FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: macOS Sierra
joemikeb #41936 09/25/16 12:03 AM

Thanks for the great analysis of Sierra! smile

I don't see a single substantive reason for me to upgrade, but having made the Snowy-El Cap jump I don't want to ever fall that far behind again, and I get the feeling that Sierra and future upgrades will put more distance between themselves and El Cap than Lion, et al put between themselves and Snowy, so I'll bow to reality, although not until the real world reports back.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #42019 10/01/16 06:57 PM

The Sierra-compatible version of OnyX is now available.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42209 10/19/16 11:52 PM

If you are unalterably opposed to iCloud then read no further. ☺️

A recent SmallDog Tech Tails article led me to discovered a feature in Sierra I had overlooked. I have talked about mirroring the Documents and Desktop folders between local storage and iCloud and gone on at length about how between that, iTunes in the iTunes library, and the Photos library allow sharing virtually all the data files seamlessly between the Mac, iPhone, and iPhone. But this is a feature targeted specifically at storage management on the Mac.

Navigate to Apple Menu âž­ About this Mac âž­ Storage âž­ Manage. There you will find options to
  • Store in ICloud — Store all files and Photos in iCloud and save space keeping only recently opened files and optimized photos on this Mac, when storage space is needed.
  • Optimize Storage — Save space by automatically removing iTunes movies and TV shows that you have already watched and by keeping only recent email attachments on this mac, when storage space is needed
  • Empty Trash Automatically — Save space by automatically erasing items that have been in the Trash for more than 30 days.
  • Reduce Clutter — Sort through documents and other content stored on this Mac and delete what is no longer needed.
    • Applications shows all the files in the the user and system applications library — and they can be deleted from this view
    • Documents can be viewed by Large files, Downloads, or a file browser
    • GarageBand opens GarageBand so you can delete instruments, lessons, etc.
    • iBooks lists all iBooks their size and whether they are unread, read, or being read
    • Mail lists the amount of space being used by Mail
    • Photos lists the total amount of space being used by Photos and will open Photos so you can manage the Photos Library
    • Trash shows all the files currently in Trash and not erased
    • There are, of course, third party apps that will do much of what Reduce Clutter does but this appears to be thoughtfully and intelligently designed and best of all free.
There is a plethora of implications that can be drawn by the appearance of this kind of tool built into Sierra including Apple is looking at a reality that ever increasing local storage is expensive and perhaps impractical (local storage soldered to the logic board or built into the processor?), but to my way of thinking the major implication is it is one more step along to road to the iCloud becoming an integral component of MacOS and iOS devices.

One last comment. All of this means critical data can be stored both locally and on iCloud and easily shared between MacOS and/or iOS devices, but it is not a replacement for either Time Machine backups or clones. Data on iCloud can be a help in restoring after a disaster, but it does not offer a one call does all complete recovery nor does it provide the Time Machine's ability to step back in time to a previous state of the system or an individual file.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #42221 10/21/16 07:26 PM

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #42348 10/27/16 03:22 PM

I updated to Sierra today. One odd thing: The download was for 10.12. After installation was complete, I saw that 10.12.1 was available. I had thought that the latest version would automatically be installed (this has happened in the past).

Otherwise, everything went smoothly and, so far, all seems well. I had to update Glimmer Blocker, Cocktail, OnyX, TinkerTool and TinkerTool System to their respective Sierra versions.

Jon

jchuzi #42356 10/27/16 10:35 PM

I just noticed something. After updating to 10.12.1, App Store shows that 5 updates available but doesn't list what they are nor any means of installing them. I have restarted and the same thing happens.

Is this just me or is App Store temporarily out of service?

EDIT: More info

I knew from MacUpdate and CNET which apps were being updated. I launched App Store and clicked the link for Apps Made By Apple. I was able to individually download and install them. As each was installed, the number of Updates Available was reduced by one. Finally, I launched iTunes and was informed of an update being available. I downloaded the update directly via iTunes, which opened the Updates pane of App Store. After the installation was complete, that pane told me that no updates were available but it also did not list updates installed in the last 30 days (which it did before).

Last edited by jchuzi; 10/27/16 11:03 PM.

Jon

jchuzi #42357 10/27/16 11:23 PM

Since you did not describe what you did and didn't do, or how App Store is indicating 5 updates I am not sure how to respond to your question. However, I just downloaded and installed an app with no problem so the App Store is/was working in Texas around 7:00 PM CDT — of course that does not necessarily mean it is working in your area or was working when you checked. (You can always check the system status by going to iCloud.com and click on "System Status" in 7 or 8 point type at the bottom and toward the right of the iCloud window. Both App Store and Apple Online Store have status listings.)

The normal sequence I encounter in Sierra is...
  • A notification appears on the screen from App Store that there are N updates available.
  • At that point I can either dismiss the notification or click on the correct location in the notirication and it will open App Store
  • If I dismissed the notification without opening App Store I can manually launch App Store at any time.
  • In App Store I click on the Updates icon at the lower right end of the app window
  • At that point I can either install the updates one at a time or "Update All"
NOTE: On a few occasions it has taken several seconds for the update window to populate and even longer before the pinwheel stops turning while App Store verifies the available updates.

— Albert Einstein
jchuzi #42358 10/28/16 02:31 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi

The "disable" section of the "Restore Gatekeeper’s ‘Anywhere’ Option" section of your linked doc displays an incorrect command. (Same -- error at the bottom in the "enable" section. Proofreader needed...badly! Inquire within.)

Quote:
Enter the following command at the Terminal prompt (note: before “master-enable” there should be two short dashes with no space between):

sudo spctl –master-disable

(Emphasis added)

sudo spctl --master-disable

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #42359 10/28/16 03:01 AM

" . . . that pane told me that no updates were available but it also did not list updates installed in the last 30 days (which it did before) . . . "

--------------------------------------------

Not sure what is up for you, Jon.

I get the APP store "little red number in the blue circle dock icon", as before SIERRA, stating how many updates are available (both Apple and 3rd-party apps). I go to the APP STORE using the Apple symbol in the top left hand corner and select Updates. The wheel spins and then the new updates all appear - matching the quantity as was indicated on the little blue App Store icon in the dock. I install each one . . . one at a time . . . and then each one, in turn, appears listed below as "installed within the last 30 days."

In a nutshell: The behaviour is exactly the same as it was in EL CAPITAN.

The only thing which does not appear in the "Installed in the last 30 days" panel, per se, is any of the SIERRA system updates which have been installed (i.e. 10.12.1). However, any Sierra Apps (e.g. Safari, iTunes, iMovie, etc.) - as well as third-party apps - all show up in the installed list immediately after installing.

Again, all appears to be the same process as with El Capitan.

FYI : I have my System Preferences for the App Store set to only notify me of any updates. I have not activated the Automatically Install Option for any downloads from the App Store.

P.S. West Coast Canada here. Not sure if this info helps, but thought to chime in anyway.

joemikeb #42362 10/28/16 10:16 AM

Let's see if I can clarify this. Here's the sequence:

I. I downloaded and installed Sierra, version 10.12, from my El Cap installation via App Store.

2. I launched App Store, which told me that four updates (Pages, Keynote, Numbers, and 10.12.1) were available. I proceeded to download and install all of them. App Store seemed to be behaving normally.

3. I noticed at MacUpdate that there were updates to Pages, Keynote, and Numbers beyond the versions that I previously updated. Consequently, I opened App Store and clicked the Updates tab.

4. App Store showed the updates that I had installed in the last 30 days and the Updates icon had the number 5. BUT, there was no list of which updates were now available and no button(s) to either Update or Update All.

5. I quit App Store, deleted ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.appstore, and relaunched App Store. There was no difference.

6. Since I was aware of which updates were listed (via MacUpdate), I selected the Featured tab of App Store, clicked Apps Made by Apple, and was able to update the apps in question from there (plus iMovie and Garage Band). I went back to the Updates tab, which showed the same as before. Interestingly, the Featured tab, with Apps Made By Apple, had showed which updates were available because they each had an Update button. After installation, the button changed to Open.

7. I had seen, from CNET, that an update to iTunes was available. I launched iTunes, got a message that there was an update, and opted to update. App Store's Updates tab opened and showed the download progress as it should, and indicated when the installation was complete. It then said Checking for Updates and reported that there were none, nor did it list updates installed in the last 30 days.

That's where it stands for now.

Jon

jchuzi #42363 10/28/16 10:41 AM

I too had/have a quite similar problem as Jon. As a workaround, I was able to individually install 5 of 6 the required downloads via the “Purchased” pane.

The sixth item (iTunes) was initially missing from the Updates pane, so I thought that would need be separately downloaded & installed. But after I installed the first 5 items via the Purchased pane, iTunes magically appeared in the Updates pane and downloaded as usual.

I haven’t a clue what is going on, but I suspect server issues at Apple. confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #42364 10/28/16 02:08 PM

I guess that I'll have to wait until the next time that updates are available to see if App Store is behaving.

Jon

jchuzi #42366 10/28/16 04:27 PM

Apparently there was a brief glitch with the App Store. The notifications are correct, and as indicated above, you could "Update" by going to the "Purchased" link in the App Store (signing in may be required).

From what I have read elsewhere and my own experience, the problem has been resolved and updating in the usual manner is once again possible.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: MacOS Sierra
artie505 #42368 10/28/16 05:25 PM

RE Upgrading to Sierra (assuming that at some point that would be useful ~ desirable ~ necessary)

It is still the case that I have zero access to high-speed qua broadband Internet access in order to acquire/install the latest bits and pieces. I would ostensibly require the OS cum installer to be on a USB drive or similar — which apparently doesn't exist.

Other than my being forced into upgrading my hardware to acquire the latest MacOS, I don't see other options. Any suggestions?

I can update most of my 'essential' apps by downloading same separately online via other methods. But I don't relish losing Office for the Mac 2011 and other such entities simply because I upgrade to an incompatible OS. Again, any suggestions?

grelber #42369 10/28/16 06:45 PM

You don't have to worry about Office 2011. According to Roaring Apps, it works just fine in Sierra. As an addendum to this, I use Office 2008 and it's working in Sierra as well. Roaring Apps is a good place to check compatibility. For the few apps that weren't listed there, I contacted the developers for info before I went for Sierra.

Do you know someone who has a broadband connection and could put the installer on a USB drive for you?

Jon

jchuzi #42370 10/28/16 06:56 PM

Update:

Just got a notice in the App (blue) icon in the dock that TWO (#2 in red circle) new updates are available . . . iTunes 12.5.2 and a 3rd-party.

Downloaded and installed, as usual. Both show up as "installed in the last 30 days."

Not sure why it works for me. Seems "odd" that the App Store would work in some parts of the continent and not in others. Probably beyond my comprehension anyway. blush

jchuzi #42371 10/28/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Do you know someone who has a broadband connection and could put the installer on a USB drive for you?

That may be problematic if d/l's are machine specific (as I believe they are).

I wonder how far grelber is from an Apple Store?

artie505 #42372 10/28/16 07:53 PM

Are you sure about the "machine specific" part? I thought that all these downloads were generic, as they would have to be in order to be installed on a variety of machines. I doubt that even Apple could afford the time and money to make specific versions for all the Macs that are out there. (And why bother?)

Last edited by jchuzi; 10/28/16 07:53 PM.

Jon

jchuzi #42373 10/28/16 08:27 PM

I simply can't say for certain, Jon.

I know I read it somewhere, but that was at least a coupl'a years ago, and I can't find either a specific yes or a specific no, now

At the least, a d/l for a laptop may not run on a desktop, and a Retina screen Mac may get a different d/l than a non-Retina.

The bootleg installers on eBay all claim to be generic, but Apple's install discs were machine specific, so why not their d/l's, too?

It certainly wouldn't hurt for grelber to try, but as was discussed in another thread recently, pursuant to the terms of Apple's EULA, Sierra d/l'ed on one Mac is not transferrable to another one if the Mac doing the d/l is running it (or, I guess, intends to run it).

Last edited by artie505; 10/28/16 08:40 PM. Reason: More & better

artie505 #42374 10/28/16 08:39 PM

I, like virtually everybody else, never read the EULA. At the risk of Apple suing me, I'll confess to something. Back in April, I downloaded El Cap, copied the installer to a USB stick, and used it to install El Cap on a friend's MBP. I was running El Cap at the time. (OK, coppers, you got me fair and square!)

So, it seems that the EC installer worked on my 2014 iMac as well as her 2011 MBP.

Jon

jchuzi #42375 10/28/16 08:42 PM

Can't argue with that!

Last edited by artie505; 10/28/16 09:04 PM.

artie505 #42378 10/28/16 09:12 PM

Another App Store surprise. App Store informed me there was an update to iTunes, so I clicked on update. When the update completed, App Store revealed that not only iTunes had been updated but also an update to the Recovery Drive had been installed. I would have approved the Recovery Drive update, but it would have been nice to have had the option of installing one and not the other. 😒

— Albert Einstein
artie505 #42379 10/28/16 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wonder how far grelber is from an Apple Store?

I have no idea where they lurk in Canada, but I'd guess at least 1000-2000 km from where I am.
And what would I be doing at an Apple Store anyway? I'm sure not shlepping my iMac around the countryside.

joemikeb #42380 10/28/16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Another App Store surprise. App Store informed me there was an update to iTunes, so I clicked on update. When the update completed, App Store revealed that not only iTunes had been updated but also an update to the Recovery Drive had been installed. I would have approved the Recovery Drive update, but it would have been nice to have had the option of installing one and not the other. 😒

I've got my option set to download but NOT install, and when the updates get to /Library/Updates I often find more than one dmg, e.g. Safari 10.0.1 and its related security update were separate installations.

Edit: I'm surprised that you weren't advised of the Recovery Drive Update; even though the Safari update was predominant on the App Store page the security update was mentioned, albeit in small print.

Edit 2: And using the d/l method enables me to both install selectively and archive d/l's such as Safari.

Last edited by artie505; 10/29/16 12:01 AM. Reason: More

grelber #42381 10/28/16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
And what would I be doing at an Apple Store anyway?

Taking advantage of Apple's generous offer to users in your position, i.e. bring your Mac to an Apple Store and get upgraded free of charge. tongue

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard