FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 40 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
grelber #40278 05/05/16 02:23 PM

RE Earls in Canada opting out of Canadian beef:
It took less than a week for them to recant and reverse their stance.

alternaut #40279 05/05/16 02:26 PM

Originally Posted By: alternaut
* What with ryck’s and my post now following yours, the issue is pretty much moot.

Still, your observations are worthwhile. Glad you made them.

ryck #40282 05/05/16 04:07 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: ryck

Contention? I suggested that California wasn't necessarily a shoo-in for Trump, given the unknown factor of where the Cruz votes would go. And, I still stand by that speculation.

The fact that there will now not be a competition doesn't provide a single iota of support for your contention that Trump would easily win California, so you can hang onto your "Not to say I told you so" for another time.

And I stand by my original contention, that Trump will win California. That was just as valid before Cruz and Kasich bowed out. Similar stuff was spewed out about Indiana (http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/politics/primary-results-takeaways/), and look how Trump trounched BOTH of them there.

You have missed the point entirely.

I fully understand that Trump has paid his way to date. However, the amount he will need for an election campaign (and the PR side of things) far exceeds anything he has spent so far. He may be reluctant to reach that far into his own pocket and, absent any additional funding, that will place him in a tough spot.

No, I understood perfectly what you said. Such a scenario you are stating just goes back to the other point, about the Republican party just giving up.

Yes, and I think it's entirely possible in a party that is already split by factors like the Tea Party. Add to that the fact that Trump has only averaged 40% of the Republican vote in the primaries, so a majority of the party already opposes him.

Once again though, things can change, and I just point again to the fact about how Trump rose from such an underdog last June to winning the nomination. And, if Hillary suffers any more damage from the EMail "issue", that will surely help Trump.

Last edited by honestone; 05/05/16 04:10 PM.
artie505 #40284 05/05/16 04:38 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: artie505
Quote:
Now, he is the TOP dog!

Correction... Now he is the top DOG!

(Hopefully there aren't enough canines registered to vote to get him elected.)

Correction, and even better: TOP DOG!

And, there are plenty of "canines" out there who are really just voters, and could help to put him in office.

Last edited by honestone; 05/05/16 06:20 PM.
honestone #40285 05/05/16 08:32 PM

TOP DOG as you like it, but only in the mad-dog wing of the kennel!

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40287 05/05/16 10:51 PM
Banned
Banned

TOP DOG as you like it, but only in the mad-dog wing of the kennel!

Those "folks" in the mad-dog wing will come after, and devour, sneaky cat folks, as you like it.

honestone #40288 05/06/16 12:47 AM

confused

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
honestone #40292 05/06/16 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: honestone
Also, if the Republican "establishment" stops the nomination of Trump, the party will definitely be fractured this election cycle.

IMHO that horse has long since left the barn. There's no fixing that this cycle.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #40321 05/07/16 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Virtual1
Also, if the Republican "establishment" stops the nomination of Trump, the party will definitely be fractured this election cycle.

IMHO that horse has long since left the barn. There's no fixing that this cycle.

Yup….and some prominent Republicans figure the party will be fractured if he isn't stopped.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #40322 05/07/16 01:49 PM

Yup….and some prominent Republicans figure the party will be fractured if he isn't stopped.

And from our perspective resolution of issues/disputes such as softwood lumber and COOL goes down straight down the toilet.
The American insanity will definitively and negatively impact both Canadian and American workers. Keep an eye or an ear on CBC News.

ryck #40325 05/07/16 02:53 PM
Banned
Banned

Such folks need to wake up and smell the roses, as it's too late. He has the nomination clinched.

honestone #40327 05/07/16 03:01 PM

...and in further news, this recent interview.

Jeff Dunham's "Walter" is Politically Unbalanced.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
honestone #40328 05/07/16 03:20 PM

Such folks need to wake up and smell the roses, as it's too late. He has the nomination clinched.

The point was not about whether or not Trump has the nomination clinched (That's been in all the papers), it was about the effect on the Republican party. It's very clear that a lot of senior Republicans are very, very worried. To quote Peter Wehner, former speech writer for George W. Bush and a lifelong Republican:

"They've nominated a person who is a pernicious force in American politics. Someone who is not conservative, who's misogynist, who's xenophobic, who's nativist, who's incredibly shallow, who's vindictive, who is, I think, emotionally unstable. I think he's obsessive, I think he's a threat to the Republican Party and the republic."

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #40329 05/07/16 03:26 PM

To quote Peter Wehner, former speech writer for George W. Bush and a lifelong Republican:
"They've nominated a person who is a pernicious force in American politics. Someone who is not conservative, who's misogynist, who's xenophobic, who's nativist, who's incredibly shallow, who's vindictive, who is, I think, emotionally unstable. I think he's obsessive, I think he's a threat to the Republican Party and the republic."

What's your point? confused
Given that he's all of those things, what does that say about the electorate that put him in that position? Clearly he's not along in being all those things. And that is the truly scary, Freddy Krueger thing.

grelber #40330 05/07/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
What's your point? confused

Again, the point is that senior Republicans (and probably a lot of everyday Republicans) view Trump as a threat to their party.

Given that he's all of those things, what does that say about the electorate that put him in that position?

Probably similar to the things it says about other electorates:

e.g. The one that gave George W. Bush a second term.

e.g. The Canadian electorate that kept a dictatorial Prime Minister in office for ten years.

Et cetera.

However, in this case (getting back to the point), there is a very real chance that the nominee can bring down the party itself.

Last edited by ryck; 05/07/16 03:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #40333 05/07/16 04:05 PM

...what does that say about the electorate that put him in that position? Clearly he's not along in being all those things. And that is the truly scary, Freddy Krueger thing.

That's precisely what I had in mind when I suggested the horrifying possibility of his building an organization.

Edit: Trump has given the stupidest, most ignorant, indeed, the ugliest part of America a banner to rally around!

Last edited by artie505; 05/07/16 04:20 PM.

grelber #40334 05/07/16 04:27 PM

Quote:
...what does that say about the electorate that put him in that position?

Well, it says that those who've voted for Trump in the Republican primaries to date—a bit less than 11 million people, or roughly 7% of the registered electorate—preferred Trump to whomever else was running in their state at the time. Roughly 15 million voters (10%) preferred other Republican candidates, and 23 million or so (16%) voted in Democratic primaries.

About the other two-thirds of the electorate, not much can be claimed.

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
ryck #40338 05/07/16 07:47 PM
Banned
Banned

(That's been in all the papers)

Obviously, a number of folks do not read the papers. But, it was also loudly stated by the voters through the primaries.

The point was not about whether or not Trump has the nomination clinched , it was about the effect on the Republican party. It's very clear that a lot of senior Republicans are very, very worried. To quote Peter Wehner, former speech writer for George W. Bush and a lifelong Republican:

Don't think he is all that, but he definitely is stating things that the folks are so pissed off about: the political and underhanded BS that goes on in DC, along with so little, if anything, getting accomplished. Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade in balance, and the wall that MUST be built.

ryck #40339 05/07/16 07:51 PM
Banned
Banned

Given that he's all of those things, what does that say about the electorate that put him in that position?

That they are sick and tired of all the political BS that goes on, and that nothing gets accomplished.

ryck #40340 05/07/16 08:01 PM
Banned
Banned

However, in this case (getting back to the point), there is a very real chance that the nominee can bring down the party itself.

That's the fault of the party, not Trump. The smart thing for them to do would be to rally around him, and support him (as they should). If not, then as I have stated before, they would be giving up the election to Hillary, and creating an opening for her to get in.

honestone #40343 05/07/16 09:06 PM

Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade [imbalance], and the wall that MUST be built.

Yes indeed ... along the northern border to keep American riffraff out. mad crazy

honestone #40345 05/07/16 09:22 PM

Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade in balance, and the wall that MUST be built.

Hmmm... If trade is truly in balance America has got absolutely no problems. wink tongue

After the wall is built there'll be any number of job opportunities for you and your wife and kids in my neighborhood...sorting fruit, cleaning homes, stocking shelves, and many, many more. (And maybe there should be a second wall to keep out the foreigners Trump imports to work at Lago Del Mar because the American workers who so ardently support him either aren't capable of doing the job or aren't willing to do it cheaply enough.)

artie505 #40346 05/07/16 09:53 PM
Banned
Banned

Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade in balance, and the wall that MUST be built.

Hmmm... If trade is truly in balance America has got absolutely no problems. wink tongue

Meant trade imbalance.

After the wall is built there'll be any number of job opportunities for you and your wife and kids in my neighborhood...sorting fruit, cleaning homes, stocking shelves, and many, many more. (And maybe there should be a second wall to keep out the foreigners Trump imports to work at Lago Del Mar because the American workers who so ardently support him either aren't capable of doing the job or aren't willing to do it cheaply enough.)

I can lead you on to such jobs for you, your wife, and kids, and that would be a step up from what all of you are doing now.

Last edited by honestone; 05/07/16 09:54 PM.
grelber #40347 05/07/16 09:54 PM
Banned
Banned

Plus, he is definitely right on about the trade [imbalance], and the wall that MUST be built.

Yes indeed ... along the northern border to keep American riffraff out. mad crazy

Meant imbalance.

And, besides a southern wall, build a northern one also, to keep the Canadian jerks out.

honestone #40352 05/08/16 12:10 AM

I know we all feel strongly about our political positions, but the hostile and demeaning remarks being passed here are inappropriate and unacceptable.

Everyone just step back, take a deep breath and count to ten.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
Page 12 of 40 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard