FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
MacManiac #42691 11/09/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
[Sarcasm] Personally, I'm just hoping that there is a possibility of good advisors actually providing good advice and then that advice being followed......is that too much to hope for? [/Sarcasm]

Not sarcasm. Trump just learned that ignoring advice, and being divisive, works. I figure that'll continue to be his M.O..

Last edited by ryck; 11/09/16 09:46 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42700 11/10/16 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: BBC News
Republican National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus said: "Donald Trump is taking this very seriously," adding that the business mogul's deal-making ability would enable him to quickly "make things happen for the American people".

BREAKING REAL ESTATE NEWS...

Trump and Vladimir Putin have finalized a major deal that gives the Trump Organization a $1.00/year 100 year lease on a prime parcel of downtown Moscow property, with Russia getting a similar lease on the Crimea.

And on another front, Bill & Hillary Clinton are seeking a home in a country that doesn't have an extradition treaty with the U.S.

Which American people other than the ones he sees in the mirror when he shaves? frown

Rudy Giuliani as Attorney General? He'll have to bail Sammy the Bull out of jail to get him to testify against Hillary in order to get a conviction.

And I can foresee an important role in the administration for Chris Christie: Trump hasn't got a dog.

Oh, well... Time to break out of this depression, hide my head in the sand, and hope for the best.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42701 11/10/16 11:16 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
grelber #42705 11/10/16 01:25 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
A remote possibility, mooted at in times past, is that the Electoral College could do as its component members choose, not as the vote 'suggested'; they are not bound to do the latter. One can only dream ....

That only works when there's an overwhelmingly obvious better alternative on the ballot. "only hillary could have lost to trump" is going around a lot right now.

As for building one, it would depend on how elegant (and deep) you wanted it to ward off apocalyptic intrusion. tongue

Don't forget, bunkers also make great tombs, and sometimes spontaneously convert themselves.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
ryck #42710 11/10/16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
Trump just learned that ignoring advice, and being divisive, works. I figure that'll continue to be his M.O..

And it sounds like his advisors may be the same. A television report this morning said that he's meeting today to begin choosing his Cabinet and some of the names being tossed around include Palin, Christie and Giuliani.

Wow! The most powerful nation in the world may be run by a roomful of flakes.

Last edited by ryck; 11/10/16 03:09 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42713 11/10/16 03:31 PM

Trump just learned that ignoring advice, and being divisive, works. I figure that'll continue to be his M.O..

And it sounds like his advisors may be the same. A television report this morning said that he's meeting today to begin choosing his Cabinet and some of the names being tossed around include Palin, Christie and Giuliani.

On the up side ...
If Sarah is going to be in DC (your choice: the district or the comics), maybe she'll rent out her Alaskan house and one could sit on the veranda and look at Russia. tongue

ryck #42716 11/10/16 03:39 PM

Well, it's no secret that he doesn't like smart people, so surrounding himself with people whose input is inconsequential is well within character.

Edit: His real cabinet is likely to be his kids.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42719 11/10/16 05:56 PM

Do you think it likely he will take advice from anyone? That would be a complete 180° turn around from all he's done to date. Given his reluctant to give up any of his business activities, or turn them over to someone else he may not have much time to spend running the government. Wonder how he will react the first time he discovers he can't fire a senator. are congressmen?

Hopefully the civil service will be able to reign in his worst excesses.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42721 11/10/16 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Do you think it likely he will take advice from anyone? That would be a complete 180° turn around from all he's done to date. Given his reluctant to give up any of his business activities, or turn them over to someone else he may not have much time to spend running the government. Wonder how he will react the first time he discovers he can't fire a senator. are congressmen?

Hopefully the civil service will be able to reign in his worst excesses.

Well, considering his unparalleled ability to see straight to the heart of complicated domestic and international issues and make instantaneous wise, practical, moral, and universally acceptable decisions, advice from others will be totally unnecessary, and running the government will take no more than a few minutes a day and will hardly interfere with his business activities.

I honestly don't think he's got a clue about what he's gotten himself into, or even worse, he does and doesn't give a damn for America's interests if they conflict with his own.

He may actually be at risk of getting impeached! (Hillary has already given the Republicans the White House and both Houses of Congress, so he's disposable if he becomes too much of an inconvenience.)

artie505 #42724 11/10/16 11:29 PM

Have you considered the possibility that a very dysfunctional Trump lead executive branch with the four stooges in the cabinet might, just might, be enough to kick start a similarly dysfunctional congress into thinking about governing the country. That might be a welcome change after 8 years of partisan wrangling over signs on bathroom doors.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42725 11/10/16 11:46 PM

Have you considered the possibility that a very dysfunctional Trump lead executive branch with the four stooges in the cabinet might, just might, be enough to kick start a similarly dysfunctional congress into thinking about governing the country. That might be a welcome change after 8 years of partisan wrangling over signs on bathroom doors.

That's what I had in mind when I suggested impeachment...the critical first step.

If they dump Trump they'll get Pence, who'll be a working President who's sympathetic to their agenda, and the country will at least be run, albeit in what manner and towards what ends would remain to be seen, with some degree of functionality.

Edit: And dumping Trump would also cleanse the party of at least some of the stigma his candidacy has attached to it.

Edit: As it stands, the Republicans really have Congress only; Trump has the White House, and I'll speculate that at this very moment, Paul Ryan is grinning a cheshire grin as he contemplates the possibility of a palace coup that will give him stature and power beyond his wildest dreams.

Last edited by artie505; 11/11/16 10:51 AM.

joemikeb #42729 11/11/16 08:59 PM

Do you think it likely he will take advice from anyone? That would be a complete 180° turn around from all he's done to date

Yep, that's basically his track record. Mostly ignore others. Anyone that offers him advice (solicited or otherwise) gets ignored. And sometimes I wonder if he does it a different way not because he thinks he has a better idea, but rather to simply be contrary to someone else's suggestion. His litany of campaign managers during this fiasco does a wonderful job of illustrating the point. (and also goes to a degree to show how it isn't necessarily unproductive, seeing as well... we're stuck with him now)

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #42730 11/11/16 10:52 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Not that I think that this means much, but Trump likes main Obamacare provisions 'very much'

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42731 11/11/16 11:42 PM

Editor David Remnick, of the New Yorker, describes the Trump victory as An American Tragedy.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #42734 11/12/16 08:07 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
[quote=ryck]Edit: His real cabinet is likely to be his kids.

Speaking of "Wow!", you called it ... although not the cabinet (yet) but his transition team.

grelber #42736 11/12/16 08:16 AM

Edit: His real cabinet is likely to be his kids.

Speaking of "Wow!", you called it ... although not the cabinet (yet) but his transition team.

It was a no-brainer, grelber, but I never would have guessed that Pam Bondi would be on the team; wasn't $25,000 enough for her? (Regardless of who ultimately gets appointed to what, I expect that his real cabinet is still likely to be his kids.)

And let's hope that I was also spot-on when I beat Michael Moore to this punch.

Last edited by artie505; 11/12/16 09:09 AM. Reason: More

artie505 #42737 11/12/16 10:57 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

If Trump is impeached, Pence becomes president. From the frying pan into the fire...

Jon

jchuzi #42738 11/12/16 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
If Trump is impeached, Pence becomes president. From the frying pan into the fire...

Pence is in absolutely NO way to my liking, but if he becomes President we'll at least have a balance of power, not a would-be dictator.

The Republicans will have their four years to muddle things up, and if the Democrats actually run some smart campaigns they may be able to score in both '18 and '20. (A high colonic would have been more productive than the high road was [as any fool should have plainly seen, particularly by the time the race reached the homestretch]).

The saddest result of this election is going to be its looong-lasting effect on the Supreme Court. frown mad

artie505 #42739 11/12/16 12:56 PM

Quote:
The saddest result of this election is going to be its looong-lasting effect on the Supreme Court.

I'd say the saddest result of this election is going to be the postponement for at least another four years of any serious attempt at addressing global warming here in the world's premier producer of carbon dioxide.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #42741 11/12/16 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh

Quote:
The saddest result of this election is going to be its looong-lasting effect on the Supreme Court.

I'd say the saddest result of this election is going to be the postponement for at least another four years of any serious attempt at addressing global warming here in the world's premier producer of carbon dioxide.

Amen to both comments

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42742 11/12/16 01:49 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Let's hope that the climate change deniers own beachfront property.

Jon

artie505 #42743 11/12/16 03:00 PM

He may actually be at risk of getting impeached!

You're right. When the President is a boy in a man's body, unable to control his impulses, it can't go anywhere else.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #42744 11/12/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Let's hope that the climate change deniers own beachfront property.

A major owner is Trump. His Miami tower sits right on the beach, ground zero for the impact of rising oceans.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42745 11/12/16 03:17 PM

He may actually be at risk of getting impeached!

You're right. When the President is a boy in a man's body, unable to control his impulses, it can't go anywhere else.

...particularly when he's disposable, even in his own party's terms.

artie505 #42746 11/12/16 03:35 PM

By the way, I read that Trump is scheduled to take the stand in the Trump U. trial a few days after Thanksgiving.

That figures to be quite a show in and of itself, and lawyer ideology could make it a spectacular one!

I don't envy the judge. frown

Page 26 of 40 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard