FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Canon Scanner making massive documents
#42277 10/24/16 08:50 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

I have a Canon Pixma MX710 that is scanning a seven page black and white document, which ends up as 21.7 MB. I cannot send it as an email attachment.

I have other documents with many more pages and colour that ring in at 200KB or less.

Something has gone wrong but I can't figure out what. When Drive Genius cautioned me about a Canon log-in item, I showed two of the same one in log-in items, so I unclicked one of them. However, I have since gone back in and re-clicked it.

But, that hasn't helped.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Re: Canon Scanner making massive documents
ryck #42279 10/24/16 09:04 PM

• What is scared file format, PDF, JPG, TIFF,❓
  • What scanning resolution is set?
  • You said it is a black and white document, but are you scanning in color, grayscale, or black and white?
  • Are you OCRing the scanned document?
  • Does rescanning the same document result in an equally large file?
  • Are there graphics in the document?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42287 10/25/16 08:59 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
  • What is scared file format, PDF, JPG, TIFF,❓
    Don't understand 'scared', however the resulting scanned document is PDF.
  • What scanning resolution is set?
  • You said it is a black and white document, but are you scanning in color, grayscale, or black and white?
    Colour, as there are signatures in blue ink.
  • Are you OCRing the scanned document?
    No.
  • Does rescanning the same document result in an equally large file?
    Yes, when I rescan using the same settings. As there was some urgency to get the document sent via email, I did a rescan in B/W using 400 resolution. It resulted in a document about 1 MB less.
  • Are there graphics in the document?
    No.

Last edited by ryck; 10/25/16 09:09 AM.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42288 10/25/16 09:03 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
What is scared file format, PDF, JPG, TIFF,❓

Don't understand 'scared', however the resulting document is PDF.

Read "scanned", instead.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42289 10/25/16 09:08 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: artie505
[/quote]
Read "scanned", instead.

Oh…of course, thanks artie.

I think I'll go back to bed until my analytical capability returns. laugh

Last edited by ryck; 10/25/16 09:12 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42291 10/25/16 11:06 AM

Seven pages at 600 pixels per inch in RGB? Yeah, you're not likely to get them smaller than 21 MB; actually, that sounds on the low side.

Do they need to be 600 pixels per inch? That's a very high resolution. Most home laser printers are only half that (300 pixels per inch). Unless you're enlarging the documents, it's hard to know why you'd need them at 600.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #42293 10/25/16 12:50 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: tacit
Do they need to be 600 pixels per inch? That's a very high resolution.

I wanted to ensure that the signatures (coloured ink, thin lines) would come through. However, when I checked with my lawyer, he was satisfied with the black and white second scan.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42294 10/25/16 01:39 PM

😡😈 Spell check (scared for scanned) 👹

I normally scan at 300 pixel resolution, but when I have checks images to send to my bank for on-line deposits, I have to dial down to 200 pixels or they will not be accepted. So your 300 pixel scans would still appear to be unnecessary overkill.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42296 10/25/16 03:30 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

So your 300 pixel scans would still appear to be unnecessary overkill.

But, on the upside, this whole event has confirmed my suspicion that the cable company is filled with morons. When I tried to send the 21.7 MB document, I got a warning that the document was 29.7 MB, exceeding the limit of 29.4 MB.

Of course, when looking at their statement compared to the document size of 21.7, I naturally assume there's something wrong with the system.

After waiting 18 minutes for tech support I am informed that the 29.4 MB limit includes 8MB of processing overhead. Really? Who would choose to cause confusion (and anger) among their customers by stating the limit as 29.4 instead of 21.4?

Oh wait, I know the answer. It would be a moron.

Last edited by ryck; 10/25/16 03:30 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42297 10/25/16 03:42 PM

Who would choose to cause confusion (and anger) among their customers by stating the limit as 29.4 instead of 21.4?

That seems to be par for the course.

I had a similar experience a few months ago trying to email a video, but I didn't bother to pursue it and only found out what had happened recently when V1 posted that there's a 1/3 overhead factor when you email something.

I guess it's something we're expected to know on our own?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42300 10/25/16 06:21 PM

Including the overhead in the attachment size serves the marketing purposes of the ISP — whether it is cable, telco, satellite, or whatever. It allows them to market the larger number to attract new accounts because few users actually run up against the limit, it is rare that any customer ever notices the difference.

If you had a Apple iCloud Mail account you could send attachments up to 5GB in size using Mail Drop. Even if the version of OS X or Mail you are using does not support Mail Drop, you can still log onto the online iCloud Mail web interface and use Mail Drop.
  1. log onto your iCloud account and open the online Mail interface
  2. Click on Composer
  3. click on the Gear symbol in the sidebar and select Preferences
  4. in the Preferences window toolbar click on Composing
  5. check "Use Mail Drop when sending large attachments"
  6. Click on Done (iCloud Mail will remember this setting)
  7. Open the Mail Composer and write your message
  8. Click on the Paper Clip icon to attach the file then select it from the finder window. The attachment can either be local on your computer or on your iCloud Drive. (There will be some time delay copying the attachment from its location, but if it was on the iCloud Drive it does not take long.)
  9. NOTE: while Mail Drop attachments do not count against your iCloud Disk storage capacity, they "evaporate" from Mail Drop after thirty (30) days.
On later versions of OS X/MacOS, and you have a large attachment, Mail will ask if you want to use Mail Drop for a large attachment, and you do not have to be using an iCloud Mail account.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42301 10/25/16 07:25 PM

Good info!

Thanks. smile

joemikeb #42303 10/25/16 08:14 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

If you had a Apple iCloud Mail account you could send attachments up to 5GB in size using Mail Drop.

Good to know. Now, if I just knew how to get into my iCloud. I know it's out there somewhere, but I've never knowingly used it.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42306 10/25/16 09:18 PM

Good to know. Now, if I just knew how to get into my iCloud. I know it's out there somewhere, but I've never knowingly used it. [/quote]
The URL is http://www.icloud.com/ your userid and password is your Apple ID and password, the same one you use to purchase from iTunes or the App Store.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42323 10/26/16 07:23 PM

Just sounds like it's being scanned in an uncompressed ("raw") format. Open it up in preview, do a Save As, and change to some lossy format like JPG.

Then close the file, and open the JPG. Since the new format won't have a specified DPI anymore, you need to make sure it's not HUUUUGE resolution on your screen. Preview will try to open it to full size, but if it's bigger than the screen (probably is) it will zoom it down. Hit cmd-0 or select Actual Size under the View menu.

If that blows up too big on your screen, go to Tools, Adjust Size, and then scale it down. Preview will helpfully tell you how big your proposed new size is, so pick something you like. Save it.

Now just attach the smaller file. But you might want to keep the original. Edits and crops and cuts etc are best done on the larger file, to conserve detail. If you may want that detail later, keep the original.

PROTIP: open several images at once by selecting them in finder and dragging to preview. Get them showing up in a thumbnail list on the left, with the selected one on the right. Click over on the left to move the focus, then do a CMD-A to select all the thumbs. Now go to Adjust Size and resize them. Your adjustment will be done to all the images you have selected. If you changed quite a few, you may get to see it do its work one at a time when you try to close the window or quit preview. I use this when resizing images down taken from my digital camera when I don't need the huge files or massive resolution.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #42411 10/30/16 11:10 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Just sounds like it's being scanned in an uncompressed ("raw") format. Open it up in preview, do a Save As, and change to some lossy format like JPG.

I ended up doing a B/W scan at a lower resolution (my lawyer said it would be fine) and the document shipped okay - and before your post. However, I did run a test using your solution and, yes, that colour JPG would have shipped just fine. Thanks for the tip.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
joemikeb #42413 10/30/16 11:19 AM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The URL is http://www.icloud.com/ your userid and password is your Apple ID and password, the same one you use to purchase from iTunes or the App Store.

So, I have created an icloud email account and I notice that my Apple Mail now gives me the choice of sending via my regular email, or via icloud mail without logging into the icloud account. Handy.

I also see I have a new mailbox at the bottom of the Mailboxes sidebar identified as ICLOUD. It has one folder labeled "Junk". After sending a couple of test emails I notice there isn't a "Sent" folder.

Last edited by ryck; 10/30/16 11:29 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42417 10/30/16 02:41 PM

At the top of the list of Mailboxes you should see InBox, Drafts, Sent, Junk, Trash and by each of those a reveal triangle. If you click on the reveal triangles under each you will see an icon for each of your various accounts. If the Sent mailbox for iCloud does not appear there on Mail's menu bar click on Messages âž­ Synchronize all accounts and that should take care of it.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42420 10/30/16 05:44 PM
ryck Offline OP
OP Offline

The accounts were there. Thanks.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #42422 10/30/16 05:47 PM

If you aren't used to how Mail organizes all of that it can be confusing and even a bit disconcerting.

— Albert Einstein
ryck #42455 11/02/16 12:53 PM

I ended up doing a B/W scan at a lower resolution (my lawyer said it would be fine) and the document shipped okay - and before your post. However, I did run a test using your solution and, yes, that colour JPG would have shipped just fine. Thanks for the tip.

Also if you use Photos to "send to email" a picture, it will always give you several options on what size of image to send, can scale it down to a reasonable size for you automatically on-the-fly.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #42463 11/02/16 03:17 PM

Also if you use Photos to "send to email" a picture, it will always give you several options on what size of image to send, can scale it down to a reasonable size for you automatically on-the-fly.

Under at least OS X 10.10 (and beyond, and maybe even before) an e-mail composed in Apple Mail has the option via a pop-up menu in the e-mail itself to choose the size (small, medium, etc.) of an attachment. The corresponding size in KB or MB is also shown. This may not be the case with PDF's (I don't recall).

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #42469 11/02/16 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

Under at least OS X 10.10 (and beyond, and maybe even before) an e-mail composed in Apple Mail has the option via a pop-up menu in the e-mail itself to choose the size (small, medium, etc.) of an attachment. The corresponding size in KB or MB is also shown. This may not be the case with PDF's (I don't recall).

That will work for JPEGs and other "lossy" graphic formats, but it not available for PDFs.

PDF is a Page Description Language that uses defined tags to tell the PDF interpreter in the computer or printer how to format the document. This can even include a description of the typeface (font) in case the document is printed on a machine that does not have the font installed. It is all that descriptive material that increases the size of the PDF file. If you want to see what the PDF code looks like open a PDF file with a pure text editor (one that does not try to interpret the PDF) such as TextEdit, TextWrangler or BBEdit. PDFs can be compressed using Zip, 7Zip, RAR, TAR, and other text compression utilities, but that has to be done outside of Mail but you may find the compressed file is larger than the uncompressed version because of compression overhead.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard