FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Antivirus and copy conflict
joemikeb #40415 05/11/16 11:46 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
TIME MACHINE BACKUPS ARE NOT BOOTABLE but you can restore your system from a Time Machine backup by booting from the Recovery Drive.

When you boot from the Recovery Drive you have four options available…
[including]
Restore from a Time Machine Backup. This literally copies your system from the Time Machine backup to the hard drive and you can choose to restore from any point in time. (Emphasis added)

Thanks for setting the record straight.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
joemikeb #40416 05/12/16 03:21 AM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: honestone
I do though still use TechTool Pro to perform File Optimization.
File optimization is no longer recommended for exactly the same reasons volume optimization is no longer recommended. It causes unnecessary write operations that contribute to the early demise of SSDs and has no noticeable effect on performance.

Hmm, did not know that! Thanks for the tip. That saves me some time when I use TechTool Pro's features.

kevs #40435 05/13/16 02:40 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Final question H,/ and or Joe, what it better in crisis, if you erase you Mac hardrive: Doing a clone back from a bootable drive or using migration assistant? Are they the same effectiveness? Or are they perfectly equal?

kevs #40436 05/13/16 02:57 PM

They should be equal in terms of recovering data but cloning back is probably faster. That's the way I would go (and I have done it a few times).

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40437 05/13/16 03:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, I was wondering that maybe migration is not as good. Maybe itunes or other links wont work as good as a pure clone back.

But if you have SD then you don't want to clone back right? You want to download the OS and then do migration? To get that recovery drive?

BTW, if disk utility see issues that it cannot fix, and then you try Disc Warrior or tech tool, and it does not dix it, then erasing wont help probably, you need a new drive?

kevs #40439 05/13/16 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
BTW, if disk utility see issues that it cannot fix, and then you try Disc Warrior or tech tool, and it does not dix it, then erasing wont help probably, you need a new drive?

Nope. If none of the utilities work, then nuke and pave, i.e. erase and reinstall, is the way you want to go.

If that doesn't help, then your drive becomes a prime suspect.

(By the way, the most obvious symptoms of a bad HDD are no longer issues with SSDs, so what particular symptoms are we looking for now?)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
jchuzi #40440 05/13/16 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
They should be equal in terms of recovering data but cloning back is probably faster. That's the way I would go (and I have done it a few times).

I seem to have better success with preservation of data when I nuke, pave, and migrate than when I restore from a clone.

Do you have any experience in that regard?

artie505 #40442 05/13/16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505

I seem to have better success with preservation of data when I nuke, pave, and migrate than when I restore from a clone.

Do you have any experience in that regard?
No, I have never done it.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
artie505 #40443 05/13/16 03:44 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Artie, I'm just trying to get my head around for the future.

Migration assistant has done very well for you? Just as good as Cloning back a bootable drive?

And does it happen that DU and even Discwarrior Techtool, cannot fix a drive, but erasing it solves whatever issues was there? Sometimes you don't have to replace the drive?

kevs #40444 05/13/16 03:47 PM

Thanks Jon, I was wondering that maybe migration is not as good. Maybe itunes or other links wont work as good as a pure clone back.

But if you have SD then you don't want to clone back right? You want to download the OS and then do migration? To get that recovery drive?

You have a point about the recovery drive. That's one reason why I switched from SD to CCC as my cloning app of choice. The other, more important, was that an El Cap clone made with SD wasn't bootable, although it was supposed to be (and Dave Nanian, the tech support guy, couldn't solve it either). CCC has worked flawlessly for me.

Jon

kevs #40445 05/13/16 04:00 PM

Thanks Artie, I'm just trying to get my head around for the future.

Migration assistant has done very well for you? Just as good as Cloning back a bootable drive?

And does it happen that DU and even Discwarrior Techtool, cannot fix a drive, but erasing it solves whatever issues was there? Sometimes you don't have to replace the drive?

I prefer nuke & pave because it gives me a clean OS; it does take more time than restoring from a clone, but I always feel like I've got a "snappier" system after I've done it.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that in my memory of 10+ years of MFIF and FTM, far more issues have been resolved by reinstalling OS X than by replacing drives.

OS X can go bad in myriad ways that have nothing to do with the drive on which it's installed, but there are only a few specific sets of circumstances that indicate a bad drive...probably even less with the advent of SSDs, and, as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what symptoms indicate a bad SSD.

jchuzi #40447 05/13/16 04:10 PM

You have a point about the recovery drive. That's one reason why I switched from SD to CCC as my cloning app of choice. The other, more important, was that an El Cap clone made with SD wasn't bootable, although it was supposed to be (and Dave Nanian, the tech support guy, couldn't solve it either). CCC has worked flawlessly for me.

What's the point of using SD if it can't produce a bootable clone and won't be there for you in case of an emergency? (I thought that issue had been resolved.)

kevs #40448 05/13/16 04:14 PM

I can't answer for Jon, but that has not been my experience. The only link problem I have ever had was when I moved the iTunes library to another drive but that was a self-induced problem. Recovering from a clone is less time consuming however.

My reason for having a clone is not as a backup rather it is lodged in my firm belief in McGillicuddy's corollary to Murphy's law, If any thing can go wrong it will and at the worst possible time. If I am facing a deadline and have a failure, I can work from the clone to complete the project and worry about recovering the system later.

Unless there is a failure of the drive mechanism you should not lose the Recovery Drive, but in the event of a complete mechanical drive failure, while there are other ways of creating a Recovery Drive, what you suggest is by far the easiest and most reliable. Besides that you end up with the latest release of OS X. 🤓

• Disk Utility, Diskwarrior, TechTool Pro, and Drive Genius can repair damage to the volume structure of a drive that is the directory and file structure. (That used to be a far more common problem than it is with the latest versions of OS X. I have not seen an instance of that in years.)
  • Although it has improved significantly over the years Disk Utility is not particularly robust at repairing volume structure errors that Diskwarrior, TechTool Pro, or Drive Genius can repair.
  • There are also situations where Diskwarrior, TechTool Pro, and Drive Genius may fail but one of the other in the triumvirate may be able to repair and contrary to popular belief even Diskwarrior is not infallible.
  • Erasing the disk does not repair the volume structure, it replaces the directory with a new empty directory which IS infallible except
    • you lose the entire contents of the drive and
    • It cannot and does not correct for mechanical drive failure
  • TechTool Pro and Drive Genius can perform a surface scan of a drive which does two good things
    • identifies any new bad data sectors found on the drive which in the case of an HD is the most reliable indicator of impending mechanical drive failure ie. the magnetic media is flaking off the surface of the drive platters and
    • will force the drive mechanism to remap any bad sectors found to spare sectors that are on the drive for that specific purpose
  • The presence of new bad data sectors on an HD are an indication that it is time to
    • Get very serious about backups
    • start shopping for a new SSD or HD.

Last edited by joemikeb; 05/13/16 04:20 PM. Reason: even I couldn't understand it

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #40449 05/13/16 04:26 PM

Related to the original title of this post, a study done by Concordia University says that anti-virus software can actually make you less safe from viruses.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
jchuzi #40452 05/13/16 05:00 PM
Banned
Banned

You have a point about the recovery drive. That's one reason why I switched from SD to CCC as my cloning app of choice.

Regarding the Recovery Drive, if one does not have the file "Install OS X "whatever OS"" contained within the SD backup, then yes, the Recovery Drive will not be there upon a "complete" SD restore. But, I have the file "Install OS X El Capitan" on both of my SD backups/clones (for each of my machines), and hence if I do a complete SD recovery, I can easily re-create the Recovery HD partition. As jchuzi so correctly states, that is the fastest way to do a restore, and be back in business quickly.

The other thing I can do, especially with having that file on the SD backup, is that after I boot my Mac to that SD clone, use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD on my Mac, then run the "Install OS X El Capitan" installer to get a fresh, "virgin" El Capitan OS, re-boot my machine from the internal SSD, and use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all the needed "stuff" from the SD clone. Of course that method also re-creates the Recovery HD partition (which I really don't need, given that I have TechToo, Pro and the file "Install OS X El Capitan").

The other, more important, was that an El Cap clone made with SD wasn't bootable, although it was supposed to be (and Dave Nanian, the tech support guy, couldn't solve it either). CCC has worked flawlessly for me.

That is false! After I read that, I quit Chrome, went to System Preferences, selected my SD clone/backup I created last week to restart my Mac MIni. and it successfully restarted from that SD backup/clone. It was slow (via a Firewire 800 connection to an external Seagate 7200 rpm drive), but it worked (I have done this previously also). And in fact, I verified that it worked after OS 10.11.1 was released (see below why I waited until OS 10.11., instead of first going with OS 10.11). So, I am unclear where this false stuff is coming from.

When El Capitan first came out, SD was made compatible with it, and in fact, it is one of my required products that need to be compatible before I upgrade to a new OS (the others are Office 2011, Onyx, 1Password, and TechTool Pro; in fact, I actually upgraded from OS 10.10.5 to OS 10.11.1, as 1) TechTool Pro and Onyx were not initially compatible with OS 10.11, and 2) a beta for OS 10.11.1 first appeared in August 2015, almost a full 2 months before OS 10.11).

I am still planning on purchasing a 512 gig SSD to place inside an external case, and I will use that for backups. But, as I had previously posted, I still can't find an inexpensive, slim external case that has a Firewire 800 interface. For now though, my two external 7200 RPM drives I have (with Seagate mechanisms) are good enough (for my mid 2013 Mac Book Air, I have a Thunderbolt-to-Firewire 800 connector/adapter, which works real well).

Last edited by honestone; 05/13/16 05:10 PM.
artie505 #40453 05/13/16 05:25 PM
Banned
Banned

What's the point of using SD if it can't produce a bootable clone and won't be there for you in case of an emergency? (I thought that issue had been resolved.)

Exactly! But, as I mentioned in my post above, the notion that one cannot boot their Mac from a "El Capitan" SD backup/clone is definitely false. The version of SuperDuper! that came out right before OS 10.11 was released has always worked fine.

honestone #40454 05/13/16 05:33 PM

Yes, I know that SD should work well with El Capitan. Whatever the reason, I was unable to produce a bootable clone although you, and many others, report no issue. I finally gave up and bought CCC.

Jon

jchuzi #40455 05/13/16 06:11 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks everyone, great posts/ and info.

Ok, I'm leaning to in emergency: use DU, then go online from the clone drive to : Tech Tool, Drive Genius,DW ... (in that order, cheapest to most expensive), and if none on those work:

Erase, and install the current OS, then use migration assistant.

Artie says having the pure OS is the way to go.

My SD backups, have been bootable and working ok, I'm open to CCC, but from info here and what I just outlined (thanks H for info), could stay with SD fine.

Question H: I do have install El Capitan in my apps folder on my desktop. I'm not sure why it's there. I did the download the other day and got a bit scared and quit when it said, "you already have installed", maybe it downloaded anyway? Or was there somehow otherwise.

Today, I did the download ElCapitan, to laptop, but nothing downloaded. Am I doing something wrong? I saw translucent wheel spinning in the upper left of App store window, but no progress bar and no download upon completion. How does this work exactly? progress bar, how long take, And does it matter later that your downloaded version may not be the most up to date later? I suppose you can the just update the OS at that point?

(also, I could just copy the Install El Capitan in my desktop app folder to the app folder of the laptop..?) Thanks.

jchuzi #40456 05/13/16 06:22 PM
Banned
Banned

Yes, I know that SD should work well with El Capitan. Whatever the reason, I was unable to produce a bootable clone although you, and many others, report no issue. I finally gave up and bought CCC.

You are actually the first person I have heard that had an issue. As I stated, the version of SD that came out right before OS 10.11 was released, v2.8 (back on September 20th), worked right away with El Capitan. As I also mentioned, I did not actually move to El Capitan until V10.11.1 was released at the end of October 2015, and SuperDuper! worked fine with it.

I had recently read that OS 10.12 will be arriving in the fall (http://www.macrumors.com/roundup/os-x-10-12/). What I will do, after insuring that my 5 critical applications work with OS 10.12, is to:

1. Install all necessary software updates for OS 10.12 compatibility (maybe will need to do some of those after installing OS 10.12 in step 6 below).

2. Download the file "Install OS X "(whatever name)"" from the App Store.

3. Go through my weekly disk cleanup/maintenance/repairs, and backup processing for both of my Macs. (This will also insure that I have the file for OS 10.12 "Install OS X ..." on each SD backup/clone.

4. Boot my Mac to that SD backup/clone.

5. Use Disk Utility there to Erase and Format the internal SSD on each of my machines.

6. Run the OS 10.12 "Install OS X ..." installer, creating a fresh, virgin OS 10.12 OS system. That of course will create the OS 10.12 Recovery HD partition (even though I don't need it, unless something drastically changes with TechTool pro).

7. Restart each of my machines from OS 10.12.

8. Use Migration Assistant to "migrate"/copy all the "needed stuff" from the SD backup/clone.

Then, away I go!

kevs #40457 05/13/16 06:29 PM
Banned
Banned

(also, I could just copy the Install El Capitan in my desktop app folder to the app folder of the laptop..?) Thanks.

Yes, you can. Then, and this is critical, copy that "install OS X El Capitan" file to another folder/location. In fact, make sure it is on your SD backup/clone, again in another location (I have a folder entitled "OS 10.11 & Upgrades" in a separate location on my SSD, and it of course winds up in the same location on the SD backup/clone). The reason is, once you run "Install OS X El Capitan" from the Applications Folder, it gets deleted. But, that does not happen running it from anywhere else. (the same will be true for any future OS X (OS 10.12 coming in the fall)).

Last edited by honestone; 05/13/16 06:30 PM.
artie505 #40458 05/13/16 07:20 PM

...as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what symptoms indicate a bad SSD.

As far as I know there has been no scientific study of SSD failure equivalent to Google Labs landmark study of HD failure that identified new bad data blocks as the best indicator of impending failure and at the same time pointed out S.M.A.R.T. testing was nearly useless because of the manufacturer's tendency to bias the failure levels so high they do not indicate anything short of total failure.

However, S.M.A.R.T. is built into SSDs as well as HDs and using a tool such as TechTool Pro 8, which reports each of the individual S.M.A.R.T. tests and not just the summary pass/fail results reported by Disk Utility, Drive Genius, and a host of other utilities. As with HDs not all drives report all the various S.M.A.R.T. values but viewed with an informed eye there are values or value trends that could be indicative of drive health such as Total Bad Blocks, Wear Leveling count, Used Reserve Block Count, Reallocation Event Count, Program Fail Count, and Erase fail count that can be informative. (FWIW those are among the thirty individual S.M.A.R.T. values reported by the OWC Mercure Electra SSD in TechTool Pro 8.)

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40459 05/13/16 09:55 PM
Banned
Banned

...as a matter of fact, I'm not even sure what symptoms indicate a bad SSD.

As far as I know there has been no scientific study of SSD failure equivalent to Google Labs landmark study of HD failure that identified new bad data blocks as the best indicator of impending failure and at the same time pointed out S.M.A.R.T. testing was nearly useless because of the manufacturer's tendency to bias the failure levels so high they do not indicate anything short of total failure.

However, S.M.A.R.T. is built into SSDs as well as HDs and using a tool such as TechTool Pro 8, which reports each of the individual S.M.A.R.T. tests and not just the summary pass/fail results reported by Disk Utility, Drive Genius, and a host of other utilities. As with HDs not all drives report all the various S.M.A.R.T. values but viewed with an informed eye there are values or value trends that could be indicative of drive health such as Total Bad Blocks, Wear Leveling count, Used Reserve Block Count, Reallocation Event Count, Program Fail Count, and Erase fail count that can be informative. (FWIW those are among the thirty individual S.M.A.R.T. values reported by the OWC Mercure Electra SSD in TechTool Pro 8.)

Thanks for the detailed information about S.M.A.R.T. I will definitely look at the results of using the S.M.A.R.T. feature of TechTool Pro.

(BTW, an update for TechTool Pro, v8.0.4, just came out. I downloaded and installed it, just completed my weekly "disk" tasks, and as expected, it worked like a charm!)

joemikeb #40461 05/14/16 07:57 AM

However, S.M.A.R.T. is built into SSDs as well as HDs and using a tool such as TechTool Pro 8....

With all the talk about TTP I decided to fire up my v 6 to see if its disk checking functions, surface scan and S.M.A.R.T. test, still run in El Cap on my Mid 2015 MBP as they did on my Mid 2010 MBP, and I found that it launches and immediately freezes.

I wonder what changed?

artie505 #40462 05/14/16 01:12 PM

I wonder what changed?

Either a Unix command or an API (Applications Program Interface) used in TTP 6 is the most likely culprit. However Micromat NEVER condones using any version of TTP that has not been thoroughly vetted for the upgrade version of OS X you are running. Update versions are generally okay however.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40463 05/14/16 02:57 PM

I wonder what changed?

Either a Unix command or an API (Applications Program Interface) used in TTP 6 is the most likely culprit. However Micromat NEVER condones using any version of TTP that has not been thoroughly vetted for the upgrade version of OS X you are running. Update versions are generally okay however.

Thanks.

I wouldn't have guessed that anything that changed with a machine upgrade would affect an app's running.

I got the same pop-up when I launched TTP on my 2015 machine as I had previously gotten on my 2010 machine, and the only reason I even tried on either is that it's been posted here (by you, I think) that it was really only the OS X testing portions of TTP that were in question but that the disk testing portions were OK to run.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, dkmarsh 

Link Copied to Clipboard