Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
strengthening an extended wireless network
#4123 09/21/09 12:02 PM
jepinto Offline OP
OP Offline

dlink dir-625 80 feet to belkin wireless g card equipped pc

80 feet is line of sight, BUT 1 wood wall, numerous trees bushes, etc. then another wood wall but covered in asbestos shingles.

Wireless card receives most of the time, but never better than 2 bars, and router config page shows at best 29% signal, lately dropping as low as 12%.

installed one of the antennae from the dlink onto the belkin wireless card, improved signal strength a bit.

Have tried setting up an access point with a dlink wireless access point, but whether it didn't work, or whether I did it incorrectly who knows? but it did not improve reception to the belkin card.

Is there an external antenna solution for the belkin card? Don't want to remove the last antenna from the router, as sometimes even I want to use wireless in the house, and the other antenna connection is filled by netgear patch panel antenna accompanying hardware, going up the street with signal.

The belkin card reception is not improved by the netgear external antenna but the imac up the street is. So methinks an external for the belkin is a possible solution.

You don't have to tell the neighbors
A little silence ain't no sin
They already think my name is
Where in the hell you been?
Re: strengthening an extended wireless network
jepinto #4127 09/21/09 02:15 PM

A Google search for wifi antenna turns up a lot of options. A few years ago I went through a similar exercise and after spending a lot of money on various antenna for the base station and hte computer, I ended up buying an Airport Express and using it to extend my network. That worked where all else failed.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard