An open community 
of Macintosh users,
for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: A Very Clever Way To Pay For a Ticket!
joemikeb #40922 06/16/16 07:41 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
[quote=ryck]Civil juries have even been known to find for the plaintiff even though the plaintiff did nothing wrong. I was on a civil jury where several jurors acknowledged the defendant did nothing wrong, but because the plaintiff had suffered pain and anguish she deserved compensation and they wanted to find for the plaintiff. FWIW as there were only three jurors who felt that way the decision of the other nine was sufficient to prevail and we found for the defendant.

I wonder if some of that isn't the mentality of "I've been wronged and somebody's gotta be held responsible!"

What I say to them: No, sometimes your luck's just crap. Life isn't always fair. And no, you're not entitled to compensation for when life takes a dump on you. More specifically, just because someone else is nearby and was involved in it, doesn't make them responsible for it.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #40925 06/16/16 11:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
And no, you're not entitled to compensation for when life takes a dump on you.

Gee, any chance I could convince you to write to our Prime Minister? We have had a series of federal governments who seem to think they should:

a) apologize for every wrong that's ever been committed against anyone and
b) write fat cheques to compensate.

It's got so out of hand that even the gay community has now pitched the government that they should get an apology (and a cheque, of course) for past wrongs.

Gads.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
Virtual1 #40944 06/20/16 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: slolerner
Does the system still allow jury nullification?

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqH_Y1TupoQ

I now understand why that Criminal Court Judge got bent out of shape when I raised my hand - I was the only one to do so. - when he asked the the voir dire panel if any of us would vote against a conviction based on the facts because we didn't agree with the law.

Actually, I didn't have nullification in mind...wasn't even aware of the concept; my response was rooted in the thought that (to the best of my knowledge) the ONLY opportunity an INDIVIDUAL American has to raise hir LONE voice and make it HEARD is to say "That law sucks! Hung jury!"

Needless to say, we didn't get into a philosophical discussion, but had we done so I would have made a very strong point that the privilege is not one to be taken lightly, but neither is it one to be ignored (if nobody asks the right question and nullifies the possibility).

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #40950 06/20/16 02:16 PM

I wonder if some of that isn't the mentality of "I've been wronged and somebody's gotta be held responsible!"

I think it is more a case of, "The defendant has insurance therefore the only one hurt will be in insurance company so why not grant the defendant a windfall."

My wife once sat next to a district court judge on an airline flight and during their conversation he said exactly that. When, my wife pointed out that we all pay for the insurance either directly in the form of premiums or indirectly in the form of increased prices to pay for the increased premiums, the judge was quiet and very thoughtful and finally confessed to her, "I guess you are right. That never occurred to me before." The scary thing to me is the judge, who had a reputation of being a very good jurist, was so wrapped up in the mechanics and letter of the law that he had never considered the impact not only on those directly involved but the general public as well.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40954 06/20/16 03:15 PM

The scary thing to me is the judge, who had a reputation of being a very good jurist, was so wrapped up in the mechanics and letter of the law that he had never considered the impact not only on those directly involved but the general public as well.

Sounds like the man spent his life in a closet.

It's incomprehensible to me that he could have served in the legal profession long enough and with enough distinction to have become a judge without ever having bumped into the reality noted by your wife.

The thought of it makes me fearful of the "justice" dispensed in his court!

Edit: It also leaves me wondering how he goes about acquiring a new car. tongue

Last edited by artie505; 06/20/16 03:59 PM. Reason: Better word +

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40956 06/20/16 03:52 PM

The whole (slightly tangential) discussion revolving around jury duty would lead one to avoid same by hook or by crook, unless of course one is otherwise bored senseless and/or is at loose ends as to what to do for entertainment.

As for the latter, might I suggest learning a foreign language (eg, Arabic, Russian, Greek, Chinese — something not written in Roman letters which can also recruit right-hemisphere learning) to while away the hours, as well as forestall dementia's setting in.

grelber #40966 06/21/16 04:53 AM

Originally Posted By: grelber
The whole (slightly tangential) discussion revolving around jury duty would lead one to avoid same by hook or by crook, unless of course one is otherwise bored senseless and/or is at loose ends as to what to do for entertainment.

And generations of "good" Americans did, indeed, avoid it, but by never registering to vote (here in NYC, anyhow), which was kinda counterproductive.

grelber #40971 06/21/16 04:16 PM

As for the latter, might I suggest learning a foreign language (eg, Arabic, Russian, Greek, Chinese — something not written in Roman letters which can also recruit right-hemisphere learning) to while away the hours, as well as forestall dementia's setting in.

Which reminds me of the recent incident on an airline. A mathematics professor was writing some mathematical thoughts of a symbolic nature. The woman sitting next to him saw these, did not recognize the script, saw that he was "Middle Eastern in appearances", he had spoken to her curtly ("Is Syracuse your home?" "No.") and notified a member of the flight crew of suspicious behaviors. The professor was pulled off, questioned but allowed to return to his seat and the flight continued

Oh, the professor was an award winning Italian mathematician.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #40972 06/21/16 04:54 PM

Apropos same ...

If I had a laptop to travel with, I never would, given the rather less than sacrosanct treatment of one's data, especially when crossing international borders.

However, I have a great screen saver which is guaranteed to freak out any Nosy Parker who is wont to check out what you're doing on your computer:
At a click it starts a visual countdown from 10 (virtually full-screen font). If you start mumbling gibberish or, even better, some form of Arabic, you're guaranteed to cause an effect.
I particularly enjoy capping off the countdown with an elegant calligraphic rendition of "Allahu akbar".
(You could also offer your seatmate a 72-hour Depend®.)

grelber #40973 06/21/16 06:45 PM

However, I have a great screen saver which is guaranteed to freak out any Nosy Parker who is wont to check out what you're doing on your computer:
At a click it starts a visual countdown from 10 (virtually full-screen font). If you start mumbling gibberish or, even better, some form of Arabic, you're guaranteed to cause an effect.
I particularly enjoy capping off the countdown with an elegant calligraphic rendition of "Allahu akbar".

Or you could go to a theatre and wait until 15 minutes after the movie starts and yell FIRE!

and no, neither sounds like even a remotely good idea.

Virtual1 #40974 06/21/16 08:30 PM

Or you could go to a theatre and wait until 15 minutes after the movie starts and yell FIRE!
and no, neither sounds like even a remotely good idea.

I thought somebody might come up with that (or a similar) objection. But, no, it's not the same thing. Nor is it like using the word "bomb" in an airline terminal.
It is virtually the same as the Italian mathematician example ... namely, no harm, no foul. And it screws over the stupid and ignorant.

grelber #40978 06/21/16 10:32 PM

I thought somebody might come up with that (or a similar) objection. But, no, it's not the same thing. Nor is it like using the word "bomb" in an airline terminal.
It is virtually the same as the Italian mathematician example ... namely, no harm, no foul. And it screws over the stupid and ignorant.

No harm???

The difference is INTENT. Admittedly the lady who was frightened by a mathematical formula demonstrated her ignorance, but ignorance is not a crime and neither she nor the mathematician intended to create an incident which is what you are proposing. I suspect the airline, TSA, and airport security police would take a very dim view of your little practical joke and at best you could end up being asked to leave the airplane and take a bus. You could even end up with a fine or even jail time.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40979 06/21/16 11:11 PM

The difference is INTENT. Admittedly the lady who was frightened by a mathematical formula demonstrated her ignorance, but ignorance is not a crime and neither she nor the mathematician intended to create an incident which is what you are proposing. I suspect the airline, TSA, and airport security police would take a very dim view of your little practical joke and at best you could end up being asked to leave the airplane and take a bus. You could even end up with a fine or even jail time.

Maybe yes, maybe no. There is absolutely no literal threat.
But, as I noted in my preamble, it's wholly moot. I would never travel with any electronic device which could be seized and searched by authorities, legitimate or otherwise.

honestone #40984 06/22/16 01:04 PM

Inciting a stampede or riot isn't a protected act, anywhere. If you do something with the intent to get that result, you are responsible for that result even if the victim was stupid for responding like that.

Taking a total disconnect - if you toss a firecracker under someone's seat, and they jump when it goes off and hit their head on the bin overhead, you will probably be found and held responsible for their injury in any civil or criminal response.

Now let me really shorten that: "Don't be an ass"

Virtual1 #40987 06/22/16 02:41 PM

Inciting a stampede or riot isn't a protected act, anywhere. If you do something with the intent to get that result, you are responsible for that result even if the victim was stupid for responding like that.

Continuing in the vein of the hypothetical ...
It is extremely difficult to prove intent, which is an internal mental construct, if that's what is necessary to determine "guilt".
On the other hand, proximate and/or ultimate cause* is a more achievable possibility, but limited to that culpability is reduced.
(* For example, proximate cause of someone's rear bumper being crunched is my vehicle's having hit it; the ultimate cause might be the failure of my vehicle's braking system or my inattentiveness. In either case, albeit otherwise irrelevant to the main issue, the matter is dealt with by liability insurance.)

grelber #40991 06/23/16 03:31 AM

And getting back to reality, once you're busted, neither lack of intent nor even innocence will save you from having to talk and perhaps even pay your way out of it.

artie505 #40992 06/23/16 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505

And getting back to reality, once you're busted, neither lack of intent nor even innocence will save you from having to talk and perhaps even pay your way out of it.

The reality is that, given the premises I stated, such can never happen. So let's just drop this.

grelber #40993 06/23/16 09:02 AM

Originally Posted By: artie505

And getting back to reality, once you're busted, (Edit: you're busted, and) neither lack of intent nor even innocence will save you from having to talk and perhaps even pay your way out of it.

The reality is that, given the premises I stated, such can never happen. So let's just drop this.

The reality is that given those premises it can never happen to you, but it could happen to someone dumb enough to like and execute your "cute" idea.

Accordingly, a complete discussion of potential consequences is not unwarranted.

Last edited by artie505; 06/24/16 12:53 AM. Reason: Make better

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard