for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
File types
#42125 10/11/16 10:51 PM
OP Online

I use XtraFinder to create symbolic links...much smaller than aliases, and when I search for them with EasyFind they appear as "kind" 'slnk' with the exception of one.

That link, to /Applications/Utilities/NoSleepHelper.app is significantly larger than the the app itself - 1.9 MB v 238 KB - and appears as "kind" 'fapa', which apparently is generated by OS X.

The Devon Technologies tech support guy with whom I've been communicating has no idea what 'fapa' means.

Has anybody got an idea?

Thanks.

(I'd like to do some research, but XtraFinder has lost its ability to create symbolic links in /Applications/Utilities...the only location I've found in which it doesn't work, so I'm stuck.)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: File types
artie505 #42126 10/11/16 11:37 PM

A "fapa" file is a Finder Application Alias.

When you create an alias in the Finder, it uses a different file type for aliases to applications than aliases to any other kind of file. I believe, though I am not certain, it does this to tell the Finder that double-clicking on the alias should launch the application and not open a folder. (Mac applications are actually folders; inside the folder is the executable code itself, any libraries the application uses, and resources such as sound files or graphics, among other things. A simple alias pointing to an application would actually open the folder.)

A Unix symbolic link to a Mac application would likely do the same thing: simply open the folder. The Unix underpinnings of OS X do not recognize that applications are really folders.

The mystery to me is why this alias (that's what it is; it isn't really a symlink) is so large.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #42127 10/12/16 12:58 AM
OP Online

Thanks, tacit.

Your answer makes perfect sense, but isn't it contradicted by the details in screen shots 1 and 2?

Something's clearly wacky!

(The size difference in the 3 actual symbolic links (27 & 28 v -0-) is at the root of my exchange with Devon tech support as is the fact that if I delete the items to which the links point their size as displayed by EasyFind changes from -0- to 27/8; the present question is tangential.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #42129 10/12/16 01:59 AM

The screen shots are quite bizarre. I have absolutely no idea why the No Sleep alias/symlink would be so monumentally huge. That's quite odd, no question.

I don't have an answer, but I certainly admire the question!

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #42130 10/12/16 02:05 AM
OP Online

I appreciate your input! smile grin

I'll update this thread if I get any new info from Devon.

artie505 #42131 10/12/16 08:00 AM
OP Online

The latest from Devon: "I'll investigate this as soon as EasyFind will get some attention again (not in the near future, I'm afraid)."

tacit #42263 10/24/16 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: tacit
The mystery to me is why this alias (that's what it is; it isn't really a symlink) is so large.

Yeah, huge aliases are annoying. I remember being severely confused for a short while when replacing photos with aliases to the photos, in an effort to save space on something. The folder got bigger.... The aliases were bigger than the photos!

Open them with a resource editor. Aliases can have icons. And do, by default. And icons keep getting bigger...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard