
The crisis over Donald J. Trump reflects years of fraying ties between party elites and voters.

honestone #40366 05/08/16 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
I know we all feel strongly about our political positions, but the hostile and demeaning remarks being passed here are inappropriate and unacceptable.

Everyone just step back, take a deep breath and count to ten.

I can do that, but once someone makes such remarks directed at me, I am obligated to respond in kind.

No you’re not. The only thing you’re obligated to do in these forums is to follow the Board Rules, and requests or hints from the moderators. You may complain about perceived slights at our sufferance, or else. Consider this your final and last warning to behave before being banned.

alternaut moderator
artie505 #40368 05/08/16 02:06 PM

Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade in balance, and the wall that MUST be built.

Hmmm... If trade is truly in balance America has got absolutely no problems. wink tongue

After the wall is built there'll be any number of job opportunities for you and your wife and kids in my neighborhood...sorting fruit, cleaning homes, stocking shelves, and many, many more.

By now you should know to refrain from comments that can be easily misconstrued or used to start an ad-hominem diatribe. Consider yourself warned as well.

alternaut moderator
alternaut #40383 05/09/16 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
By now you should know to refrain from comments that can be easily misconstrued or used to start an ad-hominem diatribe. Consider yourself warned as well.

Sorry, alternaut; point well made and well taken.

(By the time it occurred to me to append a tongue it was, unhappily, too late; I hope it would have helped.)

Last edited by artie505; 05/09/16 04:44 AM. Reason: Better

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
grelber #40408 05/11/16 04:03 PM

Anuther coupla cents' worth ...

Given the political and social crapola/turmoil/inanity which is going on in the good ol' US of A and which seems bound to get worse, one can envisage another major "brain drain" of those who have more neurons than are necessary for bladder and bowel control.

Chances are that Canada will get a lot of those (for reasons of proximity and cultural compatibility), but many other countries are also bound to profit from the apparent Know-Nothing resurgence. [If you aren't familiar with that, check out mid-19th-century history; the parallels are unnerving.]

Depending on how many flee, the remnants of every nature could resemble a Monty Python sketch (but without the intellectual component). The primary beneficiaries will be the news media around the world reporting on such — ie, there will be much grist for their mills.

grelber #40409 05/11/16 04:13 PM
Banned
Banned

Or Trump could actually get the USA back on track again, and then we'd have to deal with either "smart" folks or more riffraff coming here.

Last edited by honestone; 05/11/16 04:15 PM.
honestone #40410 05/11/16 04:21 PM

Or Trump could actually get the USA back on track again, and then we'd have to deal with either "smart" folks or more riffraff coming here.

I wouldn't be so sanguine about Tromp (or Clinton, for that matter) getting anything "back on track" again — the tracks are well and truly warped, and it'll take a lot of heat and hammering to get them straight again ... and even then, most of the supporting trestles have been burnt.

grelber #40411 05/11/16 04:27 PM
Banned
Banned

I wouldn't be so sanguine about Tromp (or Clinton, for that matter) getting anything "back on track" again — the tracks are well and truly warped, and it'll take a lot of heat and hammering to get them straight again ... and even then, most of the supporting trestles have been burnt.

Yes, I previously stated that Trump could find it difficult (and maybe impossible?) to get anything accomplished in "do nothing" DC. And yes, Hillary could, at best, be very marginally "better" (whatever that means).

Note that I said Trump COULD actually get the US back on track. I of course realize how difficult that could be for him to do.

honestone #40644 05/23/16 02:52 PM

That's the fault of the party, not Trump. The smart thing for them to do would be to rally around him, and support him (as they should). If not, then as I have stated before, they would be giving up the election to Hillary, and creating an opening for her to get in.

So basically they created the problem, and he is exposing it and offering a solution. It's not so much what he says and does, but that he's hung out their dirty laundry to dry, and that the population dislikes BOTH the problem that's been created and the bitter pills that are now required to fix it.

The reps would rather just bury it all for another four years, kick the can down the alley a few more feet and make it the next generation's problem to deal with. Like what they've been doing for decades. Time to pay the piper! (and Trump's got a big shiny flute to wave around)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #40941 06/19/16 05:03 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40964 06/20/16 11:59 PM

Shocking!

Quote:
UPS, Motorola, JPMorgan Chase, Ford and Walgreens all told Bloomberg they won’t sponsor this year’s convention.

It might be more effective if they threatened to do it if it the candidacy wasn't brought to convention.

slolerner #40965 06/21/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner

Shocking!

Quote:
UPS, Motorola, JPMorgan Chase, Ford and Walgreens all told Bloomberg they won’t sponsor this year’s convention.

It might be more effective if they threatened to do it if it the candidacy wasn't brought to convention. (Emphasis added)

"[W]asn't" or "was"?

artie505 #40970 06/21/16 11:10 AM

With all due repect, I think I said what I meant to say. That these companies do not want Trump to be the nominee and would prefer that it be brought to convention.

slolerner #40977 06/21/16 10:13 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
slolerner #40981 06/22/16 06:10 AM

Quote:

It might be more effective if they threatened to do it if it the candidacy wasn't brought to convention.

"[W]asn't" or "was"?

With all due repect, I think I said what I meant to say. That these companies do not want Trump to be the nominee and would prefer that it be brought to convention.

This may be a reaffirmation of my abysmal SAT Verbal (i.e. reading comprehension) score, but aren't your two statements contradictory?

They'd "prefer that [WHAT] be brought to convention"?

No offense intended, but I don't think you've stated your position very clearly.

Last edited by artie505; 06/22/16 09:43 AM. Reason: Better

MacManiac #41080 07/07/16 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
....nah, The Donald isn't vocally anti-semitic in his rants....

Oops ...

Headline and blurb from today's New York Times:

Trump Defends Use of Image Seen as Anti-Semitic

Donald J. Trump breathed new life into a controversy that started when an image was posted on his Twitter account of a six-pointed star next to a picture of Hillary Clinton.

Still think the lead-up to Election Day doesn't smack of 1933 Germany?!

grelber #41081 07/07/16 10:30 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Here's the article: In a Defiant, Angry Speech, Donald Trump Defends Image Seen as Anti-Semitic
And, in an article that I can't immediately find, it was stated that he thought that Saddam Hussein wasn't all bad. After all, he was good at killing terrorists (!). That's somewhat akin to saying that Hitler made the trains run on time.

Jon

jchuzi #41082 07/07/16 11:36 AM

Mussolini made the trains run on time.

grelber #41083 07/07/16 02:46 PM

And now we can await the modern-day version of Kristallnacht orchestrated by the Führer and his Brownshirts. crazy

grelber #41084 07/07/16 03:31 PM

Donald J. Trump breathed new life into a controversy that started when an image was posted on his Twitter account of a six-pointed star next to a picture of Hillary Clinton.

Still think the lead-up to Election Day doesn't smack of 1933 Germany?!

Nope.

I think it's much simpler - the Clinton team is making use of Trump's fatal flaw, which is that he cannot resist taking the bait (as shown so many times during the primaries). He continues to rave on about the star when he could simply have ended it all with a simple "It was a simple mistake and I did not intend to offend."

But no, he keeps chewing on the bait while the Republican Party pushes him unsuccessfully to get on message about the Clinton emails - an issue they consider much more enduring.

It also underlines a key reason that he is unsuitable for the presidency. In Trump's mind, matters that affect him personally are more important than anything else.

Last edited by ryck; 07/07/16 03:35 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Page 13 of 40 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard