Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rogue Cookie
#42649 11/08/16 07:22 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I keep a close eye on cookies, removing unwanted ones on a regular basis. One cookie pops up periodically even though I don't go to the site. It is trumpgolfscotland.com

I did go to that site a few months back but haven't been there either before or since. Why would the cookie appear in the absence of a visit to the site?

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Rogue Cookie
ryck #42650 11/08/16 07:37 PM

If you are using Safari, go to Safari > Preferences > Cookies. Which option for Cookies and Website Data is selected?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42657 11/08/16 09:43 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I'm Mountain Lion, so getting to Cookies is Safari > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies and other website data, so I assume that's what you want me to view. In that window I have:

For: Block cookies and other website data I have selected From third parties and advertisers

For: Limit website access to location services I have selected Prompt for each website each day

Nothing is selected for the other two options "Website tracking" and "Smart Search Field"

Last edited by ryck; 11/08/16 09:44 PM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42658 11/08/16 09:59 PM

I've read about "persistent cookies", which are extremely difficult, if not impossible, to get rid of, and it's totally likely that an anus like Trump would use them.

I remember the discussion about the golf course, but I've got no idea if I visited trumpgolfscotland.com, and although I'd love to experiment, I'm not the least bit inclined to take the risk.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42660 11/08/16 10:06 PM

Very often there's a related but not-at-all-obvious cookie in your cookie list. The simplest way to rule that out is to delete all cookies, but that might make other things untoward. I usually go through mine and remove anything that seems not to belong.
Another possibility is that your web cache has a beacon or some other nasty embedded. So you might wish to clear your web cache completely.
See if any of that helps.

ryck #42682 11/09/16 05:06 PM

flash seems to be the main culprit of super cookies. dig them out yourself:
~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #42684 11/09/16 05:32 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

I tried that path but there doesn't appear to be anything Macromedia. I did a Spotlight search and it said there is a Macromedia folder in the Internet Plug-Ins folder.

But, when I looked there…no Macromedia folder.

I tried the same search after using Cocktail to Show Invisibles, but no luck.

Note: The Flash Plug-In is disabled.

Last edited by ryck; 11/09/16 05:33 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42687 11/09/16 07:17 PM

Maybe in the main Library for all users?

/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

(not the Library in your user folder)

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #42692 11/09/16 09:52 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: MacManiac
Maybe in the main Library for all users?

I thought about that but can't find one. The only library under Users is one attached to a user who is a periodic user (a daughter when she visits).

I also opened CleanApp and it didn't list anything named Macromedia. Neither did an EasyFind search.

Maybe Trump is getting even for all the stuff I said in The Lounge. grin

Last edited by ryck; 11/09/16 09:55 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42693 11/09/16 09:57 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
The only library under Users is one attached to a user who is a periodic user (a daughter when she visits).

There's got to be a second ~/Library...YOUR OWN.

For what it's worth, I've got the folder V1 referenced, /Users/artie/Library/Preferences/Macromedia

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42694 11/09/16 10:58 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Originally Posted By: artie505
There's got to be a second ~/Library...YOUR OWN.

Nope. That's what I thought. In the Users folder, rather than a folder with my name, there's a picture of a house (Home?) with my name….along with Folders that have other Users' names. Clicking on the House reveals these folders:

Applications
Desktop
Documents
Downloads
Dropbox
Magazines
Microsoft User Data
Movies
Music
Pictures
Public
Sites

There is nothing named Macromedia in any of them.

Last edited by ryck; 11/09/16 11:03 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42695 11/09/16 11:08 PM

The little house with your name is your User folder, but Mt. Lion is one of the versions of OS X in which ~/Library is hidden, so you may have to make it visible to find V1's referenced folder.

Last edited by artie505; 11/09/16 11:12 PM. Reason: Add link

artie505 #42696 11/09/16 11:27 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

...you may have to make it visible to find V1's referenced folder.

That did it, and I found the Macromedia folder….but nothing it it that would indicate trumpgolfscotland.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42697 11/09/16 11:41 PM

...you may have to make it visible to find V1's referenced folder.

That did it, and I found the Macromedia folder….but nothing it it that would indicate trumpgolfscotland.

V1's referenced path was /Users/ryck/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

In my installation, that folder contains a file named settings.sol, which stores your Flash prefs (as set in your pref pane in System Prefs).

If you've got anything else in that folder, delete it; if not take a look in settings.sol and see if anything looks off.

My recollection is that the type of cookies we're talking about can be stored in an assortment of different locations, so if you've actually got one it may not be where you're looking.

Have you tried searching for trumpgolfscotland, either as a separate file or as contents?

artie505 #42698 11/10/16 09:55 AM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

V1's referenced path was /Users/ryck/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/macromedia.com/support/flashplayer/sys/

Going to the end of that search, I do find a Sys Folder with a document called settings.sol It is the only document in the folder, however I am unable to open it.

Have you tried searching for trumpgolfscotland, either as a separate file or as contents?

Yes, I searched using Spotlight but it didn't generate any results.

Note: In the Preferences folder there are some peculiarly-named folders, all of which are empty.

$¨w‰è“c
4ó‰èrb
ϧ‰èrb (3 of these)
îë‰èrb (2 of these)
ú¨‰èrb (3 of these)

I mention these in case they are a source of odd behaviour.

Last edited by ryck; 11/10/16 09:58 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42699 11/10/16 10:07 AM

Going to the end of that search, I do find a Sys Folder with a document called settings.sol It is the only document in the folder, however I am unable to open it.

Mine opened in TextEdit.

Note: In the Preferences folder there are some peculiarly-named folders, all of which are empty.

$¨w‰è“c
4ó‰èrb
ϧ‰èrb (3 of these)
îë‰èrb (2 of these)
ú¨‰èrb (3 of these)

I routinely delte stuff like that. An empty folder, in particular, with a name like that is most likely a meaningless artifact.

ryck #42702 11/10/16 01:03 PM

$¨w‰è“c
4ó‰èrb
ϧ‰èrb (3 of these)
îë‰èrb (2 of these)
ú¨‰èrb (3 of these)

That is hard drive directory corruption. Run disk utility and verify the disk. There may be actual data damage that cannot be repaired without a reinstall.

Quote:
I routinely delte stuff like that. An empty folder, in particular, with a name like that is most likely a meaningless artifact.

That's kinda scary!

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #42709 11/10/16 03:01 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Mine opened in TextEdit.

As did mine....thanks for the tip. However, it didn't yield anything that would indicate the trumpgolfscotland cookie…..at least to my untrained eye.

øÙTCSO
settingsautoUpdateInterval@crossdomainAllow
safefullscreenwindowlessDisablecrossdomainAlwaysautoUpdateDisableddisallowP2PUplink
defaultalwaysautoUpdateDefaultUpdatedsecureCrossDomainCacheSizeødefaultmicrophone
echosuppressionallowThirdPartyLSOAccess
domains
trustedPaths autoUpdateLastCheckBuį]€æ
defaultcameraauthorizedFeaturesExpiry
gain@I
defaultklimit@Y

Last edited by ryck; 11/10/16 03:01 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #42711 11/10/16 03:26 PM

$¨w‰è“c
4ó‰èrb
ϧ‰èrb (3 of these)
îë‰èrb (2 of these)
ú¨‰èrb (3 of these)

That is hard drive directory corruption. Run disk utility and verify the disk. There may be actual data damage that cannot be repaired without a reinstall.

Quote:

That's kinda scary!

I'll keep your comment in mind, but over the years I've found any number of oddly named items (I can't say whether they were files, folders, or some and some.) in ~/Library/Preferences after restarting, and I've trashed them with no repercussions.

Is there some particular aspect of ryck's items that flags them?

Virtual1 #42712 11/10/16 03:27 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

In the Preferences folder there are some peculiarly-named folders, all of which are empty.

$¨w‰è“c
4ó‰èrb
ϧ‰èrb (3 of these)
îë‰èrb (2 of these)
ú¨‰èrb (3 of these)

I ran two verifications, the Partition Map and the Volume but both came up with "appears to be OK".

Could those oddball folders be some frick and frack from a previously unadvisable installation that's since been removed?

Could the two "appears to be okay" results be because I did a DiskWarrior directory rebuild about a week ago?

Last edited by ryck; 11/10/16 03:29 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42714 11/10/16 03:31 PM

Mine opened in TextEdit.

As did mine....thanks for the tip. However, it didn't yield anything that would indicate the trumpgolfscotland cookie…..at least to my untrained eye.

øÙTCSO
settingsautoUpdateInterval@crossdomainAllow
safefullscreenwindowlessDisablecrossdomainAlwaysautoUpdateDisableddisallowP2PUplink
defaultalwaysautoUpdateDefaultUpdatedsecureCrossDomainCacheSizeødefaultmicrophone
echosuppressionallowThirdPartyLSOAccess
domains
trustedPaths autoUpdateLastCheckBuį]€æ
defaultcameraauthorizedFeaturesExpiry
gain@I
defaultklimit@Y

Your contents are along the same lines as mine, and I think it's all stuff that belongs in there.

ryck #42715 11/10/16 03:34 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

Good morning Moderators:

I appear to have hijacked my own thread at Post 42698. Maybe this past chunk should be moved with a new title "Frick and Frack Folders".

Or we could sell this thread as "Read this thread and get a bonus opinion" blush wink

Last edited by ryck; 11/10/16 03:34 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42787 11/18/16 06:32 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

I keep a close eye on cookies, removing unwanted ones on a regular basis. One cookie pops up periodically even though I don't go to the site. It is trumpgolfscotland.com

So, it appears this may be more of a "Trump" thing than I thought. Today I had a cookie trumpmiami dot com. I visited that site Nov 12 and cleared the cookie from my machine immediately after. Now, it pops up again.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42951 11/30/16 04:11 PM
ryck Online OP
OP Online

So, it appears this may be more of a "Trump" thing than I thought. Today I had a cookie trumpmiami dot com. I visited that site Nov 12 and cleared the cookie from my machine immediately after. Now, it pops up again.

Or it may be something else….something nefarious that people such as Trump use to their advantage. I heard about a program called "Cookie" in another thread, so I went to a reviewer's site to learn about the software and, in their description of Cookie's functions, they mentioned:

"Then you’re asked if you’d like Cookie to clear the browser cache, in order to remove EverCookies.

These are the persistent cookies that have been designed to automatically respawn themselves from various secret caches, so that even when you do manually try to delete cookies from each browser, you’ll often see them reinstall themselves later."

So, I then went to Wikipedia and found:

"Samy Kamkar released v0.4 beta of the Evercookie on September 13, 2010, as open source.[9][10][11] According to the project's website: Evercookie is designed to make persistent data just that, persistent. By storing the same data in several locations that a client can access, if any of the data is ever lost (for example, by clearing cookies), the data can be recovered and then reset and reused.

Simply think of it as cookies that just won't go away.

Evercookie is a javascript API available that produces extremely persistent cookies in a browser. Its goal is to identify a client even after they've removed standard cookies, Flash cookies (Local Shared Objects or LSOs), and others.

Evercookie accomplishes this by storing the cookie data in several types of storage mechanisms that are available on the local browser. Additionally, if Evercookie has found the user has removed any of the types of cookies in question, it recreates them using each mechanism available."

….looks like I'll be buying "Cookie".

Last edited by ryck; 11/30/16 06:38 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42953 11/30/16 04:44 PM

Then you’re asked if you’d like Cookie to clear the browser cache, in order to remove EverCookies.

I've been running Cookie for years, and although I think I remember that, I can't find it now; where did you see it?

Let us know how you make out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard