for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: any issues with Safari 10?
dkmarsh #41895 09/23/16 12:49 AM

My dinner (very nice, thank you) intervened to delay my response. I’m glad to be wrong here, as that is the best outcome. Probably because of the visual similarity, I took the checkbox in front of the extensions to mean that the extension would be updated automatically from the gallery. A simple test would have shown me otherwise, but there you have it. Thanks, Dave, for putting me right! laugh

alternaut moderator
Douglas #41896 09/23/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Douglas
OK, artie505, I hope I did this correctly. That site is very confusing.

FreeImageHosting.net

You got it right, Douglas, and I've got no idea what's up.

I don't get the boxes when I search for Apple either with or without oldschoogle.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #41897 09/23/16 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I just installed Safari 10, and I'm not really sure if the font size has gotten smaller or not, but it seems like I'm now seeing a brighter screen (Is it possible?), and if the font size is smaller it's unnoticeable to me.

I poked around a bit to see if Apple has moved the font size pref, and I didn't find it.

I now see that Safari's default font size has gotten smaller; the FTM Forums page takes up less space on my screen.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #41906 09/23/16 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Originally Posted By: Douglas
One thing I have noticed in Safari 10 is the text on websites is smaller and there does not seem to be a preference, as in the old days, to set the minimum font size.
You can send feedback to Apple here. I just submitted a comment, to the effect that I won't be upgrading to Safari 10 until this is fixed.

There is no setting for minimum font size in Safari 10 or Safari Technology Preview. However "Zoom" is an alternative that is some ways superior. When you zoom a page to a comfortable size for reading using View ➭ Zoom In, ⌘+, or icon on a customized tool bar the zoomed view persists at least for that site even if opened in different tabs or windows. The advantage of zoom as opposed to minimum font size is everything on the site is zoomed appropriately and no matter how the site is coded there will not be any text cut off or overlapping an adjoining field.

Personally I would prefer the ability to set a default zoom to a minimum font size.

You can set default font size with the following (thanks to MacInTouch):
defaults write com.apple.Safari com.apple.Safari.ContentPageGroupIdentifier.WebKit2MinimumFontSize -int X

Replace X with the size you want, 9 to 36? You might check the current font size (by comparing to known) before you change so you can revert back if desired.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #41909 09/23/16 07:36 PM

Thanks a million, Ira; that worked a treat! cool

(Default was originally 12, but I think it's 9 in Safari 10.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/23/16 07:55 PM. Reason: More

dkmarsh #41912 09/24/16 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
From Safari keyboard and other shortcuts:

Reopen the last tab or window you closed........................Shift-Command-T

As you say, but the top two images are what I was seeing when I posted and what I'm seeing now; I saw the bottom image immediately after I reinstalled Safari 10, but I'm now back to command-T.

I've checked my 3rd party hot keys, and I'm not using command-shift-T, and under any circumstances, even if I've usurped it I wouldn't expect an incorrect command to take its place.

artie505 #41917 09/24/16 10:34 AM

I note your top screenshot shows Reopen Last Closed Window as Control-Shift-S, too, which certainly suggests something is amiss with your setup. I don't think it's on Apple's end, as that command, when relevant, shows up in the History menu for me as Shift-Command-T, as expected.

It might be worth disabling your third-party stuff if possible, or booting into Safe Mode, to see if there's some kind of conflict going on. (It's not too hard to imagine that something's different in Safari 10 which doesn't play nice with previously compatible software.)

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
artie505 #41919 09/24/16 12:13 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Artie,

Even though you started a new thread about the Combo Updater, I'm posting this question in this thread because it's relevant.

Why do you want to revert to Safari 9? What issues are you having with Safari 10?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
dkmarsh #41937 09/25/16 08:45 AM

I note your top screenshot shows Reopen Last Closed Window as Control-Shift-S, too, which certainly suggests something is amiss with your setup. I don't think it's on Apple's end, as that command, when relevant, shows up in the History menu for me as Shift-Command-T, as expected.

It might be worth disabling your third-party stuff if possible, or booting into Safe Mode, to see if there's some kind of conflict going on. (It's not too hard to imagine that something's different in Safari 10 which doesn't play nice with previously compatible software.)

OK, I've now got more of a handle on what's going on...
  • Sometimes Safari 10 launches to History > Reopen Last Closed Window > Control-Shift-S, and sometimes to Reopen Last Closed Tab > Shift-Command-T. (I haven't been able to pin down what governs that.)
  • In that state, the displayed command works more or less (*) as expected, and Command-T opens new, empty tabs as expected.
  • As long as I stick to opening and closing windows that state persists.
  • Once I open and close a tab, the command changes to Reopen Last Closed Tab > Command-T (*), and in that state, Command-T works as described, not as expected.
  • If I then open and close a window, the command reverts to Reopen Last Closed Window > Control-Shift-S, and Command-T again works expected.
  • Once Reopen Last Closed Tab > Shift-Command-T disappears I never see it again, no matter what I do.
(*) When hit repeatedly, whichever command is in play successively reopens both previously closed windows and tabs, BUT what's opened isn't limited to current history, rather windows and tabs that had been opened in a previous Safari session whose history had been erased when I quit Safari are also reopened, which strikes me as a security breach, perhaps even a critical one...new in v 10.

I've now tried disabling my extensions, booting into Safe Mode, (even) repairing permissions, and d/l'ing a new Safari 10 updater (in a different volume), all with no joy.

I've booted into a clone running Safari 9, and found that Reopen Last Closed Window > Control-Shift-S is the default command, and, without going into details, it works coherently and as expected.

Control-Shift-S is not listed as a command for any Safari function in either v 9 or v 10, and Command-T shouldn't have anything to do with reopening previously closed tabs, so I've got two spurious commands (one going back to v9), and that's with no conflicts between my third party hot keys and any of the Safari commands I've mentioned.

Since, as I explained here, I can't rerun the 10.11.6 Combo to revert to Safari 9 I'm stuck with this situation unless I do a clean install or upgrade to Sierra (which may not even help).

Any and all thoughts, suggestions, and wild guesses happily entertained.

artie505 #41938 09/25/16 09:38 AM
cyn Online
Administrator
Administrator

Going back a few days:

Hmmm... I just noticed this: under "File", command-T is "New Tab", and under "History" it's "Reopen Last Closed Tab" (which command-Z used to do).

Can't help with your Safari troubles but in case you're not aware, command-z is Undo.

PS: Pendragon, I moved your post to a separate thread in the Mac OS X Applications forum: SuperDuper slows computer in Sierra

FineTunedMac Forums Admin
cyn #41940 09/25/16 11:07 AM

Hmmm... I just noticed this: under "File", command-T is "New Tab", and under "History" it's "Reopen Last Closed Tab" (which command-Z used to do).

Originally Posted By: cyn
Can't help with your Safari troubles but in case you're not aware, command-z is Undo.

My mistake in saying "used to do"; it still does.

Command-Z, "Undo Close Tab", is the command I've used for that purpose since time immemorial; as far as I can see it serves the same purpose that the command under History serves when/if it works correctly, and it's easier to reach on my keyboard. And to be perfectly honest, I forgot all about the keyboard command to reopen a closed window a looong time ago and do it - in a very cumbersome manner - from MenuPop > History.

Last edited by artie505; 09/26/16 08:08 AM. Reason: Correction and more

artie505 #41976 09/26/16 04:23 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I just installed Safari 10 on my clone and saw no difference is font size.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #41980 09/26/16 05:26 PM

Quote:
Command-Z, "Undo Close Tab"...

To be accurate, command-Z is "Undo [the last undoable action, if any, in the present context of the active application]." For example, right now, the top command in my Safari Edit menu is Undo Typing. Once I submit the post, the menu will once again show Undo Close Tab.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
jchuzi #41982 09/26/16 06:13 PM

I think the font issue is that some people had custom font sizes set in Safari. Previously this could be done with a setting for minimum font size. Apparently this preference is gone in Safari 10, hence my post with a Terminal command to set a font size.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
dkmarsh #41990 09/26/16 08:57 PM

Quote:
Command-Z, "Undo Close Tab"...

To be accurate, command-Z is "Undo [the last undoable action, if any, in the present context of the active application]." For example, right now, the top command in my Safari Edit menu is Undo Typing. Once I submit the post, the menu will once again show Undo Close Tab.

That's the technically correct, out of context answer, which is why I said "Command-Z, "Undo Close Tab", is the command I've used for that purpose...."

Last edited by artie505; 09/26/16 09:04 PM. Reason: Add quote

Ira L #41992 09/26/16 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

I think the font issue is that some people had custom font sizes set in Safari. Previously this could be done with a setting for minimum font size. Apparently this preference is gone in Safari 10, hence my post with a Terminal command to set a font size.

I wasn't certain about the changed font size until I realized that the FTM Forums list was taking up less space on my screen. I don't know what Apple did, but the smaller sized font is remarkably clear.

I've always stuck with Apple's default 12pt, and, as I said, it looks like 9pt in Safari 10.

artie505 #41994 09/26/16 11:29 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I wasn't certain about the changed font size until I realized that the FTM Forums list was taking up less space on my screen. I don't know what Apple did, but the smaller sized font is remarkably clear.
I see the same thing. I hadn't realized it until you mentioned it. Maybe this is where the retina display comes into its own...

Jon

jchuzi #41995 09/26/16 11:38 PM

I see the same thing. I hadn't realized it until you mentioned it. Maybe this is where the retina display comes into its own...

I'm not certain.

I changed Safari 9's font size from 12pt to 9pt more than once on my Retina Mac, and I don't remember it being as clear as it is in Safari 10.

Edit: Just booted into a clone running Safari 9, and 9pt is just as clear as in Safari 10.

Last edited by artie505; 09/27/16 07:16 AM. Reason: Less & more

artie505 #42102 10/08/16 10:13 PM

New Safari 10 issue: I'm now finding that Prefs > Passwords is wonky.

It's lost my "Never save" entries multiple times and will reveal passwords and enter info only from those entries that are new in Safari 10; I've now had to re-enter my previously saved info at every pre-existing website I've visited.

(As I noted in another thread, I just did a clean install and totally forgot to not update Safari to v 10 ( frown ), but none of my problems has annoyed me enough to induce me to do it again...yet.)

Last edited by artie505; 10/09/16 12:34 AM. Reason: Correction

jchuzi #42254 10/24/16 02:32 PM

"sub-pixel kerning". Available only on an Apple display. (retina or otherwise, retina of course being better)

You'll notice things get blockier when viewing fine text on a non-apple display of the same resolution.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #42292 10/25/16 12:22 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Safari 10.0.1, now available, restores the option to specify a minimum font size.

Jon

jchuzi #42304 10/25/16 08:30 PM

Safari 10.0.1, now available, restores the option to specify a minimum font size.

And in the same location, too. Wow!

You've gotta wonder if its being removed was actually deliberate?

artie505 #42474 11/02/16 06:42 PM

YIKES! Seems like a relatively-simple concept like browser FONT preference has become unnecessarily complicated.

I left Safari a couple of years ago when all I wanted to do was have newly-added BOOKMARKS automatically list in alphabetical order when added to a specific bookmark's folder. Instead, after adding, I would have to drag it to its alphabetical position within the folder. Small potato, yes. But a nuisance.

I contacted APPLE (like suggested above) about how to set this in Preferences. Never heard back from Apple. Or install an ADD-ON or PLUG-IN? At the time, no such beast existed, so I have not returned to Safari (went to Opera and now am using Chrome).

Just wondering Safari Users : Does a newly-added bookmark now automatically sort alphabetically into the folder to which it is assigned?

P.S. Chrome has a Preference Option to customize its web browser fonts to whatever one prefers (i.e. choice of font, colour, size, etc.) as well as the ZOOM option. Simply.

Many thanks,
MG2009
jchuzi #42482 11/03/16 05:20 AM

I have been using Safari 10 for a while now, and I've experienced a couple of computer-shattering crashes that are so severe, the normal kernel panic routine can't even run.

For photos (not a screen shot, the computer was too far gone by then to take a screen shot) of what I mean, see

https://twitter.com/franklinveaux/status/793968909795803136

and

https://twitter.com/franklinveaux/status/793969284892344320

Basically, Safari is generally quite fast and an excellent browser, but when it crashes, it rides that train to the last station.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
jchuzi #42624 11/08/16 03:02 PM

FYI, sometimes when a new version of software rolls out, something they changed (usually something big and integral to the new version) BREAKS an existing feature. Rather than delaying the release of the new version until they can properly fix the bug, they'll disable the feature that got broken while they work on a good fix for it. Soon thereafter you'll see the feature reappear. It wasn't removed, just "closed for service".

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard