FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Antivirus and copy conflict
artie505 #40464 05/14/16 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I wouldn't have guessed that anything that changed with a machine upgrade would affect an app's running.

I got the same pop-up when I launched TTP on my 2015 machine as I had previously gotten on my 2010 machine, and the only reason I even tried on either is that it's been posted here (by you, I think) that it was really only the OS X testing portions of TTP that were in question but that the disk testing portions were OK to run.

My use of the term upgrade apparently caused confusion. I was thinking in terms of software upgrades ie. going from OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) to OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) not hardware upgrades. My use of the term update was intended to refer to software updates, ie. OS X 10.11.3 TO 10.11.4.

It is not uncommon for Apple to change the arguments (options) of commands and APIs, change what they do, or even eliminate them altogether as part of an OS upgrade. Some changes may simply break the app and cause it not to work, others may actually result in unintended damage to the system. Such changes are announced well in advance but not all developers keep up with the changes and even those that do may find they have misconstrued the effect of a change, so careful testing is essential for safety.

Unless an app such as Diskwarrior, TechTool Pro, Drive Genius, MacPilot, OnyX, Tinkertool, Cocktail, TinkerTool System, etc. actually writes to the drive it is extremely unlikely to do any harm, but that does not guarantee an out of date app will run under a newer OS than it was certified for.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/14/16 03:44 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40465 05/14/16 03:47 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: joemikeb

Either a Unix command or an API (Applications Program Interface) used in TTP 6 is the most likely culprit. However Micromat NEVER condones using any version of TTP that has not been thoroughly vetted for the upgrade version of OS X you are running. Update versions are generally okay however.

Yes, that was certainly the case when I read all the discussions on Micromat's site when OS 10.11 initially came out, and also for about 10 days or so after OS 10.11 arrived. They even warned about using the beta versions of TTPro that were being developed/tested for El Capitan compatibility.

After the final version (8.0.3) of TTPro was released, though, I still waited to upgrade, as OS 10.11.1 arrived about 2 weeks later. All has been well since. (The other critical app that was updated for compatibility with OS 10.11 after the release was Onyx, and that of course was another reason why I waited).

From my perspective, it is not wise to try and use an older version of a program with each newer OS, unless it has been clearly demonstrated to be OK. One is just asking for trouble otherwise. About the only apps I've been able to use without upgrades (so far) are Quicken 2007 (works fine for my needs), and a calculator called Magic Number Machine (there are probably some others that I don't use very often which still work fine also, but the two I mentioned are ones I use on just about a daily basis).

Last edited by honestone; 05/14/16 04:32 PM.
honestone #40469 05/14/16 10:50 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

H, I will now have the "install El Capitan app in the application folders of all clones.

I'm pretty rusty on erasing a Mac HD, what happens at that point, you drag that file over from the clone, right from the finder from the clone to the newly erased Mac HD, and double click it and it will install the OS? The blank/ empty hardrive does not need any coding on it to deal with the new install?

kevs #40482 05/15/16 03:06 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: kevs
H, I will now have the "install El Capitan app in the application folders of all clones.

I'm pretty rusty on erasing a Mac HD, what happens at that point, you drag that file over from the clone, right from the finder from the clone to the newly erased Mac HD, and double click it and it will install the OS? The blank/ empty hardrive does not need any coding on it to deal with the new install?

First of all, just confirm that the file name is "Install OS X El Capitan".

Secondly, as I mentioned above, you need to copy that file to another folder on both your internal drive, and on each clone. On the same hard drive/SDD, here is how to do that (after, of course, deciding exactly where you want the flle copied to:

"There are two ways to copy/paste, first is by selecting the file and using Command+C to copy, then Command+V to paste where you want the copy to be. The second is quicker and less-known—by using the mouse and the Option key. Normally, the default system behavior would just move a file that's dragged by the mouse (basically, cutting and pasting it), but holding down the Option key will cause it to make a copy of the file, just as though you had used the copy/paste functions in any normal app"

If you just drag the file to the new location on the same HDD/SDD, the file will disappear from the original location.

To copy a file between two different HDDs/SDDs, in that case you can just drag the file from the original location on the original HDD/SDD to the new location on the new HDD/SDD, and it will not disappear/be removed.

Going forward, when you use SD (or CCC for that matter) to perform the backup, either product will first erase the destination you choose whether the copy/clone will be made to, and then perform the backup. If instead you first use Disk Utility, it will also Erase everything on that destination, but will also re-format it. You can then use SD or CCC to perform the backup.

Obviously, everything in the destination location is gone, but being you have everything you want on the source location, the SD/CCC backup will copy everything for you exactly as is.

Last edited by honestone; 05/15/16 03:13 PM.
honestone #40483 05/15/16 04:14 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Yes, called install el capitan.

Did not understand probably 95% of your last post which is odd, as usually you are so clear.

The file is in the apps folder, and that gets cloned to the clone, hence what else to discuss? It'll be there on the clone.

I'm going to put it on a flash drive, as my laptop for some reason will not download it to the apps folder from the app store. In fact, I'm not even sure how I got it on the apps folder on the dektop. I've tried several times to download from app store to the app folder and nothing happens - laptop.

My question was:

After your MAC HD has fried, and you did your erase from clone, you then just ? Not clear how the erased Mac HD will get the install El Capitan onto it, as it has no structure.

BTW this just may be too convoluted a topic to convey via a forum.

kevs #40484 05/15/16 04:48 PM
Banned
Banned

Yes, called install el capitan.

Did not understand probably 95% of your last post which is odd, as usually you are so clear.

The file is in the apps folder, and that gets cloned to the clone, hence what else to discuss? It'll be there on the clone.

I'm going to put it on a flash drive, as my laptop for some reason will not download it to the apps folder from the app store. In fact, I'm not even sure how I got it on the apps folder on the dektop. I've tried several times to download from app store to the app folder and nothing happens - laptop.

My question was:

After your MAC HD has fried, and you did your erase from clone, you then just ? Not clear how the erased Mac HD will get the install El Capitan onto it, as it has no structure.

BTW this just may be too convoluted a topic to convey via a forum.

I have stated numerous times that if you start the "Install OS X El Capitan" file/process via that file's location in the Applications folder, it will go away/be deleted after that completes. Hence, you will not have that file any longer in that original location. It is still wise and prudent to make a copy of that file in another folder/location on your internal drive. As I have mentioned before, on my internal SSD for both of my machines, I have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" within both the Applications folder, and in another folder (separate from the Applications folder) called "Upgrades". And when I run SD, all of that gets EXACTLY copied to my external device (actually two devices, as I make 2 copies).

Now, as for:

"After your MAC HD has fried, and you did your erase from clone, you then just ? Not clear how the erased Mac HD will get the install El Capitan onto it, as it has no structure."

, if my HD (actually SSD in my case) gets "fried" beyond repair, the FIRST thing I will need to do is buy a new one and install it inside the machine (easy on my Mac MIni, and very, very difficult on my MacBook Air).

Next, once my internal SSD is "ok" (whether it was OK from the start (like both of mine are now), or via the installation of a new one), when one launches the file "Install OS X El Capitan", one of the choices is to run Disk Utility from there. That process will erase, format, and if necessary, partition, the internal HDD/SSD (SSD in my case). Once that is completed, I can then install a virgin, fresh version of OS 10.11.4. From there, I would boot my Mac from that fresh installation of OS 10.11.4 on my SSD, and then use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all needed "stuff" from my SD backup/clone (on my external device).

I can also run Disk Utility from the SD backup/clone, then launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan", and proceed as above. Of course, doing a fresh installation of OS 10.11.4 also gets the Recovery HD partition created.

Given that my SSD is fine now, I can either follow that process above, or after re-starting my Mac from the SD clone, I would do a "Restore all files" via the SD clone. What happens is 1) everything on my internal SSD is removed (but it is STILL formatted), and 2) everything (OS, Settings, Applications, etc., etc.) gets restored onto my internal SSD exactly like it was when I originally did the SD backup. Once completed, I just re-start my Mac from that just completed restore.

Regarding the method of first launching the "Install OS X El Capitan" for that I can first use Disk Utility, if I launch it from the Applications folder on the clone, it will be gone after the process completes, but I still have a copy of it somewhere else on the backup/clone. If I launch and run it from that alternate location, it WILL NOT get deleted after the installation completes.

Again, it's up to you whether you want it in one location on both your internal drive and on each backup/clone, or in multiple locations.

Last edited by honestone; 05/15/16 08:48 PM.
honestone #40485 05/15/16 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone
Going forward, when you use SD (or CCC for that matter) to perform the backup, either product will first erase the destination you choose whether the copy/clone will be made to, and then perform the backup.

I've never used SD and can't comment, but CCC does not "first erase the destination"; its default behavior is "Modified and deleted files will be cached as space allows on the destination."

Actually, CCC doesn't erase the destination under any circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Carbon Copy Cloner
When CCC copies files to the destination, it has to do something with files that already exist on the destination — files that are within the scope of the backup task, and items that aren't on the source at all. By default, CCC uses a feature called the SafetyNet to protect files and folders that fall into three categories:

Older versions of files that have been modified since a previous backup task
Files that have been deleted from the source since a previous backup task
Files and folders that are unique to the root level of the destination

When CCC's SafetyNet is disabled, older versions of modified files will be deleted once the updated replacement file has been successfully copied to the destination, and files that only exist on the destination will be deleted permanently.

Last edited by artie505; 05/15/16 09:02 PM. Reason: Clarify

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
honestone #40486 05/15/16 09:19 PM

Regarding the method of first launching the "Install OS X El Capitan" for that I can first use Disk Utility, if I launch it from the Applications folder on the clone, it will be gone after the process completes....

I just launched Install OS X El Capitan-10.11.3.app from /Apps and from a copy on another volume, and I couldn't find any way to get to Disk Utility; I thought you had to be booted into the installer to do that. (Does the installer actually disappear from /Apps if all you do is use DU, or only after you've done a complete installation?)

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40487 05/15/16 11:23 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks, well Artie interesting, a lot of this is hard to follow..

"then launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan", and proceed as above".

What I"m asking is how does one launch a file from one hardrive onto another hardrive?

That's why I'm not sure the having the install El Capitan will work. You have a erased Mac HD that has no structure. How do you launch the OS onto it?

I just erased my old Mac HD, the old 27" I'm going to see. One of the instructions was to be on the wifi, which is in menu upper right. I think I was in recovery mode.

I'm only on SD now. I worry a bit about it not having that recovery drive, which is not a life and death thing, but it's a nice tool to have.

artie505 #40488 05/16/16 04:31 AM
Banned
Banned

Going forward, when you use SD (or CCC for that matter) to perform the backup, either product will first erase the destination you choose whether the copy/clone will be made to, and then perform the backup.

I've never used SD and can't comment, but CCC does not "first erase the destination"; its default behavior is "Modified and deleted files will be cached as space allows on the destination."

Actually, CCC doesn't erase the destination under any circumstances.

Originally Posted By: Carbon Copy Cloner
When CCC copies files to the destination, it has to do something with files that already exist on the destination — files that are within the scope of the backup task, and items that aren't on the source at all. By default, CCC uses a feature called the SafetyNet to protect files and folders that fall into three categories:

Older versions of files that have been modified since a previous backup task
Files that have been deleted from the source since a previous backup task
Files and folders that are unique to the root level of the destination

When CCC's SafetyNet is disabled, older versions of modified files will be deleted once the updated replacement file has been successfully copied to the destination, and files that only exist on the destination will be deleted permanently.

Thanks for the correction about CCC. It looks like SD and CCC do things somewhat "differently". For SD, when one selects the "Backup - all files" option, there are 4 subsequent things to choose from:

1. Erase files, then copy files from "the source volume" (mine is called "Macintosh HD" on my Mac Mini, and "Macintosh SSD" on my Mac Book Air).
2. Smart update Backup from "the source volume".
3. Copy newer files from "the source volume" to Backup.
4. Copy different files from "the source volume" to Backup.

I always choose the first one, and it "erases the destination volume before writing to it".

Last edited by honestone; 05/16/16 04:46 AM.
artie505 #40489 05/16/16 04:43 AM
Banned
Banned

Regarding the method of first launching the "Install OS X El Capitan" for that I can first use Disk Utility, if I launch it from the Applications folder on the clone, it will be gone after the process completes....

I just launched Install OS X El Capitan-10.11.3.app from /Apps and from a copy on another volume, and I couldn't find any way to get to Disk Utility; I thought you had to be booted into the installer to do that. (Does the installer actually disappear from /Apps if all you do is use DU, or only after you've done a complete installation?)

Yes, you are correct (my snafu!). So, the process would be 1) after booting via the SD backup/clone, run Disk Utility from there to Erase, Format, and if necessary, partition the disk (typically the internal HD/SSD), 2) launch the file "Install OS X El Capitan" while still on the SD backup/clone and perform a "virgin" installation of OS 10.11.4 onto the just erased and formatted internal HD/SSD, 3) restart the Mac from that internal HD/SDD, and 4) use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all the needed stuff from the SD backup/clone.

Again, note that via this process, the Recovery HD partition gets created.

I just did steps 1 through 3 from the SD backup/clone I made on Friday onto a Flash Drive, and it worked fine. (I did not do step 4, as 1) I was just running a test, and 2) the Flash Drive did not have enough room for the Migration step). But, the important thing is that it worked.

Now, doing a recovery/restore directly from ab SD backup/clone works well, but the Recovery HD partition does not get created. But again, as long as one has the "Install OS X El Capitan" file around, one can download and run the nifty software Recovery Partition Creator, available from here:

http://musings.silvertooth.us/2014/07/recovery-partition-creator-3-8/

This article talks about this gem in well-deserved words:

http://www.macworld.com/article/2602951/...-any-drive.html

Last edited by honestone; 05/16/16 04:44 AM.
honestone #40498 05/16/16 06:52 PM
Banned
Banned

OK, I can now definitively answer artie505's and keys' questions. So, here goes.

First, after my test yesterday about installing OS 10.11.4 on an Erased, Mac-formatted flash drive, I booted from that flash drive on my mid 2013 MacBook Air. As I previously stated, that worked fine. However, doing that, for some "strange/unknown"reason, caused a start up or restart of the machine to take longer than usual. So, I decided to take care of this issue by doing the following about 2 hours ago:

1. Copied the Main Identity Folder for Office 2011 to an empty, Mac-formatted flash drive (will show why below).
2. Copied the "Install OS X El Capitan" file I downloaded yesterday to the Flash Drive.
3. Re-started the MacBook Air from the SuperDuper! backup/clone I had made just this past Friday.
4. Copied the "Install OS X El Capitan" file from the flash drive to 1) the Applications folder on the SD backup, and 2) the Upgrades folder for OS 10.11 I have on the SD Clone.
5. Launched Disk Utility from the Applications folder on the SD clone, and Erased and Formatted the Macintosh SSD partition on the internal SSD of the MacBook Air.
6. Launched the "Install OS X El Capitan" file from the Applications folder (on the SD Clone), and did a clean installation of OS 10.11.4 from that file to the Macintosh SSD on the MacBook Air.
7. After that installation completed, I was then able to do the migration of needed stuff from the SD clone to the Macintosh SSD partition, without needing to re-boot the MacBook Air, from that partition.
8. Finally, I re-started the MacBook Air from its internal Macintosh SSD partition, and it worked perfectly! And, now my MacBook Air starts (and re-starts) like "normal", ie, not taking long at all.
9. I then copied the Main Identity file for Office 2011 from the flash drive to the appropriate directory location on the Macintosh SSD partition. The primary purpose for doing that was to insure that my EMails (on the Air) were up to date. I did not need to back up any other file onto the flash drive.

Now, a couple of comments, both "in general" and specifically for the 2 individuals mentioned above:

1. For some reason, when I tried to use Disk Utility to Erase the Samsung 251 gig SSD in the MacBook Air (ie, the "top" level, with the subsequent (visible) partitions Macintosh SSD and eDrive), it would not let me do that. So, I just erased and formatted the Macintosh SSD partition. In a way, that saved me time in the end, as I did not need to re-create TechTool Pro's eDrive at the end of the process.

I guess if one needs to first install a brand new drive/SSD inside their machine, and boot from the SD backup/clone, Disk Utility would most likely allow one to start the Erase and Format process at that top level.

2. For artie505: I had previously read, on NUMEROUS occasions, and on numerous sites, that after launching the "Install OS X El Capitan" file from the Applications folder, and after the installation completed, that file would be gone. But, in this case, it did not. I'm wondering if that situation occurs when doing the installation on the same drive, but on different partitions? I've never done that. When OS 10.12 arrives, I plan on launching its "Install OS X" file from a location on my SD backup/clone, and in fact, I'll first place it inside that clone's Application folder.

2. For keys: this process did create the Recovery HD partition, as expected.

Last edited by honestone; 05/16/16 06:55 PM.
honestone #40499 05/16/16 07:13 PM
Banned
Banned

Well, shortly after I made this post, I saw where OS 10.11.5 and Itunes 12.4 were released:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/05/os-...sability-fixes/

I've downloaded the OS 10.11.5 Combo Updater, and plan on installing it later.

honestone #40500 05/16/16 09:22 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

H, so one can install the OS from one drive (from clone) to another (the ust reformated Mac HD) ? How does that work?

How does one install software from one drive to another totally different drive? Hard to get my head around that.

kevs #40505 05/16/16 11:00 PM
Banned
Banned

H, so one can install the OS from one drive (from clone) to another (the ust reformated Mac HD) ? How does that work?

How does one install software from one drive to another totally different drive? Hard to get my head around that.

It's been like that for quite a while. In fact, for me, it is the preferred way to do it. (By the way, what do you mean by "ust reformated Mac HD"? What is "ust"?

honestone #40506 05/17/16 12:11 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

What happens? You double click "install El Capitan from the clone, and it knows to install on the other drive - the just erased Mac HD?

kevs #40507 05/17/16 03:48 AM
Banned
Banned

What happens? You double click "install El Capitan from the clone, and it knows to install on the other drive - the just erased Mac HD?

No. After double clicking on it (and going through a couple of screens), the startup disk on your Mac shows up. But, there is a button entitled "More disks" that one would click, and it will show all drives attached to the Mac. So, IF you want to install it somewhere else besides your Mac's startup disk, you would select it.

But, in this case (given that one wants to install it on the Mac's startup drive), you can just continue with the installation. Real simple!

honestone #40508 05/17/16 04:09 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks that helps, I would never know or guess until that situation!

Then once you have the OS up, you go to migration tool, and pull everything from the clone or Time Machine....

kevs #40512 05/17/16 09:56 AM

If you are installing a virgin OS on the drive (meaning that the drive was empty), Setup Assistant (equivalent to Migration Assistant) launches immediately when the drive boots. At that point, select either the clone or Time Machine and let it import everything. Don't set up any accounts before you do this. Setup Assistant will bring everything over to the new system and it will look just like the one being imported.

Read Set up your new Mac and If the Mac setup assistant says that your user account already exists, just in case. It's much easier to use SU than to set up new accounts and then use MA.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40515 05/17/16 03:16 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
If you are installing a virgin OS on the drive (meaning that the drive was empty), Setup Assistant (equivalent to Migration Assistant) launches immediately when the drive boots. At that point, select either the clone or Time Machine and let it import everything. Don't set up any accounts before you do this. Setup Assistant will bring everything over to the new system and it will look just like the one being imported.

Read Set up your new Mac and If the Mac setup assistant says that your user account already exists, just in case. It's much easier to use SU than to set up new accounts and then use MA.

Exactly. That same process also works for migrating/importing needed "stuff" from an SD (or, I suspect, a CCC) backup/clone.

Last edited by honestone; 05/17/16 03:17 PM.
honestone #40517 05/17/16 03:26 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, yesterday, the set up came up and I think it was asking for Name etc, I quit, as I'm going to sell it. But migration then is easier, as it does not ask, you just migrate and don't have to deal with all that user stuff right?

The second link was confusing about starting a new account. Why would I have to do that? I want to keep my old info...

kevs #40520 05/17/16 04:34 PM

The second link only applies if you have already set up an account and wanted to migrate from another computer, which is what you want to avoid if possible. Since you are going to sell, you did the right thing. The next owner should have a pristine OS.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40534 05/17/16 11:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, you say avoid migration tool? I used it from new computer via old one and it went ok, except for the screwed up progress bar saying 50 hours to go when it was only a few.

An apple tech walked me through. We had migration assistant on both machines. Two machines, two monitors, but it would work with just one machine and an external hard drive?

kevs #40536 05/18/16 01:28 AM

I'm not saying that you should avoid Migration Assistant, just that it's easier to use Setup Assistant with a virgin OS because you won't be messing with accounts that are have been already set up. Either one works with one machine and an external hard drive.

Jon

jchuzi #40538 05/18/16 03:22 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Jon, isn't it the other way around, with migration, you have your account for 6 years, and you transfer it over without having to enter anything... no keystrokes for user name or password...?

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard