FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
What filter lists to use with Ad Block Plus
#40723 05/26/16 07:59 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

This is something I've read about a lot, and commented on at various places on the web, but I'm still unsure that I've got the right answer. Yes, I have read the docs on the Ad Block web site.

What filters come with Ad Block Plus? What filters are automatically enabled? Which filters conflict with each other? Which or how many filters slow down Firefox? Which are redundant or counterproductive? What is your daily use like?

For my part, I'm always looking for a speedier browser.

I don't know which filters come enabled with my Ad Block Plus, but here are my choices when I open the prefs:

1) AdBlock Warning Removal List (why is this unchecked?)
2) EasyList
3) Malware Domains
4) Fanboy's Social Blocking List
5) EasyPrivacy

AND--How about this?
Just this second, I noticed that on the right side of the Filter Preferences window, there's a thin, blue, vertical, dotted line with flippy triangles on top and bottom. Heh, I never noticed that before, let alone used it.

This would be the wrong place for me to complain about the trend toward "hidden" interface items, thin gray text, and so on.

Re: What filter lists to use with Ad Block Plus
deniro #40725 05/26/16 09:44 PM

I've just let Adblock Plus do the choosing ... ie, default settings. I've been more than satisfied. For me, nothing gets through — I get zero ads.

If you've got other issues, then plug them in.

grelber #40730 05/27/16 04:21 PM
deniro Offline OP
OP Offline

When you (anyone) install Ad Block Plus from the Firefox Add-on page, you are redirected to its web site, where, if you scroll down the page, you are given three options about filters you can turn on. If enabled, that gives you a total of five default filters, four of them enabled.

Interestingly, the one that isn't automatically enabled is called "Ad Block Warning Removal List." I don't know why or what it does.

I suspect that one or two of these enabled filters is redundant and may slow down the browser.

deniro #40731 05/27/16 07:01 PM

I'm running Adblock Plus 2.7.3 on Firefox 41.0.2 with Mac OS X Lion (10.7.5).

Your experience is very strange.

I've never been (re)directed to ABP's website; in fact, I'd actively have to go to it (at adblockplus.org).

As for filters, I have "EasyList" and "Adblock Warning Removal" subscriptions and 2 custom filters, "Exception Rules" and "Ad Blocking Rules", the content of which I haven't a clue (and have no way of accessing as far as I can tell). The status indicator advises that there are 5 custom filters in use, even though they aren't all listed on the preferences page.

Who knows? But I don't think the number of filters in any way slows down the browser. And I don't get any ads anywhere.

FYI: On this page ABP has blocked 0 out of 97 items and on the Edit Post page 0 out of 249 items. And everything loads lickety-split.

deniro #40732 05/27/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: deniro
When you (anyone) install Ad Block Plus from the Firefox Add-on page, you are redirected to its web site, where, if you scroll down the page, you are given three options about filters you can turn on. If enabled, that gives you a total of five default filters, four of them enabled.

Interestingly, the one that isn't automatically enabled is called "Ad Block Warning Removal List." I don't know why or what it does.

I suspect that one or two of these enabled filters is redundant and may slow down the browser.

Are you actually taken to a web site, or are you confusing a preference pane in a new Safari window for a web site?

From the AdBlock Safari extension:

Quote:
Adblock Warning Removal list (removes warnings about using ad blockers)

I've never done a with/without comparison, but the occasional, minuscule slowdown I notice with the Safari extension isn't bothersome enough to make me to change anything I'm doing. (My filters)

Last edited by artie505; 05/28/16 02:01 AM. Reason: More & Better

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40735 05/29/16 10:04 PM
Banned
Banned

I use Ghostery with Google Chrome, and it does a very good job (along with Chrome being fast). Here is a link to it:

https://www.ghostery.com/our-solutions/ghostery-browser-extension/

deniro #40737 05/30/16 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: deniro

I've given that some thought, and I don't doubt for a second that there's some overlapping of filter functionality, but I do doubt that there's any 100% duplication going on.

But if you're really worried about browser slowdowns, why don't you just do an on/off test and see what there is to see, and if there's nothing perceptible, don't worry that there may be something imperceptible.

Remember that running blockers must cost you something in speed, so you've got to decide if you prefer avoiding slowdowns or maximum blocking, and I'll guess that searching for an "ideal" middle road will cost you more time than you'll gain from finding one.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: What filter lists to use with AdBlock Plus
grelber #41794 09/19/16 08:05 AM

Despite the following article I've never seen an ad.

Adblock Plus, Created to Protect Users From Ads, Instead Opens the Door

grelber #41795 09/19/16 08:42 AM

I'm pretty sure I once read that Adblock Plus has a pref that allows you to block even acceptable ads.

Have you perhaps opted for it?

artie505 #41796 09/19/16 09:03 AM

There's an option to allow "non-intrusive advertising" under filter preferences (exception rules) which was enabled by default — so I disabled it. This of course raises the question as to why such did not appear. (I don't really care why not as long as I don't see it. Just curious.)

What's even more interesting (if not demonstrating the developer's chutzpah), especially in light of the article cited, is the following request:
"The developer of this add-on asks that you help support its continued development by making a small contribution. Suggested contribution: $5.00"

Good golly, Miss Molly!

grelber #41797 09/19/16 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
There's supposedly an option to allow "non-intrusive advertising" under filter preferences, but I sure can't find it.

What's even more interesting (if not demonstrating the developer's chutzpah), especially in light of the article cited, is the following request:
"The developer of this add-on asks that you help support its continued development by making a small contribution. Suggested contribution: $5.00"

Good golly, Miss Molly!

I guess I mis-remembered the exact nature of the option...got it backwards, but if you haven't "allowed", I suppose that's why you don't see ads.

I wouldn't call it chutzpah, though, because the ads are user option, and with or without them, the add-on still serves a useful purpose.

(Actually, taking money from people to allow their ads to be opted out of is pretty good business.)

Last edited by artie505; 09/19/16 09:27 AM. Reason: Reflect grelber's edit

artie505 #41798 09/19/16 09:16 AM

Rats! I edited my previous comments just as you posted yours. Sorry crazy , and please check out same.

grelber #41799 09/19/16 09:29 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
There's an option to allow "non-intrusive advertising" under filter preferences (exception rules) which was enabled by default — so I disabled it. This of course raises the question as to why such did not appear. (I don't really care why not as long as I don't see it. Just curious.)

Yeah, that's what I remember reading about the option.

I'll guess that you never saw any ads simply because your browsing habits never took you to appropriate websites.

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard