Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Time machine back up isn't working
#40565 05/19/16 03:30 PM
IanSh Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi there

New to the forum and hoping somebody might be able to help me out.

I've got a iMac OS X Version 10.7.5. Never had any problem backing up to an external hard drive before but suddenly whenever I try I get the message:

"The backup was not performed because an error occurred while copying files to the backup disk. The problem may be temporary. Try again later to back up. If the problem persists, use Disk Utility to repair your backup disk."

I try again later and same think. So I repair the backup disk and it tells me that it's OK. But I still get the same message. Anyone able to offer some advice please?

Many thanks.

Re: Time machine back up isn't working
IanSh #40567 05/19/16 04:31 PM

Try a third party utility like Disk Warrior or TechTool Pro. See what they tell you about the drive and what repairs they can do.

My main thought is that Time Machine is fine but your hard drive is not. Have another drive available? Try backing up to that. If that works the first drive is the problem. If that does not work, let us know more about the drive and the type of connection (USB, Firewire, etc.).

As a last resort, if you can afford to lose the entire backup, erase the disk using Disk Utility and try again.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Re: Time machine back up isn't working
Ira L #40570 05/19/16 04:50 PM
IanSh Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the reply.

I don't currently have DiskWarrior. Before I buy it, I tried to back up to the WD My Cloud drive. I got the same message. Any further thoughts before I try DiskWarrior?

Re: Time Machine backup isn't working
IanSh #40571 05/19/16 05:33 PM

I'm also running your version of OS X Lion and use Time Machine for backups.

I get the nagging feeling from your description that your OS and/or Time Machine app might be at fault — not Time Machine HD, especially given your last comments.

How about booting into Recovery HD and running Repair Disk — first on your iMac's HD and then, if that doesn't solve the impasse, on your Time Machine HD — from there? If it works, it's a cheap and easy way out.

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard