An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How to find and replace multiple files in finder?
#41493 08/16/16 04:05 PM
trahnor Offline OP
OP Offline

Dear all,

I am working on a MacPro 4,1 running OS X 10.11.6.
I have to replace an .EPS-file where the graphic content has been slightly changed. The name of the file has to stay the same, so the path in the projects won´t be broken (path for FrameMaker respectively). The file occurs more then 100 times in my projects, so I would like to avoid replacing files manually.
Is there a way to use Apples Automator for this? Or will any other application do this work?

Thank you in advance for any hint.

MacPro 4,1
Mac OS X 10.11.6
Re: How to find and replace multiple files in finder?
trahnor #41495 08/17/16 04:23 PM

This may be overly simplistic, or your folder structure may not allow it, but if I had a folder with 100 documents in it and I dragged onto that folder another 100 documents with names identical to the 100 inside, I would be asked if I wanted to replace the original 100. Done. Even if, because of folder structure, the replacements could be done a dozen or so at a time, that would not be too tedious.

Now if your 100 originals are scattered in (literally) 100 different places, then that would require 100 different drag and drops; not efficient. crazy

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
trahnor #41496 08/17/16 06:47 PM

I am not clear on what you are doing. Is that 100 different .EPS files or the same .EPS file in each of the 100 locations?

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41499 08/17/16 07:15 PM

As I read trahnor's post he's got the same .EPS file in 100 different locations.

I've done some searching, but although there are any number of text replacement apps I didn't see anything that related to file replacement.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #41511 08/18/16 05:01 AM
trahnor Offline OP
OP Offline

You´ve got the point, searching for and replacing text strings seems to be an easy and doable task.
But replacing files scattered all over different folders seems to be difficult.

The explanation why I have to do this?
I am a writer of technical documentations and manuals. Last week a client told me that the sign that we are using for Protection class II is non-conform and has to be exchanged. This sign occurs in bearly 75% of the manuals. When working in FrameMaker you´d better leave the files name as it is, otherwise you will have to relocate that file for FrameMaker-documents in your folder structure. That manuals come in 20 languages so the task multiplies pretty fast.
Thanks for your help!
PS: Nice avatar btw grin

MacPro 4,1
Mac OS X 10.11.6
trahnor #41513 08/18/16 06:17 AM

Your description of your problem left me guessing that it was something along those lines; that's a major pain in the butt project you're confronted with!

You mentioned Automator, and I didn't touch on it because my one attempt to use it left me thoroughly confounded, but somebody familiar with it may still be able to lend you a hand.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: trahnor
PS: Nice avatar btw grin

Thanks. smile

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
trahnor #41525 08/21/16 12:28 AM

I just did a differently worded search and came up with How Do I Use 'cp' to Overwrite Files?

Originally Posted By: man:cp
DESCRIPTION
In the first synopsis form, the cp utility copies the contents of the
source_file to the target_file. In the second synopsis form, the con-
tents of each named source_file is copied to the destination
target_directory. The names of the files themselves are not changed. If
cp detects an attempt to copy a file to itself, the copy will fail.

Sounds like a possibility, but you'll need a UNIX guy to kick in. Maybe V1 will see this.

trahnor #41534 08/22/16 08:04 AM

I wonder if a cloning app could use the new file on one volume as a source to overwrite all instances of the old file on a different volume?

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard