for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Screen issues on iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz
#4117 09/21/09 09:33 AM
OP Offline

This issue might have been going on for some time, and I might have gotten used to it, but previous Saturday I was correcting some photos in Photoshop, while my eldest son was watching, and he remarked that I should have to do something about my screen.
What's the matter? Well, there are 6-7 darker (greyish-brownish) horizontal bands across the screen, not very well visible if there's a lot of colour, but more apparent on a white background.
The iMac is 1.5 years old, and I took the Applecare Protection Plan shortly before the iMac turned 1 year old, so it is covered until way into 2011.
But is this phenomenon well-known? Does anyone know how it is fixed? If it can be fixed, that is... confused
Thanks in advance.

There's no way out of here,
When you're in here, you're here for good (David Gilmour)
Re: Screen issues on iMac 24-inch 2.8GHz
pingopuck #4125 09/21/09 01:09 PM

I haven't noticed your specific problem. Mine is different. My iMac 24" (early 2009), is shut down over the weekend. When I start it up on Monday mornings, I often notice a brownish haze, a few centimeters in diameter, behind the glass on the lower right side. I'm assuming that the haze is moisture as it slowly gets smaller and disappears as the unit warms up. Does anyone else notice this? Do you think it might be a potential problem?
Rob

pingopuck #4134 09/21/09 05:08 PM

can you get us a picture? obviously screenshots are not useful here.

Try to find the best background to use, and various horizontal and vertical angles of view and monitor tilt/pan until you find the most noticeable arrangement. Try all the "solid colors" desktop backgrounds.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #4150 09/21/09 08:51 PM
OP Offline

Hey, Virtual1, that might be a way to start! Any idea how I could get an entirely white screen? I could try with a Google screen, but then there's in fact still too much distracting elements visible...

pingopuck #4151 09/21/09 09:15 PM
OP Offline

Forget my last question. Just made a "white" page in Word, got rid of all the floating palets and made a couple of shots. I wonder, though whether it's really visible. The first pic is sharp enough, by selecting, besides the white screen also a bit underneath the screen. The second is not sharp at all, because I tried to include the whole screen. Both done with my "humble" G9. If not good enough, I will try to repeat tomorrow with my dSLR.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/LesC_photos/Screenshots/IMG_1592.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/LesC_photos/Screenshots/IMG_1593.jpg

pingopuck #4157 09/21/09 10:51 PM

FWIW, "Solid White" is one of the options in the Solid Colors category of the default collection of Desktop Pictures provided by Apple in OS X 10.5. (This option was also available in 10.4—though somewhat hidden).

Don't know about 10.6.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
pingopuck #4164 09/22/09 01:16 AM

To my eye, the pattern of light and dark horizontal lines in your image resembles what I've sometimes seen on flat-screen monitors when the florescent backlight starts to go bad.

It also resembles a pattern I saw on a client's machine once when it was plugged in near a large florescent light fixture with a malfunctioning ballast; moving the display away from that light fixture onto a different desk fixed the problem.

I'd suggest moving the computer to a different pace and plugging it in to a different outlet. If that doesn't help, it may be a problem with the screen backlight, which generally means an expensive hardware fix, I'm sorry to say.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #4175 09/22/09 06:40 AM
OP Offline

Thanks for the tip, DK, and thanks for your explanation, Tacit. Luckily, the iMac is still covered by APP, so I will probably take it to the shop, if moving to a different location and using a different plug doesn't help. I wouldn't like to move it definitively, though, as it is now standing on a beautiful (fixed) desktop in my office, as you can see in the following pic. Note to the right (part of) the iMac G4 which was being replaced at that time by this monster.

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj46/LesC_photos/2iMacs.jpg

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard