Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 40 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 39 40
Re: Our next president?!!
ryck #40225 05/04/16 12:21 AM
jchuzi Offline OP
OP Offline

In case anyone still thinks that Trump is less than an unmitigated disaster, read Trump repeats unsubstantiated claim that Cruz’s father had ties to JFK assassin Oswald. Of particular "interest" is that he bases many of his claims on material printed by the National Enquirer.

Is this the way a president should get his information? Maybe he'll try to rescue Elvis and Marilyn from Mars after they were kidnapped by space aliens and imprisoned there.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40227 05/04/16 12:48 AM

To use the words of CBS, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz ended his campaign for the Republican nomination Tuesday night, effectively ensuring Donald Trump will become the GOP's standard-bearer in 2016. .

Wow.

Last edited by ryck; 05/04/16 12:49 AM.

ryck

"What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits" The Doobie Brothers

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
Canon Pixma TR 8520 Printer
Epson Perfection V500 Photo Scanner c/w VueScan software
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
jchuzi #40229 05/04/16 12:58 AM

Unlike intelligent people, Trump supporters don't read about his "inaccuracies ( tongue )" after the fact; they just swallow whatever spews from his mouth. frown

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
ryck #40230 05/04/16 01:01 AM

He's well on his way to getting Hillary elected; let's just hope he goes with Christie as his running mate.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40231 05/04/16 01:57 AM

I've been wondering why Kaisich stayed in after Cruz dropped out. How about this….

Kaisich figures most people have so far been thinking: "Trump's an entertaining distraction but he'll never make it". However, now that Trump could get enough delegates, their tune has changed to "Holy crap…he might do it".

So, Kaisich says to himself: "Maybe there are enough people in the balance of the primaries who are now so scared they'll vote for anyone but Trump and, guess what, that's me. I can't get enough delegates to win the nomination but, if I keep Trump from getting the number, it's a contested convention. Then, I could do it on a second ballot."

Last edited by ryck; 05/04/16 01:37 PM. Reason: Spelling

ryck

iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020), 3.8 GHz 8 Core Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 2667 MHz DDR4
OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #40232 05/04/16 02:19 AM

I don't know about Kasich getting the nomination on any ballot, but under any circumstances, an attempt to stop Trump is an honorable endeavor. (The money he'll be spending is that of like-minded people, so he won't be called to task by anybody who matters to him.)

Last edited by artie505; 05/04/16 02:28 AM. Reason: Make better

artie505 #40233 05/04/16 03:56 AM
Banned
Banned

Whether it's honorable or not, it's too late. He will easily win California, and as they say, "There goes the ball game".

Also, if the Republican "establishment" stops the nomination of Trump, the party will definitely be fractured this election cycle.

artie505 #40238 05/04/16 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: artie505
I don't know about Kasich getting the nomination on any ballot, but under any circumstances, an attempt to stop Trump is an honorable endeavor.

And, of course, Trump gave his predictably "intellectual" response to the Kaisich decision: "He's just staying in for the free food."

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
honestone #40239 05/04/16 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: honestone
Whether it's honorable or not, it's too late. He will easily win California, and as they say, "There goes the ball game".

I'm not so certain about California being a shoo-in. The last polls I saw had Cruz and Trump running neck and neck so it will be interesting to see what happens to the Cruz votes (most of whom, I assume, are in the Stop Trump movement).

Also, if the Republican "establishment" stops the nomination of Trump, the party will definitely be fractured this election cycle.

They may not need to stop him through process. They can choose to stop him farther down the line (during the election) just by closing their wallets, which is already happening.

Trump could be a presidential candidate going into an election without enough dough, unless he is prepared to take that extraordinary amount of money from his own bank account. If he elects to underspend, that could be the real "There goes the ball game".

This morning there's a clue that the money is already on the Donald's mind. He has said he is "considering" accepting small donations.

Last edited by ryck; 05/04/16 02:13 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
ryck #40240 05/04/16 02:49 PM
Banned
Banned

Originally Posted By: ryck

I'm not so certain about California being a shoo-in. The last polls I saw had Cruz and Trump running neck and neck so it will be interesting to see what happens to the Cruz votes (most of whom, I assume, are in the Stop Trump movement).

With Cruz out of the race, and Kaisich having so little support, Trump will triumph in California, plain and simple.

They may not need to stop him through process. They can choose to stop him farther down the line (during the election) just by closing their wallets, which is already happening.

Thus, the Republican party will just lie down and die, ie, concede the election. That would be real smart!

Last edited by honestone; 05/04/16 02:50 PM.
honestone #40247 05/04/16 03:46 PM

With Cruz out of the race, and Kaisich having so little support, Trump will triumph in California, plain and simple.

At this point, all moot, as Kaisich reportedly will be making an announcement today that he is dropping out.

Thus, the Republican party will just lie down and die, ie, concede the election. That would be real smart!

But not an impossibility. News reports this morning say that some Republicans are stating they will vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump. And, if the usual big-money Republican donors are not going to pony up for a campaign (effectively "lying down") he's got a money problem.

I'm guessing Trump will require far more than any candidate has ever needed. He needs a massive (and expensive) PR campaign to reverse the opinions of those large voter blocs he has alienated so far. (e.g. None-white voters 81% for Hillary, 14% for the Donald). Other groups, like women, are not likely to be much different.

Last edited by ryck; 05/04/16 03:49 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
artie505 #40250 05/04/16 03:58 PM

Unlike intelligent people, Trump supporters don't read about his "inaccuracies ( tongue )" after the fact; they just swallow whatever spews from his mouth. frown

Or maybe he is just saying out loud what many people are thinking?

Note that this does not mean what he is saying and people are thinking is intelligent. In fact, we have seen repeatedly in this country that people will vote against their own self-interests in the big picture if the candidate supports their beliefs on guns, gays and abortions.

On a Mac since 1984.
Currently: 24" M1 iMac, M2 Pro Mac mini with 27" BenQ monitor, M2 Macbook Air, MacOS 14.x; iPhones, iPods (yes, still) and iPads.
Ira L #40254 05/04/16 04:30 PM

I have this parallel universe fantasy where Trump wins the presidency and we can all watch what happens without actually being affected by it from the security of our sane universe.

Or maybe it's just the reverse: and Trump's universe is the real world and my universe is actually the insane asylum?

I haven't lost any sleep over this yet.

iMac (19,1, 3.1 GHz i5, 12.7.4, 40 Gb RAM); MacBook Air (1.8 Ghz, 8 Gb RAM, 10.14.6, 256 Gb SSD) Vodafone router and Devolo Wi-Fi Extender, Canon TS8351 printer/scanner.
freelance #40256 05/04/16 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: freelance
I have this parallel universe fantasy where Trump wins the presidency and we can all watch what happens without actually being affected by it from the security of our sane universe.
Or maybe it's just the reverse: and Trump's universe is the real world and my universe is actually the insane asylum

Remember what I said in Post #38887 (mid-February) vis-à-vis King of Hearts?

Ira L #40260 05/04/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Ira L

Or maybe he is just saying out loud what many people are thinking?

In some instances that's certainly true, but he's spouting garbage, some of which is made up, and some of which is extracted from the National Enquirer and other equally if not more disreputable sources, that people don't even know about until it spews from his mouth, and, in addition, he's close to a congenital liar, and there's almost no likelihood that his supporters ever avail themselves of the facts, i.e. the truth.

grelber #40261 05/04/16 09:46 PM

Originally Posted By: grelber

A link would be more meaningful. wink

ryck #40264 05/05/16 03:52 AM
Banned
Banned

At this point, all moot, as Kaisich reportedly will be making an announcement today that he is dropping out.

So, that negates your earlier contention about California. Not to say I told you so, but .....

But not an impossibility. News reports this morning say that some Republicans are stating they will vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump. And, if the usual big-money Republican donors are not going to pony up for a campaign (effectively "lying down") he's got a money problem.

Again, no matter how it's spun, the Republican party would then be giving up.

I'm guessing Trump will require far more than any candidate has ever needed. He needs a massive (and expensive) PR campaign to reverse the opinions of those large voter blocs he has alienated so far. (e.g. None-white voters 81% for Hillary, 14% for the Donald). Other groups, like women, are not likely to be much different.

So far, Trump has spent his own money on the campaign. And, percentages can change, as has been evident ever since Trump entered the race, and was a HUGE underdog. Now, he is the TOP dog!

Last edited by honestone; 05/05/16 03:53 AM.
honestone #40265 05/05/16 05:03 AM

Quote:
Now, he is the TOP dog!

Correction... Now he is the top DOG!

(Hopefully there aren't enough canines registered to vote to get him elected.)

artie505 #40268 05/05/16 07:07 AM

A link would be more meaningful. wink

True, but I can't figure out how to specify such (ie, URL) for a specific post. (My page set-up may not be yours.)

Anyway, this was the comment referenced:
I'm reminded of "King of Hearts" (1966 movie, starring Alan Bates) — only getting back into the asylum won't help.
Think irreparably nutsy cuckoo. tongue crazy

grelber #40269 05/05/16 07:25 AM

The URL of your most recent post is http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=40268#Post40268,
but if you substitute the number of the post to which you want to link for the two 40268s the URL will lead to it.

artie505 #40270 05/05/16 07:36 AM

Thanks. I should have thought of that.

grelber #40271 05/05/16 10:34 AM

If you click the post icon in the upper left corner of a post—like so—you will load a page whose URL is the one you're looking for. Or you can right-click or control-click the icon and then select Copy Link from the contextual menu (that's in Safari; the phrase may differ slightly in Firefox but the same functionality is there).

dkmarsh—member, FineTunedMac Co-op Board of Directors
dkmarsh #40272 05/05/16 01:02 PM

Clicking on the post icon brings up a whole page not just the post specified. Not exactly what I was looking for.

By the bye, your link to the dropbox is flagged by Firefox as "untrusted":
dl.dropboxusercontent.com uses an invalid security certificate.
The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown. The server might not be sending the appropriate intermediate certificates. An additional root certificate may need to be imported.

honestone #40276 05/05/16 01:17 PM

So, that negates your earlier contention about California. Not to say I told you so, but .....

Contention? I suggested that California wasn't necessarily a shoo-in for Trump, given the unknown factor of where the Cruz votes would go. And, I still stand by that speculation.

The fact that there will now not be a competition doesn't provide a single iota of support for your contention that Trump would easily win California, so you can hang onto your "Not to say I told you so" for another time.

So far, Trump has spent his own money on the campaign.

You have missed the point entirely.

I fully understand that Trump has paid his way to date. However, the amount he will need for an election campaign (and the PR side of things) far exceeds anything he has spent so far. He may be reluctant to reach that far into his own pocket and, absent any additional funding, that will place him in a tough spot.

quote=ryck]But not an impossibility. News reports this morning say that some Republicans are stating they will vote for Hillary before they vote for Trump. And, if the usual big-money Republican donors are not going to pony up for a campaign (effectively "lying down") he's got a money problem.

Again, no matter how it's spun, the Republican party would then be giving up.

Yes, and I think it's entirely possible in a party that is already split by factors like the Tea Party. Add to that the fact that Trump has only averaged 40% of the Republican vote in the primaries, so a majority of the party already opposes him.

Last edited by ryck; 05/05/16 01:24 PM.

ryck

OS Ventura 13.6.3
TM on 1TB LaCie USB-C
grelber #40277 05/05/16 01:33 PM

Clicking on the post icon brings up a whole page not just the post specified. Not exactly what I was looking for.

Your expectation of bringing up a single post is not exactly what’s provided in any view in UBBThreads software. In Dave’s example, you get the page containing the post with that post at the top of the browser window, UNLESS there aren’t enough following posts to make that possible with the window height you’re using. That display ‘failure’ would apply to the bottom-most post(s), unless they’re taller than your browser window is high*. If you try Dave's suggestion with the last post and one at least one window height up, you’ll see what I mean.

That said, it is possible to display a single post within its thread hierarchy (select threaded mode under Topic Options at the left above the topmost post on the page), but then you won’t see the literal context without switching back to flat mode.

* What with ryck’s and my post now following yours, the issue is pretty much moot.

alternaut moderator
Page 11 of 40 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 39 40

Moderated by  alternaut, cyn 

Link Copied to Clipboard