FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 40 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
ryck #39339 03/08/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: ryck
We sat back for 10 years while PM Stephen Harper hijacked the will of the people in favour of his friends in business.

I made out OK.

... it still doesn't mean there's humour in shadenfreude.

Au contraire. In fact, that's the definition of schadenfreude: "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune."

Ah luvs it! grin

grelber #39342 03/08/16 05:08 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Anyone who seriously contemplates voting for Trump should read Donald the Dangerous.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39347 03/08/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: jchuzi
Anyone who seriously contemplates voting for Trump should read Donald the Dangerous.

One should also read Mein Kampf (preferably the new, annotated version) to see the familiarly incoherent ramblings of a similar malcontent.

grelber #39349 03/08/16 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber
We sat back for 10 years while PM Stephen Harper hijacked the will of the people in favour of his friends in business.

I made out OK.

Thousands of seniors without proper housing, all the children living below the poverty line, and those who can't get timely healthcare, et cetera, didn't make out OK. However you did, so good for you.

... it still doesn't mean there's humour in shadenfreude.

Au contraire. In fact, that's the definition of schadenfreude: "pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune."

I have a reasonable facility with English and yet I don't see anything in the definition to support your contention that deriving pleasure from another person's misfortune is humourous.

Ah luvs it! grin

Of course. I wasn't expecting otherwise.

Last edited by ryck; 03/08/16 06:15 PM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39354 03/08/16 09:23 PM

I have a reasonable facility with English and yet I don't see anything in the definition to support your contention that deriving pleasure from another person's misfortune is humourous.
Ah luvs it! grin

Of course. I wasn't expecting otherwise.

Minor (I hope) misunderstanding: I was referring to the candidates and their supporters, and all the schmucks who ground the democratic process to a standstill in Washington (and by extension the entire Republican Party over the past 8 years) — as noted in Post #39337.
Let's leave it that. (I dislike flames, implicit or otherwise.)

joemikeb #39365 03/09/16 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
....to quote a current GOP Presidential front runner, "The New York Times is a failed anachronism and has no meaning in today's world." His words, definitely not mine.

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Of course, a year from now, the same will likely be true of the current GOP Presidential front runner.

Or...........

Trump may be gone long before then. I don't think he ever wanted to be President, and his position in the polls is an unwanted turn of events in his real plan....which was simply to get into the race long enough to enhance his "brand".

That was back in December. This week, I have a crow and potatoes in the oven. I wonder what other vegetable I need on the side?

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39371 03/10/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
The Koch Brothers don't seem all that high on Cruz either, and what they've got in mind for the convention is anyone's guess...

And now, Apple joins the fray.

It seems to me that this is a perfect example what the American electorate has been saying they want to be rid of - big money and back room deals hijacking the will of the people.

I was reminded of the above when I saw this quote today in the front of Jane Mayer's new book "Dark Money":

"We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."

Louis Brandeis

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #39374 03/11/16 09:10 AM

Googling Is Believing: Trumping the Informed Citizen
The Big Media threat that worried Noam Chomsky 30 years ago has been replaced by a new one, manufactured by us.

grelber #39375 03/11/16 11:07 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Although present media were absent in Mark Twain's time, he did have a relevant quip: "If you do not read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read it, you are misinformed."

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #39379 03/11/16 04:12 PM

Although present media were absent in Mark Twain's time, he did have a relevant quip: "If you do not read the newspaper, you are uninformed. If you do read it, you are misinformed."

Samual Clemens was an accurate reporter of the human condition and new technologies and media not withstanding his observations are still all too true.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
ryck #39441 03/14/16 12:10 PM

....to quote a current GOP Presidential front runner, "The New York Times is a failed anachronism and has no meaning in today's world." His words, definitely not mine.

Originally Posted By: dkmarsh
Of course, a year from now, the same will likely be true of the current GOP Presidential front runner.

Or...........

Trump may be gone long before then. I don't think he ever wanted to be President, and his position in the polls is an unwanted turn of events in his real plan....which was simply to get into the race long enough to enhance his "brand".

That was back in December. This week, I have a crow and potatoes in the oven. I wonder what other vegetable I need on the side?

Salt lightly with a Republican's tears

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
grelber #39496 03/15/16 09:43 AM

Harking back to my earlier post* about history repeating itself ...
To see history repeating itself, check out:
New Popular Idol Rises in Bavaria (The New York Times, November 21, 1922).

After the contretemps at Trump's attempts at rallies in Chicago, Kansas City, etc, the descriptions attendant on same could be exactly those in the 1922 article, albeit sans blackjacks and revolvers (at least for now).

(* It seems that the article is no longer available at the link provided, so it may have to be requested from the NYT's archive on an individual basis, if you didn't catch it earlier.)

And the only thing "cerebral" about Tromp are the parasites lurking and feeding therein which may be the only salvation in the current political morass. Eat away, my lovelies, until there's nothing left but drool.

grelber #39541 03/17/16 07:34 AM

With President Obama's nomination of Merrick B. Garland, a centrist appeals court judge, Senate Republicans refuse to consider the president’s choice, even though they respect him.

And still the Republicans can't see the forest for the trees, ie, can't see that their obstructionist behavior in the democratic process fuels the fire which has elevated Tromp to point of destroying the party.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! crazy tongue Ah well, stupid is as stupid does.
(Spiro would have called them effete. Barry would have just shaken his head and sighed.)

grelber #39548 03/18/16 07:25 AM

Nominee Visits Tense Capitol as GOP Digs In Against Vote
Brushing aside stirrings of defections in their ranks, GOP leaders vowed that they would not hold hearings or a confirmation vote for Judge Merrick B. Garland this year even if a Democrat wins the White House in November.

To call GOP leaders a-holes does a major disservice (ie, is really insulting) to a-holes. mad
Every move they make to destroy democracy demeans their essence within and without the country. Small wonder Tromp is in the ascendancy ... of what I'm not quite sure.
At the end of the day everyone loses. frown

grelber #39549 03/18/16 08:33 AM

They're hoist, because it's consistent with their position that the people should speak, and they're stuck with extending it to the possibility of Hillary carrying the Senate.

They can actually be considered to look good in this instance in their own dumb-ass way. (Hmmm... It would be interesting to see what Obama would do if they try to do a 360 if there's a new Democratic Prez and Senate come November.)

I'm willing to trade a few more months of an 8 Justice Court for a nominee selected and parsed entirely by Democrats.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39550 03/18/16 12:27 PM

They're hoist, because it's consistent with their position that the people should speak, ....

Not to put to fine a point on it, but the people did speak: they elected Obama to the presidency ... twice.

grelber #39551 03/18/16 12:56 PM

They're hoist, because it's consistent with their position that the people should speak, ....

Not to put to fine a point on it, but the people did speak: they elected Obama to the presidency ... twice.

Well, yeah, but that doesn't count! crazy

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #39552 03/18/16 01:16 PM

Well, yeah, but that doesn't count! crazy

Of course not, Mitch. smirk

grelber #39553 03/18/16 01:17 PM

Another pet peeve is the incorrect use of the term "lame duck".
The correct definition is: an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor. In the case of the US presidency this time around that's a period of 73 days.

grelber #39569 03/21/16 12:20 PM

Another pet peeve is the incorrect use of the term "lame duck".
The correct definition is: an official (especially the president) in the final period of office, after the election of a successor. In the case of the US presidency this time around that's a period of 73 days.

I'm glad to hear that from someone else, Iwas wondering if I was the only one that caught that. Though it seems to apply better to presidents that served one term and did not win re-election for their second term, particularly (and typically) when the elected is of the opposing party.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
grelber #39599 03/22/16 09:09 AM

An article in today's New York Times could, mutatis mutandis, describe Tromp and his campaign:

Parrots Are a Lot More Than ‘Pretty Bird’
Out of the cage, they speak their own language, make tools, and wreak havoc on plants and researchers’ efforts alike.

At this point the only media coverage (not 'news' coverage, mind you, because it ain't 'news') of/on Tromp I can abide is that provided via The Daily Show with Trevor Noah. Otherwise I just tune out and go to my happy place.

jchuzi #39723 03/29/16 04:45 PM

Trump wants database to track Muslims in US; Carson compares Syrian refugees to rabid dogs If either of these turkeys wins the election, I'm moving to Canada.

Don't slow down as you approach the border or I might leave footprints on your back. shocked

You may find there's a line.

According to the Sunday issue of the Montreal Gazette, "Google searches for “how to move from the U.S. to Canada” soared by over 1,000 per cent in the week following the recent Super Tuesday primaries that Donald Trump dominated."

The Gazette also noted, "One U.S. poll last week found 28 per cent of Americans would consider moving to Canada if Trump becomes president."

Last edited by ryck; 03/29/16 06:09 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #39725 03/29/16 07:15 PM

Similar article:

Originally Posted By: Wahington Post
“Move to Canada” searches on Google spiked more than 1,000 percent this week...

It goes on to say
Originally Posted By: Washington Post
...Plenty of American expats — about a million, according to the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City — have moved south of the border.

I met one of them on Isla Mujeres last year. He raved about the health-care system, his house in the “Beverly Hills” section of the island and how much he dislikes his grandchildren in Connecticut..

Looks like Canada will be competing for those seeking political asylum.

slolerner #39734 03/29/16 11:47 PM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

Here's a journalist's take on the Trump candidacy: My Shared Shame: The Media Helped Make Trump

Jon

jchuzi #39970 04/17/16 12:57 AM
jchuzi Online OP
OP Online

It had to happen: There is now a term for having totally unacceptable candidates running for President, namely Electile Dysfunction. shocked

Jon

Page 9 of 40 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard