for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 18 of 40 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
grelber #41472 08/15/16 09:17 AM

I just listened to a portion of a discussion — part of CBC Radio One's overnight international programming — dealing with Lionel Shriver's “The Mandibles: A Family, 2029-2047”, a financial dystopia novel.
One of the participants opined that DJT would never work (be credible) as a character on the fictional page because he is too "broad".

artie505 #41482 08/15/16 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
….Trump's extraordinary concession that he may actually lose the election, its language in particular, had already gotten me wondering if he's scared of the Presidency and is (perhaps subconsciously) not actively trying to win the election...using "just continuing to be myself" as an excuse for (perhaps also subconsciously) actively trying to lose it.

That thought certainly crossed my mind. In fact, I recall thinking (when the whole thing started) that he would only stay in the race long enough to enhance his image a bit, and then he'd drop out.

However it would seem his ego got the best of him and, instead of dropping out, he thought "Hey, maybe I could do this". So he stayed in and now that everything is blowing up in his face, he wants out again.

And too, someone probably reminded him that a big part of the President's job is caring about and for others. At that point his anathema alarm started ringing and he got panicky.

Last edited by ryck; 08/15/16 11:43 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41488 08/16/16 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: ryck
...I recall thinking (when the whole thing started) that he would only stay in the race long enough to enhance his image a bit, and then he'd drop out.

However it would seem his ego got the best of him and, instead of dropping out, he thought "Hey, maybe I could do this". So he stayed in and now that everything is blowing up in his face, he wants out again.

Rove picked up on Trump's fear early on, which suggests that he may never have thought that he could do the job, so I'll suggest that he's stayed in the race to get the most bang out of the $50 million of his own dollars he invested promoting his brand in the primaries.

He loves publicity...even if it's bad, and in that respect, he's certainly promoting(?) himself and his brand big time now, and with other people's money now, to boot, and in doing so, he's extricating himself from the sticky position of possibly having to be President of the United States.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #41489 08/16/16 01:23 AM

He loves publicity...even if it's bad…

I gotta admit he sure is getting plenty of the bad stuff. Today's polls suggest he likely can't even carry New York State. Har har har.

....and in that respect, he's certainly promoting(?) himself and his brand big time now, and with other people's money now, to boot.

My question would be: "What's the benefit of the promotion?". It doesn't matter that he has thousands of lunatics cheering him on. Let's face it - What can they do for him once it's over?

And the people who could be of benefit to him (the people who own or run businesses) must be wondering if they want to make deals with someone so close to lunacy.

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41491 08/16/16 06:25 AM

....and in that respect, he's certainly promoting(?) himself and his brand big time now, and with other people's money now, to boot.

My question would be: "What's the benefit of the promotion?". It doesn't matter that he has thousands of lunatics cheering him on. Let's face it - What can they do for him once it's over?

And the people who could be of benefit to him (the people who own or run businesses) must be wondering if they want to make deals with someone so close to lunacy.

I don't imagine for a second that his supporters are the constituency he's addressing, because, as you suggest, they'll do nothing for him after the election other than make noise, and I doubt that he's got degrading his brand down to their level in mind.

I assume that he's trying to buy worldwide brand/name recognition on the theory, which may very well be a good one, that his antics will eventually be forgotten while his name will live on...that down the road, people won't allow their current distaste for him to interfere with their taste for the luxury and finer things in life that his brand purports to offer, and if there are bottom-line buyers, there'll be middle-men (all of whom will, of course, overlook his history of rampant screwing of middle-men) lined up around the block to pander to him and cater to them.

He loves publicity...even if it's bad…

I gotta admit he sure is getting plenty of the bad stuff. Today's polls suggest he likely can't even carry New York State. Har har har.

I've never doubted that he'd lose New York; have I been living in a dream world?

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #41494 08/17/16 04:00 PM

I've never doubted that he'd lose New York; have I been living in a dream world?

No…but sometimes it's good to get another laugh out of this. However I'm sure there were times, as the Trump spectacle rolled out, when you asked yourself: "Am I just having a bad dream?"

Here's a St. Louis writer with an interesting view on Trump's so-called foreign policy speech.

Last edited by ryck; 08/17/16 04:01 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41497 08/17/16 06:47 PM

From your linked article...

Meanwhile, daughter Ivanka Trump was spotted on vacation with Wendy Deng, rumoured to be the girlfriend of Russian President Vladimir Putin.

Edit: Considering the current close scrutiny of Trump's relationship with Putin, that's a strange choice of friends for his daughter.

Last edited by artie505; 08/18/16 09:17 AM.

artie505 #41515 08/18/16 02:18 PM

And, thanks to my newly-developed skill, these from the same article….

According to Mr. Trump’s speech, the great enemy of the U.S. is “immigrants or the children of immigrants,” whom he claims are “the common thread linking the major Islamic terrorist attacks that have recently occurred on our soil.”

This is a remarkable claim for a candidate who is both the son, husband and ex-husband of immigrants.

Mr. Trump presents the U.S. as a nation under attack far more from within than from the outside. This is true, but not in the way he intended. A lying, bigoted zealot with executive power poses a far greater threat to U.S. stability than any Muslim who comes to the U.S. in search of a better life.

Last edited by ryck; 08/18/16 02:20 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #41516 08/18/16 02:27 PM

This morning's news is filled with Trump bemoaning the fact that Hillary Clinton takes weekends off. Is he just worried that beating him isn't a seven-day-a-week job, or is he forgetting that he took time off to open a new Trump Golf Course?

Oh ya…about that golf course, built by a guy who wants people to believe he's some sort of great business brain. By any metric you wish to use - number of golfers, TV ratings, golf course closures, equipment sales - golf is clearly headed down the porcelain facility.

However, "business brain" Trump thinks that's the ideal time to build a new course.

If I didn't think he was so dangerous, I'd say he's a million laughs.

Last edited by ryck; 08/18/16 02:31 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41517 08/18/16 03:31 PM

If I didn't think he was so dangerous, I'd say he's a million laughs.

That's exactly what Trevor Noah opined and demonstrated last week on The Daily Show — that Señor Hitler demonstrates all the hallmarks of a standup comedian — and he (TN) should know because he is one.

Señor Hitler could also be simply a perverted mugwump ... I do love that word!

Has anybody thought of resolving the problem with some ineptly prepared fugu? In addition to which the results would make for great YouTube video. Yum. tongue

Last edited by grelber; 08/18/16 05:45 PM. Reason: A couple additions
ryck #41518 08/18/16 03:38 PM

On the other hand, though, he may not have invested a penny in that golf course; he may have merely sold his name to the project, maybe retained an interest in profits, and won't lose a penny if it fails.

What is most disturbing in Trump’s sworn statements is the amount of nonsense he spouts as he mangles the English language into meanings no rational person could accept. An unsuccessful “development by Donald Trump” is not a “development by Donald Trump.” A successful project built by another developer who paid to have Trump’s name on the building is a “Donald Trump development.”

Last edited by artie505; 08/18/16 04:31 PM. Reason: Add link and quote

artie505 #41519 08/18/16 07:10 PM

Whatever Trump deems a "Donald Trump development", the Scottish golf course stands as a testament to his "business acumen" and perhaps even his veracity.

Trump has also reported to Scottish authorities that he lost millions of dollars on the project — even as he claims on U.S. presidential disclosure forms that the course has been highly profitable.

Trump’s original plan: a sprawling resort in the ancestral home of golf with two courses, a 450-room luxury hotel and spa, a conference center, employee housing, a turf-grass research center and a holiday community with hundreds of villas, condos and homes. The project would pump millions of dollars into the local economy and create 6,000 jobs — maybe even 7,000 jobs, Trump said at one news conference. Tourists would travel here from around the world, he promised, along with well-known celebrities such as Scottish actor Sean Connery.

Today, the Trump International Golf Links near Aberdeen employs 150 people and consists of one golf course that meanders through the sand dunes, a clubhouse with a restaurant and 19 rooms for rent in a renovated mansion and former carriage house. There is also a maintenance facility and a road running through the property. Lonely and desolate, the resort has attracted no major tournaments, and neighbors say the parking lot is rarely, if ever, full.

And, of course, in order to realize this "accomplishment" Trump had to make sure he bullied a little guy, a Scottish farmer.

Last edited by ryck; 08/18/16 08:07 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41520 08/18/16 08:20 PM

And there's Scottish residents frustrated with Trump construction on countryside.

(The Wikipedia article about the holdout farmer could use some updating.)

Edit: Was there ever any doubt about Trump's "veracity"? (See my most recent previous link.)

Last edited by artie505; 08/18/16 08:58 PM.

artie505 #41521 08/18/16 10:19 PM

Yup…. more bullying and more dishonesty. One could argue that the primaries and campaign have done some good by exposing this guy for what he really is.

Edit: Was there ever any doubt about Trump's "veracity"? (See my most recent previous link.)

No, I don't think so. But perhaps it's good to keep driving the point home.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #41527 08/21/16 09:38 AM

How Can America Recover From Donald Trump?

Good question, as well as an editorial in The New York Times today.

grelber #41528 08/21/16 01:51 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

Trump has claimed that he has a personal rapport with Vladimir Putin. Fortunately, that is not literally true, but his high regard for him is VERY dangerous. More of Kremlin’s Opponents Are Ending Up Dead. Trump has already said implied that Clinton should be assassinated.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #41531 08/22/16 01:25 AM

Was there ever any doubt about Trump's "veracity"?

And neither was there any doubt that he's brainless jackass with absolutely no knowledge of history.

This rambling lunacy, in which he claims Canada once belonged to the U.S., proves he doesn't even know American history. He believes Canada was owned by the U.S. "…over 1,000 years ago….or something like that" - roughly 500 years before Columbus landed.

Edit: Per dkmarsh's following post, disregard all of the above. The one time I was in too much of a hurry to do the Snopes. My bad, apologies all around.

Last edited by ryck; 08/22/16 09:23 AM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41532 08/22/16 02:11 AM

Oh, c'mon. Trump's genuine utterances are plenty idiotic. Why confuse the issue by conflating them with made-up ones?

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #41535 08/22/16 09:13 AM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Why confuse the issue by conflating them with made-up ones?

You're right….correction made.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41541 08/23/16 09:09 AM

Your Snopes reference has left me wondering if you're aware that the website to which you linked is similar to The Onion - America's Finest News Source.

There's a "Disclosure" button towards the lower right hand corner of the page that points to a statement that all political and sports (or some-such) articles are entirely made up.

artie505 #41548 08/23/16 06:54 PM

There's a "Disclosure" button towards the lower right hand corner of the page that points to a statement that all political and sports (or some-such) articles are entirely made up.

Missed that….thanks. As they say….too soon old, too late smart. Assisting in the sloppiness was the fact that I received the link from someone I assumed would have checked it out.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
dkmarsh #41555 08/24/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Trump's genuine utterances are plenty idiotic.

And, back on track, Trump proves the case with his pathetic "appeal" to African-American voters: "You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed. What the heck do you have to lose?"

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41556 08/24/16 01:48 PM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

And, he was addressing a white audience.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #41557 08/24/16 02:55 PM

You're right….pertinent point or, in other words, Donald doubles down on dumb.

Last edited by ryck; 08/24/16 02:56 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #41558 08/24/16 04:26 PM

And, back on track, Trump proves the case with his pathetic "appeal" to African-American voters: "You’re living in poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs, 58% of your youth is unemployed. What the heck do you have to lose?"

His handlers edited the original last sentence by deleting the last 3 words: but your lives. tongue crazy

Page 18 of 40 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard