Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cocktail artifact
#41193 07/19/16 02:32 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
...I had a "Cocktail" artifact in System Preferences/Notifications ...

I'm not completely clear about a Cocktail artifact... Please explain a bit.

Thanks.

Edit: Originally a reply to Pendragon in "OS 10.11.6 now available", this post and the follow-ups were detached and moved to a separate thread.

Last edited by cyn; 07/20/16 07:30 AM.

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
Re: Cocktail artifact
pbGuy #41194 07/19/16 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: pbGuy
Originally Posted By: Pendragon
...I had a "Cocktail" artifact in System Preferences/Notifications ...

I'm not completely clear about a Cocktail artifact... Please explain a bit.

Thanks.

The short version:

About 7 months ago, I noticed that I had two instances of Cocktail appearing in System Preferences/Notifications.

So I figured that if I uninstall Cocktail that would remove the copies from Notifications, and I could then reinstall Cocktail. But even after I uninstalled Cocktail via the developer’s instructions, one copy stubbornly remained. So I then used EasyFind to search, including invisibles, for all instances of Cocktail & Maintain (developer). Still no joy.

So how I can I have an item in Notifications when the app is not (even) on my computer? Weird, huh? On the plus side, no harm was being done, nor no known consequence.

When I asked the developer for help, he said it was known problem and he would get back to me (yeah, right). I even got some help from the developer community. Sadly, that too was a bust.

But time marches on and sadly, there are just some problems I can’t fix. Well, until 10.11.6. But why & how this fixed things, remains a mystery, at least to me. I’m just glad this issue is resolved.

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #41195 07/19/16 03:42 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've got 2 artifacts, as well, and even after 10.11.6 install.

I did a quick uninstall of Cocktail 9.3.2 (didn't check any of the boxes in the Uninstall menu) and reinstalled. ...No change in Sys Pref Notifications with the 2 Cocktail remaining. ...Is the upper or lower artifact reflecting the version of Cocktail that's installed?

What was the Cocktail, uninstall procedure (developer instructed) used, and I'll see if that resolves?

MacStudio M1max - 14.4.1, 64 GB Ram, 4TB SSD; Studio Display; iPhone 13mini; Watch 9; iPadPro (M2) 11" WiFi
pbGuy #41196 07/19/16 04:20 PM

I had a similar situation with an artifact, but it wasn't Cocktail. After several failed attempts to exorcise the ghost I had a flashback to an old sovereign remedy I had not had call to use in at least a couple of years, and rebuilt the Launch Services database. Problem solved and the ghost exorcised from the system.

Cocktail, OnyX, TinkerTool System, MacPilot and several other utilities all have a function for rebuilding the Launch Services database.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
pbGuy #41198 07/19/16 04:40 PM

I've got 2 artifacts, as well, and even after 10.11.6 install.

I did a quick uninstall of Cocktail 9.3.2 (didn't check any of the boxes in the Uninstall menu) and reinstalled. ...No change in Sys Pref Notifications with the 2 Cocktail remaining. ...Is the upper or lower artifact reflecting the version of Cocktail that's installed?

What was the Cocktail, uninstall procedure (developer instructed) used, and I'll see if that resolves?

The developer sent a special script that accompanied the instructions. Please contact me at pndrgnsvc*$*AT ]]]]aol[[[com and I'll gladly send that to you. But please note, the script is now at least 2 years old so I'm uncertain it is appropriate for your current Cocktail, ergo you may need to contact Maintain. But you may still care to give it a go.

BTW, when Notifications had the two Cocktails, I never knew which was which.

UPDATE: ARRGH, Cocktail has returned. Merde!

UPDATE 2: As Joe suggested, I rebuilt the Launch Services Database, even though I've done that before, but this time, it put things to right... For now.

I suspect that my problem is related to restarting, ergo I may be forced to repeat this drill after every restart. We'll see...

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #41202 07/19/16 05:13 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I've now done the Launch Services rebuild and System restart. ...I'm still getting 2 Cocktail artifacts, which is surprising since I thought LS rebuild would solve it.

I'm going to just ignore for a while (maybe, await next Cocktail update) since I'm not seeing any issues with my System otherwise.

Pendragon #41213 07/20/16 11:30 AM

UPDATE: I restarted the OS to see if the artifact returned as I feared. I'm delighted to be wrong- the artifact did not return. cool

Still, I'll remain watchful...

Harv

pbGuy #41227 07/21/16 02:40 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

...Is the upper or lower artifact reflecting the version of Cocktail that's installed?...

I can answer this question (however, not sure it enlightens much)...

At least in my App Notifications list, where there are 2 x Cocktail artifacts, it's the lower one that's working with the current, installed version. ...I tested both, by toggling one Off when the other was On, and the lower one provided the Notifications report. So, I've left that setup in Notifications.

Again, there doesn't seem to be any System critical issue going on. Hopefully, Maintain will resolve. (Unless it's a macOS issue, and then, I'm not sure why 10.11.6 didn't resolve when I updated.)

Pendragon #41247 07/22/16 12:47 PM

I think I know what causes of the artifact to appear, though I don’t know the whys…

In sum:
1. Check Notifications, no artifact.
2. Access my wife's computer (she has Cocktail installed) via our local network. Wait for it...
3. When I relaunch Notifications... you guessed it. The artifact reappears.
4. Disconnect from my wife’s computer, relaunch Notifications, and again you guessed it. No more artifact.

Now, if I can just figure out why this happens… How are her apps affecting my Notifications? Can this somehow relate to a file sharing setting?

Indeed I'm confused. confused

Harv

Pendragon #41248 07/22/16 12:52 PM

I don't know if this will help, but there is an update to Cocktail that I saw today.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #41250 07/22/16 01:07 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

I updated to Cocktail's 9.3.3, completed a Launch Services DB rebuild, and restarted. ...No Change - 2 Cocktail artifacts persist, even with my external FW drive (Time Machine & Superduper clone) dismounted. (As mentioned in my prior post, 1 artifact is Off in Notifications - this is the one I expected to disappear; the one that is On continues to report a Notification as to be expected.) ...My MBP is only computer on my LAN. confused

This must be a macOS issue. crazy

pbGuy #41253 07/22/16 02:51 PM

As a data point…

When I connected to my MBP, again, the artifact reappeared, and then disappeared when I disconnected (as it did with my wife's machine). The OS on my wife’s machine and the MBP are different.

It seems I can turn the artifact on & off at will by merely accessing my LAN.

For sure, far more questions than answers…

I suspect we all can agree that I'm confused...

Harv

Pendragon #41271 07/27/16 09:44 AM

The short version:

Background:
• It had seemed I could get the Cocktail artifact to appear/disappear by mouting/unmounting LAN volumes.

• Of course, this makes no sense, but there it was.

Present Situation:
• Late yesterday afternoon, I replaced my principal volume with a SuperDuper! clone.

• Now, even with LAN volumes mounted, no artifact is present.

While I am pleased with the result, I am again (still) confused as the clone I used was just a few hours old, e.g., why would an “exact” clone make the problem disappear? confused

Does that make sense to anyone?

Harv

Pendragon #41272 07/27/16 03:01 PM

Was the clone drive mounted when the "ghost" was showing? I have encountered a situation once or twice when the system was apparently somehow "seeing" a file or app on another mounted drive s well as its clone on the boot drive. I never did figure out why that was happening, but it was usually "cured" by a subsequent update of either the app or OS. I always guessed the fix was a result of updating the Launch Services, Locate, or Whereis database. confused

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41273 07/27/16 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Was the clone drive mounted when the "ghost" was showing? I have encountered a situation once or twice when the system was apparently somehow "seeing" a file or app on another mounted drive s well as its clone on the boot drive. I never did figure out why that was happening, but it was usually "cured" by a subsequent update of either the app or OS. I always guessed the fix was a result of updating the Launch Services, Locate, or Whereis database. confused

Joe, Cocktail is not on any volume of my internal HD or on my external HD. And I have affirmed it was not on the source drive from which the clone was (re)copied. For months now, it has not been on any drives except those on the LAN.

On the plus side, I am rarely encumbered by my ignorance... wink

Curious & curiouser.

Harv

Pendragon #41279 07/27/16 10:28 PM

Quote:
For months now, it has not been on any drives except those on the LAN.

I don't know if this sheds any light on your specific issue, but I don't believe an application needs to be on your boot drive in order to show up in Notifications; I think it's sufficient for the app to have run on your computer while you were booted from your boot drive. For example, MacJournal shows up in Notifications when I'm booted from my Yosemite partition, even though it's only installed on my Mavericks partition.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #41284 07/28/16 04:07 AM

I have 2 cocktail artifacts in Notifications. I have 1 computer, no networks and 1 internal hard drive. Have tried the various methods to eliminate 1 of the artifacts but none has worked.

Douglas #41285 07/28/16 01:51 PM

I just realized I have a couple of apps that show two items in Notifications. One is the app itself and the other is a "helper" task that is launched by the app to monitor system certain system events and passes the data along to the app.

Open Activity monitor and see if there are two Cocktail tasks running, you will have to launch Cocktail for this to work.

I would try it but Cocktail is not yet certified for Sierra.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41286 07/28/16 02:02 PM

Launched Cocktail this morning and then checked Activity Monitor. Only 1 Cocktail showing but 2 still in Notifications.

Douglas #41287 07/28/16 02:38 PM
pbGuy Offline OP
OP Offline

Originally Posted By: Douglas
Launched Cocktail this morning and then checked Activity Monitor. Only 1 Cocktail showing but 2 still in Notifications.

Same here.

Additionally, System Information tool shows only 1 Cocktail (v9.3.3) in Applications.

...Normally, I like 2 Cocktails, at least, but in this case, I'd prefer just one. grin

pbGuy #41288 07/28/16 03:20 PM

... Normally, I like 2 Cocktails, at least, but in this case, I'd prefer just one. grin

Aye, there's the rub: It's cocktails that give ya headaches, not straight shots! tongue

grelber #41291 07/29/16 11:53 AM

If musings allowed and for whatever benefit it may be...

Having mucked about with this issue for several months now, I’m quite convinced that there is no easy fix.

AFAIK, the only (possible) solution is to:

1. Remove/uninstall Cocktail, ensuring you’ve also deleted all bits & pieces. I found the uninstaller that comes with Cocktail still leaves detritus, so you may care to also use EasyFind or such (and also search for "Maintain").

2. Then restore from a clone. There are so many variables as to how the clone was made, I am not even certain that always works.

Notes:

• I used SuperDuper!, though I suspect (guess) CCC will also work.

• I restored from a clone, but Migration Assistant may also work.

• While I had not done it, I think a simple erase of the drive prior to restoring may be a good idea.

• I still haven’t a clue what causes the problem and why the fix I suggested even worked for me.

• What differences/consequences (if any) re spinning rust vs SSD, computer model, configuration, OS, etc., again I’m clueless.

• And worst of all, I have no insight re probability that what I propose even works for others.

Harv

Pendragon #41328 08/02/16 04:56 PM

Yay! That worked a treat! Thanks, Harv. grin

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #41329 08/02/16 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Yay! That worked a treat! Thanks, Harv. grin

Pleased to know it worked, Jon. But please don't ask me why...

I guess that whatever it is that causes the artifact/ghost is not copied (at lease by SuperDuper) when the clone is made- much as the Emergency Startup is not copied to the clone.

Of course, I now wonder if a clone made by CCC enjoys the same success. confused

Harv

Pendragon #41332 08/02/16 07:04 PM

Oops! I replied in the wrong thread! I was thanking you for solving my problem with ScamZapper. See the original thread for the proper answer. blush

Jon

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard