for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Screen color oddity
#42340 10/27/16 08:48 AM
OP Online

Mods, I think this is hardware, not Excel, related, but please move it if appropriate.

Can somebody please explain this oddity ?

I've always thought that color was on a pixel by pixel basis, so why does the black text shade its entire cell?

This is reproducible.

Thanks.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Screen color oddity
artie505 #42344 10/27/16 01:34 PM

I would need to see the HTML source code, but I suspect it is intentional on the part of the site developer, or it may be a glitch in the rendering engine.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42346 10/27/16 02:25 PM
OP Online

It's an Excel spreadsheet, not a website.

Edit: I just overpainted the cells that displayed the oddity, and their color was corrected. confused

Hmmm... And it's no longer reproducible!

I guess it was an Excel glitch that got fixed up somewhere along the way.

Last edited by artie505; 10/27/16 03:09 PM.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42350 10/27/16 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
It's an Excel spreadsheet, not a website.

:dopeslap: (there really needs to be a dopeslap emoji) I flat overlooked you had said it was an Excel spreadsheet. blush As far as I am concerned that would have been explanation enough. I have seen some of Microsoft's code and coding practices and neither was pretty.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42353 10/27/16 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
:dopeslap: (there really needs to be a dopeslap emoji) I flat overlooked you had said it was an Excel spreadsheet.

Well ...? It's in your ballpark. Do it! (Create it and give it to the world.) We's a-waitin'.

grelber #42355 10/27/16 10:30 PM

Actually emojis are defined in an international standard and new ones have to be approved by a committee. Creating a dopeslap Emoji image would be no problem, proving to the committee it is a needed addition, and getting them to accept my rendition would be a HUGE undertaking that can take years, and of course then you would have to get the character into the character sets.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42365 10/28/16 02:27 PM

Actually emojis are defined in an international standard and new ones have to be approved by a committee. Creating a dopeslap Emoji image would be no problem, proving to the committee it is a needed addition, and getting them to accept my rendition would be a HUGE undertaking that can take years, and of course then you would have to get the character into the character sets.

Hard to understand, especially when a <fresh pile of crap> emoji made the cut. confused

grelber #42377 10/28/16 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Hard to understand, especially when a <fresh pile of crap> emoji made the cut. confused

Hopefully to end this off topic conversation, remember the old conundrum, "One man's trash is a committee's treasure" or words to that effect. 🙄

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42626 11/08/16 03:12 PM

Guess what I found among the new emoji in iOS 10.2 beta on my iPad and MacOS 10.1.2 beta? Not just a "dopeslap" but a male dopeslap (🤦🏻‍♂️) and a female dopeslap (🤦‍♀️) And each is available in a choice of six skin tones. The emoji selector is much larger on my iPad Pro so the emoji are much easier to differentiate.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #42627 11/08/16 03:13 PM
OP Online

Guess what I found among the new emoji in iOS 10.2 beta on my iPad and MacOS 10.1.2 beta? Not just a "dopeslap" but a male dopeslap (🤦🏻‍♂️) and a female dopeslap (🤦‍♀️) And each is available in a choice of six skin tones. The emoji selector is much larger on my iPad Pro so the emoji are much easier to differentiate.

Sumthin's wrong somewhere!

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard