FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Don't use DVD for backup anymore?
artie505 #40719 05/26/16 04:53 PM

Tacit's description of RAID 5 is the most easily understood I have seen. cool

But in the case of my system there is no special hardware controller, rather the control is handled in software. Theoretically a hardware controller should be faster than software control and at one time that was easily demonstrable but with faster computers that speed advantage is getting pretty slim. Today the limiting factor is more likely to be the speed of the connecting buss and not hardware vs software controllers. SoftRAID in fact contends their software control can rebuild a damaged volume in a RAID 5 array much faster than competing hardware controllers — I hope I never have to find that out for myself tongue

RAID software has been built into OS X for some time now but it supports only RAID 0 (Striped) and RAID 1 (Mirrored). SoftRAID supports RAID 0, 1, 4, 5, and 1+0. (Go here for a description of the various RAID levels and their relative performance and features.)

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #40728 05/27/16 03:34 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
More good info thanks Tacit.
As Artie ask as well:

What is the controller fails, then you may not even have one good drive? Keeping things separate usually only one drive dies and you quickly replace it.

That controller on the Raid, sounds kind of scary in that it's decoding and then coding back garbly gook, and it that goes screwy the whole house of cards could fall down?

The purpose of a RAID array is to be resilient in the face of failure. If any part of a hard drive fails--heads, platters, controller, anything--the information on it is gone. A RAID array can tolerate a failure and keep going.

Most RAID arrays these days use pretty standardized parts. They're not really a house of cards; they're quite robust. Years ago, I installed an array for a client of mine, an advertising agency that was at any given time working with many gigabytes of files for a catalog they produced. The array had nine drive slots, two controllers, and two power supplies. It was designed so that if a controller, a power supply, or any two hard drives failed, you would still have all your data. (If one hard drive failed, it would just keep on going; if two hard drives failed, it would go into an emergency mode where you could still read your data but you could not write new data until you replaced the failed drives.)

As Virtual1 says, they're not backups; they're designed to make your data accessible even if something fails. You still aren't protected from doing things like accidentally deleting a file. Even with an array, you still need backups. Think of an array as a hard drive that is very, very difficult to kill.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #40729 05/27/16 11:58 AM

So Tacit, I was wondering what your take is on the video I posted? Have you had a chance to watch it?

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #40733 05/28/16 05:41 AM

I just watched it, and WOW!!!

No backup scheme for irreplaceable data?

Nuff said!

(I wonder how much it cost them?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Virtual1 #40734 05/28/16 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
So Tacit, I was wondering what your take is on the video I posted? Have you had a chance to watch it?

I've only watched part of it. I'm back in the cabin writing another book[1] at the moment, and the cabin has very slow Internet. It's many miles from the closest town, and we have DSL that averages between 55 and 60 kbits/sec; roughly as fast as a dial-up modem. So YouTube is tough. smile

From what I saw, they are poster children for How Not To Protect Data and How Not To Handle a Failed Array, though.

[1] Actually, two books, one fiction and one nonfiction.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard