for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: MacOS Sierra
jchuzi #42383 10/29/16 06:16 AM

Downloaded SIERRA on a MBPro and made a bootable flash drive before installing. Then used that same flash drive to install Sierra on the desktop. Smooth operation on both machines.

P.S. The MBPro is registered with Apple in my name; the desktop is registered in my spouse's name . . . so the download does not "appear" to be "owner or machine specific."

artie505 #42384 10/29/16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: grelber
And what would I be doing at an Apple Store anyway?

Taking advantage of Apple's generous offer to users in your position, i.e. bring your Mac to an Apple Store and get upgraded free of charge. tongue

OK. So I guess that it's back to square one.
I'll wait until I have to get a new Mac with MacOS Adirondack already installed. crazy

grelber #42388 10/29/16 11:06 AM

And what would I be doing at an Apple Store anyway?

Taking advantage of Apple's generous offer to users in your position, i.e. bring your Mac to an Apple Store and get upgraded free of charge. tongue

OK. So I guess that it's back to square one.
I'll wait until I have to get a new Mac with MacOS Adirondack already installed. crazy

Well, Apple created a market for bootleg installers when they decided against accommodating people in your position, and as I've pointed out before, they don't police those offered on eBay.

Take it for what its worth. crazy

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42392 10/29/16 03:40 PM

Well, Apple created a market for bootleg installers when they decided against accommodating people in your position, and as I've pointed out before, they don't police those offered on eBay.
Take it for what [it's] worth. crazy

See Rule #1 (my response to jaybass's "browser" question).

grelber #42395 10/29/16 07:23 PM

Take it for what [it's] worth. crazy

See Rule #1 (my response to jaybass's "browser" question).

Your rule is an excellent one, but I'll point out that you're skunked if you live by it in this instance.

Judging from your history, your OS will be looong-gone obsolete looong before you're ready to buy a new Mac, and I very much doubt that Apple's business model is to spur sales by making OS X/macOS unavailable to users, anyhow.

I doubt that any of the guys selling on eBay is malevolent.

I'd judge by reading their feedback, and I wouldn't hesitate to take the leap (on a separate partition, if not a separate drive, of course) were I in your position. (As I've said, Apple has created and, in their own way, supported the market.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42397 10/29/16 07:52 PM

Whatever I read, it was so long ago that I honestly can't say for certain whether it was that
  1. d/l's are machine specific
  2. d/l's can be made machine specific
  3. d/l's are optimized for the Mac doing the d/l'ing
so, an experiment...

My d/l of Install macOS Sierra.app (i.e. 10.12.0) for my Mid 2015 Retina MacBook Pro/2.80GHz/Quad Core i7/16GB RAM weighs in at 4,898,350,695 bytes; will somebody who's got the same d/l archived please post what they've got along with the details of the Mac to which it was d/l'ed.

Thanks.

Re: macOS Sierra
artie505 #42416 10/30/16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

The "disable" section of the "Restore Gatekeeper’s ‘Anywhere’ Option" section of your linked doc displays an incorrect command. (Same -- error at the bottom in the "enable" section. Proofreader needed...badly! Inquire within.)

Quote:
Enter the following command at the Terminal prompt (note: before “master-enable” there should be two short dashes with no space between):

sudo spctl –master-disable

(Emphasis added)

sudo spctl --master-disable
There is a way to do this via OnyX but it doesn't stick. In OnyX, select Parameters and then select Misc. There is a box to disable Gatekeeper. If you then go to System Preferences > Security&Privacy, the option to accept all apps is there and is checked. However, if you decide to check one of the other two options, quit System Preferences, and then relaunch it, the third option is no longer available, as before.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42442 11/01/16 10:30 AM

I guess that I'll have to wait until the next time that updates are available to see if App Store is behaving.
I updated to iTunes 12.3.5 via App Store and App Store was behaving normally, except that it did not list updates installed in the last 30 days.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42450 11/02/16 11:17 AM

I just upgraded, and I'm not liking it much so far because of broken apps, and in that regard, my beloved moveAddict no longer works, and although I believe there's a way to cut & paste files and folders across volumes I either haven't figured it out or haven't been able to make it work; neither command-C followed by command-option-V, nor command-X, does anything that I can see.

Am I missing something, or is something broken?

Thanks.

jchuzi #42453 11/02/16 12:04 PM

Are you sure about the "machine specific" part? I thought that all these downloads were generic, as they would have to be in order to be installed on a variety of machines. I doubt that even Apple could afford the time and money to make specific versions for all the Macs that are out there. (And why bother?)

OS downloads (and possibly updates ) via Software Update ("updates") are usually machine-specific. So can be restore partitions.

HOWEVER.... if you go to the App Store and download Sierra from there, it will place "Install Mac OS X Sierra.app" into your apps folder, and THAT is universal.

Make a folder on your desktop, call it Sierra, and drag-move the installer app out of Applications into that. Launch disk utility, and do a File, New, Disk Image from Folder, and select that folder. Packs it up into a nice .DMG file, easy put on a flash drive for transport to another computer.

At the other end, just open the DMG right off the flash drive (don't copy the dmg), and drag-copy the app back into the Applications folder, and run it from there to install.

To make your USB drive a BOOTABLE installer, you need to do a little more work. Described well here:
http://www.macworld.com/article/2981585/...ller-drive.html
(instructions should work fine for sierra)

When I plug in this flash drive, it automagically mounts a DMG on it. (the installer is a bit of a russian doll) Not sure how they do that, but that's why you need to use those instructions. You CAN make a bootable installer much easier by just retiring the inner DMG to the flash drive, and it will boot, but will then need to DOWNLOAD the installer, somewhat defeating the purpose. The macworld link makes a standalone bootable installer that doesn't require internet access or any downloading.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
artie505 #42460 11/02/16 02:56 PM

I just upgraded, and I'm not liking it much so far because of broken apps, and in that regard, my beloved moveAddict no longer works, and although I believe there's a way to cut & paste files and folders across volumes I either haven't figured it out or haven't been able to make it work; neither command-C followed by command-option-V, nor command-X, does anything that I can see.

Am I missing something, or is something broken?

Thanks.

According to this Apple Support document the ordinary command-C or -V should work on files in the Finder.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Virtual1 #42466 11/02/16 05:31 PM

" . . . OS downloads (and possibly updates ) via Software Update ("updates") are USUALLY machine-specific."

------------------------------------------

Not always so. See thread #42383 above.

MG2009 #42480 11/02/16 11:40 PM

I just saw a glitch in the update to Sierra from El Cap. All the events that I had entered into Calendar were missing. Fortunately, I had made a clone of the El Cap system before updating so I was able to boot into it and retrieve the entries.

How did this happen?

Jon

jchuzi #42483 11/03/16 05:31 AM

It's the treasure of the Sierra, madre!

artie505 #42485 11/03/16 10:30 AM

It's the treasure of the Sierra, madre!
grin

Actually, another thing happened today. Notification Center told me that there was an update available. It turns out that it was iTunes 12.5.3. I installed that one yesterday but, what the heck, I did it again. As before, AppStore did not list any updates from the last 30 days.

I don't know if this update was a small one because, when I launched iTunes and selected About iTunes, the version listed was 12.5.3.17.

Jon

jchuzi #42489 11/03/16 02:07 PM

Jon, I think you aren't holding your mouth right 👴🏻 or there is a little black rain cloud following you around. ☂️ I just looked at my list of upgrades and it is current as of yesterday's MacOS 10.12.2 beta 1 update and this morning's update of Numbers 4.0.5.

Unfortunately I have no answers for you 😞

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #42490 11/03/16 02:11 PM

I don't know if this update was a small one because, when I launched iTunes and selected About iTunes, the version listed was 12.5.3.17.

I've got v 12.5.3.16, and an update sitting in /Library/Updates. (The d/l is 5 separate packages!)

If I remember correctly, this is the 3rd update to address the same issues. grin

artie505 #42492 11/03/16 02:36 PM

I just noticed that a 3 finger tap now calls up all sorts of stuff...but NOT dictionary!

Is there a way to restore the original functionality?

Thanks.

jchuzi #42494 11/03/16 06:10 PM

" . . . It turns out that it was iTunes 12.5.3 . . . "

--------------------------------------------

My update of October 28th was 12.5.3.16 and the update today is 12.5.3.17 - although the "fixes" listed for each in Software Update were described exactly the same.

artie505 #42495 11/03/16 06:13 PM

Hmmm?

Neither my Magic Mouse 2 nor my MBPro trackpad have a 3-finger TAP option in System Preferences - just single, double and swipes.

MG2009 #42498 11/03/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: MG2009
Hmmm?

Neither my Magic Mouse 2 nor my MBPro trackpad have a 3-finger TAP option in System Preferences - just single, double and swipes.

You don't see this?

artie505 #42500 11/03/16 09:21 PM

By-cracky! It is there in TRACKPAD, but the little blue box was not checked.

(To be honest, I had no idea what LOOK UP & DATA DETECTORS meant and just ignored it. blush )

Thanks for the tip.

With a 3-finger tap, I get DICTIONARY and THESAURUS choices . . . plus Wiki, Apple, and some others.

MG2009 #42505 11/04/16 01:10 AM

By-cracky! It is there in TRACKPAD, but the little blue box was not checked.

(To be honest, I had no idea what LOOK UP & DATA DETECTORS meant and just ignored it. blush )

Thanks for the tip.

With a 3-finger tap, I get DICTIONARY and THESAURUS choices . . . plus Wiki, Apple, and some others.

I wasn't getting the Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Apple options.

I've thrown in the towel and reverted to El Cap...too many issues with Sierra including abysmal slowness populating Finder windows and switching Safari tabs, 3rd party menulet positions not surviving a restart, and almost a minute between hitting "Restart" and the chime.

I'll wait for the 10.12.2...at the least.

artie505 #42509 11/04/16 02:53 AM

" . . . I wasn't getting the Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Apple options . . . "

---------------------------------------------------------

Small consolation, but FWIW, that feature now is not reliable for me either. Sometimes when I tap, I get the expected popup . . . at other times, nothing happens at all.

So . . . I have "unchecked" it from the TRACKPAD PREFERENCES. Have lived without it this long, so not a big deal for me. crazy

Definitely some sort of bug-a-boo in SIERRA, though.

MG2009 #42511 11/04/16 03:03 AM

Small consolation, but FWIW, that feature now is not reliable for me either. Sometimes when I tap, I get the expected popup . . . at other times, nothing happens at all.

I've always had similar trouble with the three-finger tap, but it's invariably been because I didn't have my fingertips lined up correctly.

It may be worth your while to give it another try with that in mind.

My problem was that I wasn't getting the full range of options.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard