for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Notifications Weirdness
#40514 05/17/16 02:22 PM
OP Offline

In Notification Center, I have 2 instances of Cocktail.

I have uninstalled Cocktail and 1 instance will be deleted and the other remains. Upon reinstalling, the second copy reappears.

I have also done a search with EasyFind to locate all Cocktail leftovers, but my quest has been unsuccessful.

AFAIK, there are no resulting problems, but I do find it frustrating that removing an item from Notifications should be so bloody difficult.

Is there a solution or ’tis it a nit that must be tolerated? confused

Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.13.6), iPhone Xs Max (12.1)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Re: Notifications Weirdness
Pendragon #40516 05/17/16 03:19 PM

Some applications spawn additional tasks that also have the ability to send notifications therefore the app may show up twice in the Notifications list. I haven't used Cocktail in quite some time, so I don't know if that is the case here or not. The fact Cocktail now has an uninstaller makes me suspicious this may be the case you are dealing with here.

When you uninstalled Cocktail did you use their uninstaller?
Originally Posted By: Cocktail FAQ
You can remove Cocktail by launching it, then selecting the Uninstall Cocktail option from the Cocktail application menu.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40521 05/17/16 04:37 PM
OP Offline

Yes, Joe, I did use the Cocktail Uninstaller.

FWIW: all is dandy on my MacBook Pro and on my wife's 22" iMac. It is only on my 27" iMac that this issue is present.

I wonder (guess) if the problem is with Notifications and not with Cocktail. If it were in Notifications, where do you suppose it might be? Indeed I am perplexed. It seems to me there should be a file listing all the apps/files in Notifications. If so, might this be editable?

Harv

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
Pendragon #40522 05/17/16 05:25 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Notification Center" and/or "Notifications"?

When I Google it, it shows only that it's part of iOS and similar. It sure ain't in my iMac's Lion (10.7.5).

Pendragon #40526 05/17/16 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Pendragon
I wonder (guess) if the problem is with Notifications and not with Cocktail. If it were in Notifications, where do you suppose it might be? Indeed I am perplexed. It seems to me there should be a file listing all the apps/files in Notifications. If so, might this be editable?

It would most likely be in ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.notificationscenterui.plist under Root ➢ Today View ➢ Order and would show up as an item. This file can easily be edited with Xcode if you have it installed or you can do it with TextEdit being sure to open and save it as Plain Text. The trick is convincing Yosemite or El Capitan to leave the changes in place.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
grelber #40528 05/17/16 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "Notification Center" and/or "Notifications"?

When I Google it, it shows only that it's part of iOS and similar. It sure ain't in my iMac's Lion (10.7.5).

Originally Posted By: Notification Center - Wikipedia
...Notification Center was made available on Macs as part of OS X Mountain Lion in July 2012.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #40529 05/17/16 09:01 PM
OP Offline

Joe, I was unable to find the file you mentioned, and even if I could, the probability of my success is nil.

I'll keep poking about the web with hopes that an easy fix is identified.

Of course, I appreciate your time & efforts- many thanks!

Harv

artie505 #40532 05/17/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
Originally Posted By: Notification Center - Wikipedia
...Notification Center was made available on Macs as part of OS X Mountain Lion in July 2012.

Many fangs.

grelber #40533 05/17/16 10:12 PM
OP Offline

I just got off the line with Apple Support and after the tech struck out, he chatted with his supervisor. The conclusion/suggestion was to wipe the drive and then "clean" reinstall everything. In fairness, it was opined that this issue is of no consequence and 'tis probably best left ignored.

He also suggested contacting Cocktail just to see if they had a suggestion or two. I have sent them a note, but already I have doubts that success is in my future.

Harv

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard