FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Missing Attachments
#42435 10/31/16 04:29 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Has anyone using Apple Mail and osMac 12.x noticed that some e-mails that show the presence of attachments (with the paper clip icon) don't seem to have an attachment visible? However, if the e-mail is retrieved with another e-mail client or by web mail, the attachment is present.

Also, some e-mails that are HTML rich display only the coding and text and not the HTML version.

Don't suggest using different software or to check settings; been there done that. I'm trying to determine if it is more widespread than just me. Thanks.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Missing Attachments
Ira L #42437 10/31/16 06:04 PM

If an attachment is one page or less it will be displayed in-line and there is no particular indiction there is an attachment. but that has been true for a long time now (of course I have been using MacOS 10.12 for many months in beta so that colors my memory).

As far as HTML rich text displaying the coding and text I have seen that in the past but that was at least four or five years ago and I have not encountered it in any recent version of OS X/MacOS or Mail. IIRC when that happened in the past it was the result of an error in either an HTML header or a MIME decoding error.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Ira L #42438 10/31/16 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L
Has anyone using Apple Mail and osMac 12.x noticed that some e-mails that show the presence of attachments (with the paper clip icon) don't seem to have an attachment visible? However, if the e-mail is retrieved with another e-mail client or by web mail, the attachment is present.

One-page PDFs, most image formats, and some other kinds of attachments will be displayed in the body of the email if you use Mail, so you won't see the attachment icon. If you click in the body of the email, however, you'll see that you can't hilight individual text in part of the body--a block hilights instead. That's the attachment.

Also, some e-mails that are HTML rich display only the coding and text and not the HTML version.

Don't suggest using different software or to check settings; been there done that. I'm trying to determine if it is more widespread than just me. Thanks.

That usually indicates severely malformed HTML or incorrect MIME-TYPE headers. This is a problem with the email program that created the email.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #42439 11/01/16 01:54 AM

Quote:
One-page PDFs, most image formats, and some other kinds of attachments will be displayed in the body of the email if you use Mail, so you won't see the attachment icon.

That hasn't been my experience; I see the attachment icon even when the attachment is displayed inline.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
joemikeb #42444 11/01/16 08:09 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
If an attachment is one page or less it will be displayed in-line and there is no particular indiction there is an attachment. but that has been true for a long time now (of course I have been using MacOS 10.12 for many months in beta so that colors my memory).

As far as HTML rich text displaying the coding and text I have seen that in the past but that was at least four or five years ago and I have not encountered it in any recent version of OS X/MacOS or Mail. IIRC when that happened in the past it was the result of an error in either an HTML header or a MIME decoding error.

There is no inline display and no icon. This is not my first rodeo--I've seen the proper types of display before; all was "normal" until osMac 12.x.

Regarding HTML display, it is possible but unlikely that there is a coding or MIME error, but one time the e-mail (let's say from Amazon) will display in its full glory, while other times it is text and/or code only. Doubtful Amazon would inconsistently mess up on this.

So I take it you who are using Sierra are not experiencing this?

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #42446 11/02/16 01:19 AM

I have never encountered either problem in Mail since probably OS X 4 or 5 and currently not on either MacOS 10.12.x or iOS 10.x. Admittedly my default email app is Airmail 3 and not Mail, but my wife uses Mail on Sierra and gets a lot more email than I do and if something like that happened to her, believe me I would have heard all about it. 🤕
Regarding HTML display, it is possible but unlikely that there is a coding or MIME error, but one time the e-mail (let's say from Amazon) will display in its full glory, while other times it is text and/or code only. Doubtful Amazon would inconsistently mess up on this.

use t be sure we are on the same page, are you saying...
  1. the same email will appear normally one time you open it and is scrambled the next time you open it or…
  2. you receive two different emails from the same source (lets say Amazon) and one displays normally and the other does not?
Are you running MacOS 10.12 or 10.12.1?

Last edited by joemikeb; 11/02/16 01:22 AM. Reason: minor correction

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42447 11/02/16 01:36 AM

use t be sure we are on the same page, are you saying... (Emphasis added)

Dictation, I presume? grin

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #42461 11/02/16 03:06 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

use t {just to} be sure we are on the same page, are you saying...
  1. the same email will appear normally one time you open it and is scrambled the next time you open it or…
  2. you receive two different emails from the same source (lets say Amazon) and one displays normally and the other does not?
Are you running MacOS 10.12 or 10.12.1?

Your option (b) is the case, along with some e-mails that correctly display attachments and some don't. This occurred with 10.12 and 10.12.1 and only with Apple Mail. As I said in my original post, another e-mail client or web mail does not have the problem with the same e-mails affected in Mail; and it did not happen prior to Sierra.

On a Mac since 1984.
artie505 #42467 11/02/16 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
use t be sure we are on the same page, are you saying... (Emphasis added)

Dictation, I presume? grin

Spell check on the iPad Pro 😡

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42497 11/03/16 06:46 PM

You mis-spelled "Stoopud spel-czeck".... blush

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #42510 11/04/16 02:59 AM

SpellCheck I can live with . . . but that AUTOCORRECT is a royal pain!

mad

MG2009 #42530 11/04/16 04:22 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

Ahem, back on topic wink , there was a posting on MacInTouch that directly relates to my issue.

The poster said Apple has acknowledged it as a bug and is working on a fix. In the meantime they suggested a Rebuild of the In Box. I will give it a try and see if it does the trick.

On a Mac since 1984.
Ira L #42554 11/05/16 02:07 PM
Ira L Offline OP
OP Offline

It immediately worked! An e-mail that was displaying HTML code properly displayed after rebuilding the In Box. It remains to be seen if this temporary fix will stick between openings of Mail.

On a Mac since 1984.
MG2009 #42625 11/08/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
SpellCheck I can live with . . . but that AUTOCORRUPT is a royal pain!

ftfy wink

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard