FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stuck at Board Rules
#41144 07/15/16 05:51 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

I finally figured this one out (obviously, since I'm posting about it). For the past two days, whenever I tried to access FTM, I got to the Board Rules page. No link got me out of it. I logged out/in, deleted cookies and caches, disabled extensions, all to no avail. Today, I noticed that, at the bottom of the Board Rules page, there was a box to check that said that I accept these rules. When I checked that box and re-accessed FTM, I got here. The problem seems to have been solved for me.

Has anyone else seen this?

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
Re: stuck at Board Rules
jchuzi #41145 07/15/16 06:26 PM

Yeah, same for me. I've learned to scroll down when things like that show up.

I suspect that "management" decided to make it clear to (ie, remind) all users what is expected of them, especially after the mini-debacle which saw one of our number "banned" a little while back. Requiring a user to check the "accept" box, even if he/she doesn't bother to read the rules, achieves a priori consent to the rules and acceptance of the consequences should one not abide by same.

jchuzi #41152 07/15/16 09:04 PM

Yep, you have to scroll to the bottom.

Unfortunately, the legalese on the Terms and Conditions page is now a requirement if we want to accept users from California and the European Union. Between the debacle of the EU Safe Harbor laws being overturned and the new laws that are replacing them, and California's privacy laws, any site that accepts user accounts or collects user data is supposed to show a Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy page to all their users.

A lot of Web sites aren't doing that yet, but they're technically supposed to.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #41154 07/15/16 09:35 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Is it possible to state, at the top of the page, that agreeing to these rules is mandatory before one can access the forums? It had not occurred to me to scroll to the bottom of the page, at least for two days. Other participants in these forums may have the same issues with no way to read this thread and resolve them.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
tacit #41155 07/15/16 09:37 PM

Tacit posted while I was typing so I will start over and simply add the thrust and intent of FineTunedMac's Terms and Conditions have not changed, they have been published in legally acceptable terms with appropriate legal caveats. Requiring acknowledgment from old as well as new users prevents anyone claiming "How was I to know?"

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #41156 07/15/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Requiring acknowledgment from old as well as new users prevents anyone claiming "How was I to know?"

What!! But I always use that excuse….for everything. Now what am I going to do? grin

Last edited by ryck; 07/15/16 09:40 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #41157 07/15/16 09:40 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
... Other participants in these forums may have the same issues with no way to read this thread and resolve them.

Not quite true. You can read the forums without being logged in — without the rules page blocking access. You just can't otherwise participate (ie, write to them) without being registered and logged in.

grelber #41159 07/15/16 09:52 PM

Point taken, but the only control we have at the present time is on posting. I know there are a few forums, blogs, communities, whatever that require registration just to read the contents. Hopefully we will not have to resort to that, but as various state and international entities revise their rules, that could eventually happen.

Thanks, by-the-way. Your comment pointed out something we have overlooked in posting the Terms and Conditions that needs to be fixed.

Last edited by joemikeb; 07/15/16 09:58 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
tacit #41165 07/16/16 08:21 AM

Originally Posted By: tacit
Unfortunately, the legalese on the Terms and Conditions page is now a requirement if we want to accept users from California and the European Union. Between the debacle of the EU Safe Harbor laws being overturned and the new laws that are replacing them, and California's privacy laws, any site that accepts user accounts or collects user data is supposed to show a Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy page to all their users.

A lot of Web sites aren't doing that yet, but they're technically supposed to.

I guess it's coincidental, but a coupl'a recent Mod interventions left me guessing that Board Rules might not be far behind.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #41175 07/19/16 05:28 AM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Is it possible to state, at the top of the page, that agreeing to these rules is mandatory before one can access the forums? It had not occurred to me to scroll to the bottom of the page, at least for two days. Other participants in these forums may have the same issues with no way to read this thread and resolve them.

I have added copy to the T&C page to indicate that people need to scroll to the bottom and accept the terms and conditions. smile

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #41178 07/19/16 10:25 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Excellent! Thank you.

Jon

jchuzi #41183 07/19/16 12:03 PM

haha, so I'm not the only one! I just got back here after a few weeks hiatus, and found myself spinning my wheels on that exact same page until I thought to scroll down. "I'm logged in, why won't it let me past this page?!"

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #41207 07/19/16 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
haha, so I'm not the only one! I just got back here after a few weeks hiatus, and found myself spinning my wheels on that exact same page until I thought to scroll down. "I'm logged in, why won't it let me past this page?!"

To sum up: Some of us think inside the box, others outside the box, still others who don't recognize/admit that there is a box. tongue wink

grelber #41245 07/22/16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Originally Posted By: Virtual1

To sum up: Some of us think inside the box, others outside the box, still others who don't recognize/admit that there is a box. tongue wink

and most of us still haven't figured out that we're all in a box, that's in another box, that's in another box...

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard