An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Google Maps no more avoid Toll roads option?
#41017 06/28/16 03:32 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I've looked real hard, I cannot find the avoid toll roads option anymore in app for iphone/ Google Maps is it gone?

Also, start navigation, is that button gone? it's just starts without that? thanks.

Last edited by dianne; 06/28/16 07:06 PM. Reason: Moved from the “Mac OS X Applications” forum to “iTunes, iPhone, iPod, iPad, Apple TV.”
Re: Google Maps no more avoid Toll roads option?
kevs #41121 07/11/16 03:28 PM

With nearly 100 views and no help from anyone, let me offer the following:

Switch to Apple Maps. I am sure you have good reason for using Google, but in the off-chance that it is just an old habit for you, try Maps. It offers alternate routes that avoid tolls (at least in the SF Bay Area). I was also pleasantly surprised with its ability to "sense" a situation when it said aloud to me "You have arrived at your destination, but park and be prepared to walk" (or words to that effect). smirk

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Google Maps no more avoid Toll roads option?
Ira L #41122 07/11/16 06:08 PM

I will second Ira's recommendation. Three other pluses for Maps...
  1. Maps now uses TomTom and their maps and mapping are excellent.
  2. Although Maps does not have a street view the satelite view seems cripser and sharper than Google Maps and at least around my area the satellite images are more recent that the ones in Google Earth or Maps.
  3. Maps links with the Apple Watch which taps you on the wrist when it is time to turn which makes it difficult to miss a turn even if you are distracted. (Don't ask me how I know. 😜
Although it is not yet in general release, Maps in iOS 10 is greatly improved, a lot easier to apprehend, and in IMHO the most user friendly of the current crop of competitors.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard