My sent emails go to my inbox.
#41642 09/04/16 01:38 AM
RHV Offline OP
OP Offline

How to stop that? Yosie 10.5.5

Re: My sent emails go to my inbox.
RHV #41643 09/04/16 01:53 AM

I assume you mean 10.10.5.

Under Mail > Mailbox you should see an option to "Rebuild". Clicking on it maaay correct your problem.

Edit: Forgot to say to select a mailbox in your sidebar before hitting "Rebuild".

Last edited by artie505; 09/04/16 02:54 PM.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
RHV #41645 09/04/16 08:51 PM

Mail âž­ Preferences âž­ Accounts âž­ Mailbox Behaviors âž­ Sent Mailbox and select the mailbox you want to use for sent mail from the drop down menu.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41646 09/04/16 09:43 PM

El Cap/Mail 9.3 (3124), and I don't see a drop-down that offers a selection of mailboxes at the end of your path.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #41647 09/05/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505
El Cap/Mail 9.3 (3124), and I don't see a drop-down that offers a selection of mailboxes at the end of your path.

blush It shows up in Mail 10 in MacOS 12. I have become so accustomed to it that I didn't think to check it out in OS X. blush

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41648 09/05/16 03:14 PM

When all else fails, I can often find a hidden or unpublished/unpublicized preference setting in MacPilot that will do the trick so I looked in MacPilot on a system running El Capitan and there was no preference listed to change the mailbox used to store sent messages — or to change an other target mailbox for that matter. 👹Never the less, it will show up in Mail 10 when you upgrade to Sierra in a few weeks.

In the meantime, if Artie's suggestion of rebuilding the mailboxes does not work — remember each mailbox must be rebuilt individually — and If this is an .iCloud, .me, .mac or any other Apple account...
  1. Log onto the iCloud web interface
  2. Open Mail
  3. Click on the âš™ (gear) icon at the bottom left of the Mail window and select Preferences from the dropdown menu
  4. Click on "General" at the top of the Mail Preferences window
  5. In the row labeled "Mailboxes" ✔ the checkbox labeled "Save sent messages in" and select the desired mailbox from the list of mailboxes in the drop down menu to the right of that.
  6. click on Done at the bottom right of the iCloud Mail Preferences window
  7. Back on the Mac on the Mail menu bar select Mailboxes âž­ Synchronize All Accounts
This should work because it is independent of the operating system version on the Mac — and yes I just verified that the setting is there and works whether you are running El Capitan or Sierra. (I try not to make the same mistake twice, I make enough on the first time around.)

There may be similar preference settings for other email providers but there are too many for me to attempt to go into here.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41742 09/15/16 05:50 PM

Yet another solution to this problem — Airmail 3. Airmail 3 is a highly configurable email client and offers the opportunity to specify what Mailbox is mapped as the Inbox, Starred, Important, Drafts, Spam, Trash, All Mail, Archive, Sent, To Do, Memo, Done, and Snooze. And if you have multiple accounts the settings are unique for each account.

"What is the Snooze mailbox?", I asked when I saw it. Snooze is a feature where messages can be tagged manually or even by a rule to "snooze" until Later Today, Tomorrow, This Evening, This Weekend, or Next Week and it will go to the Snooze mailbox only to pop back up at whatever time was specified for each of the Snoozes.

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard