Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
iphone charger can barely keep up
#36044 09/20/15 11:06 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I got a car charger from Amazon, had good reviews, but what is odd, with Google Maps going, the charger barely put in as much juice as Google takes. Is this odd?

Re: iphone charger can barely keep up
kevs #36046 09/21/15 03:03 AM

Yes, that is expected for standard USB chargers. The USB spec calls for 0.5 amp charging and running the GPS and the screen seem to use just about that amount, so nothing left to actually charge it up. To charge it when using it that way, you'll need a "fast" charger of 1.0 amp (or greater, for an iPad, but the iPhone won't use more than 1 amp).

kevs #36069 09/22/15 02:32 PM

three factors: 1) how much juice does your device take, 2) how much juice does the device claim to be able to supply (continuously), and 3) how much does it ACTUALLY provide?

most devices "want" 500mA (1/2 amp) from USB, and draw far less. (they don't request it, the charger tells the device how much it is allowed to draw, and that's a one-way message) Most movie phones will want 1 amp and draw the full amount to quick charge until they get near full charge, then drop down to say 250mA to finish topping off. Devices with larger batteries like iPads will pull up to 2 amps if available, and both the device and the charger can get quite warm while bulk charging. If the charger claims to only provide 500mA, then device must either only draw 500, or refuse to charge. Your iPhone etc will pop a message saying "unable to use this charger" if you plug into something that doesn't promise at least 500mA. Other devices will "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!" and pull 1amp anyway, causing the charger to overheat or shut down.

It's been my experience that most car chargers "claim" (in paper and electronically) to provide 1 amp, but can't manage it for any length of time (or not at all). These are usually pretty cheap, less than $3 on eBay etc. If you pay more for a charger, the odds of it being able to put out are better. Chargers with multiple USB ports seem more likely to supply higher current. Their larger housing has room for beefier electronics and heat sink.

The same is true for home chargers. There was a serious issue recently with counterfeit iPod/iPhone chargers that were built cheaply and sold cheaply. They overheated immediately when charging an iPad, and some even caught fire. For awhile apple was exchanging those out for genuine iPad charger bricks for free. (the offer may still stand?)

Even if they can manage the current, most of the cheap ones produce serious "line noise" ("dirty power") when getting near 1 amp output, and that's hard on your electronics. There are some youtube videos illustrating the increase in noise, drop in voltage, and early cutout of cheap, overrated chargers. If your device repeatedly goes into and out of charge mode, your charger is overheating or getting really noisy and your device disconnecting automatically. Find a different charger in that case.

FYI some chargers are rated in watts rather than amps. At 5 volts, 10 watts is required for 1 amp. (watts = volts x amps) Apple's bricks are usually rated at 12w, giving you 10 with room to spare, while providing clean, full-voltage power.

5 port 40 (!) watt home charger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Vx3Jtx7lg

Even the cable you use can affect power delivered. Low gauge wire can drop a significant amount of power at higher wattage draw, even causing charging to abort due to low voltage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doMHmGatyYc

And someone doing a thorough test comparison with a genuine and a counterfeit apple charger:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_exfmbsPqEI

This last one is the one you really need to watch. The same issues are true for 12v DC chargers.

I work for the Department of Redundancy Department
Virtual1 #36071 09/22/15 03:35 PM

Because of the issues with third party chargers and lightning cables Virtual1 mentioned Apple now has a program where they license MFi Certified products including chargers and Lightning connector cables. You should always look for Apple MFi Certified on the package. You will probably pay a bit more, but IMHO it is worth it.

NOTE: chargers are marked Made for iPhone or Made for iPad. There are a lot of MFi certified car chargers for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad mini, but a lot fewer for the iPad, iPad Air, and iPad Air ii. Buyer beware

Last edited by joemikeb; 09/22/15 03:44 PM.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36072 09/22/15 03:45 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks DAvid/Virtual/ Joe, vidoes are not connecting well, will try to watch later.

For home, yes I buy the Apple Store chargers.

I also have a portable that does well which I use rarely.

The car one which plugs into the cigarette lighter, was about $7 or so, and it actually just barely hung on for the 1 hour drive at 3%. Still if you have a link to a better, car charger-via cigarette lighter.. please send!

Last edited by kevs; 09/22/15 08:01 PM.
kevs #36079 09/22/15 10:32 PM

https://www.iluv.com/product_detail.asp?model=mypower104

It's not a car charger, but it is a very quick charger between destinations.

This one is a car charger, no car so I can't vouch for it, but their stuff is high quality.

https://www.iluv.com/product_detail.asp?model=iad530u

Oh, ya gotta use the cables their stuff ships with.

Last edited by slolerner; 09/22/15 10:45 PM.
slolerner #36080 09/22/15 11:24 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks S
Well I already have a portable non car charger. I guess I could use that while driving, instead of the car one. The car one is nice because you just keep it in the car an it itself never needs a charge.

Think this $15 one will do much better than my $8 one? Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SU0...ailpage_o05_s00

kevs #36081 09/23/15 12:14 AM

No idea... Could get one of these and actually use your wall adapter. Even reboot your car.

http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DRPP300-P...ng+power+supply

May not be as stupid as it sounds, could charge your laptop at the same time, etc.

Last edited by slolerner; 09/23/15 12:29 AM. Reason: More
kevs #36086 09/23/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks S
Well I already have a portable non car charger. I guess I could use that while driving, instead of the car one. The car one is nice because you just keep it in the car an it itself never needs a charge.

Think this $15 one will do much better than my $8 one? Here is the one I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006SU0...ailpage_o05_s00

honestly there's NO way to know for certain what an adapter is going to deliver, unless you can find a technical review like those youtube videos. There's no regulation and only that MFi standard. The cheap crap from china is flooding the market.

here is my personal recommendation, though for most it's probably overkill. For me it was a great find:

http://www.amazon.com/PORT-CHARGING-STATION-5X1A-Electronics/dp/B00HPX4SS0

I got mine for less than that, under $50, but its 7 ports, two ports that will do 2 amps each, and five that will do one amp each. all at the same time. (that makes it a 9 amp, >45 watt charger) It has no hub capability, only charge. Has a standard 12v power adapter with the common barrel power connector. Just wire up something for your car's 12v into that and it works awesome. Runs cool even when under load. (my other unit was constantly overheating)

Startech is a pretty good name brand I felt I could trust to produce a solid product that performs as claimed. Also, note the SOLID ALUMINUM SHELL. Really, where else are you going to find anything other than cheap plastic housings? This baby's bolted together, not glued.

kevs #36092 09/23/15 06:40 PM

The Apple store lits this car charger and this combo pack from Belkin. You can find others at any Office Supply store just look for the Made For iPhone or Made For iPad MFi label on the package. Plan to pay more than $7 — particularly on eBay or Amazon you will likely get what you pay for.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #36094 09/23/15 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: JoeMikeB
The Apple store lits this car charger and this combo pack from Belkin...

Smart. Bypass the USB connection altogether.

Last edited by slolerner; 09/23/15 07:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
slolerner #36096 09/23/15 07:55 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, I recently bought Belkinwifi exenteder and it was not so good. I since have gone to direct ethernet, so I solved that issue... but one notch down for Belkin..

Did you notice the specs are the car charger are about the same for the Amazon one and the Belkin?.... I would guess the Belkin may not perform much better... let me know..

Today I drove with the $8 charger, just talking on phone for 40 minutes and it stayed at 100%, so it's mainly an issue of when the iphone is low 10-20%, and... then jump in the car and use navigation for an hour...

kevs #36097 09/23/15 08:12 PM

Belkin's routers and such are not a good measure of their product line. Wouldn't make a decision based on that experience. But, in this case you may be right, not a lot of fans here:

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Certified-Charger-Lightning-Connector/dp/B00LETJFNO#customerReviews

(You'd think Apple would make one themselves...)

slolerner #36098 09/23/15 08:30 PM

I just thought of something. Scosche makes outrageously good stuff for car stereos. I hunted everywhere for an iPod nano to iPod touch adapter for my 'boom box' and the one I got from them was great. Check this out:

http://www.scosche.com/color-match-iphone-usb-car-charger-12watt

slolerner #36106 09/24/15 02:15 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks S,
Never heard of Scroche, but I'll take your word on them.

But do you think this device would do better?... same rating as one I bought. 12V.

It may just be that navigation is just of equal intensity as any car charger?

Today, I talked for 40 min in the car, and the phone stayed at 100%

kevs #36107 09/24/15 03:10 AM

Can't hurt to call them and ask. As I understand it, the talking part is not the battery drain, it is running Google Maps as a GPS. The issue is how fast it recharges the phone, and it seems that would depend on how 'clean' the charge is. The quality of the charger, just a guess.

slolerner #36111 09/24/15 02:12 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks S, well if the specs are the same, and it's just a little piece of plastic with metal, and mine got good reviews, I cannot see how theirs is better, and what are they going to say? They probably don't know.... I

kevs #36118 09/24/15 09:51 PM

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro 13"
2.4GHz, 750GB SATA HD, 8 GB RAM, OS 10.7.5
1 HDX1500 2TB Ext.HD, 2 HDX1500 1TB Ext.HD
HP Laserjet 6MP printing postscript via 10/100 Intel print server
Netgear WN2500RP Range Extender (Ira rocks!)
Linksys WRT1900AC Wireless Router
Brother MFC-9340CDW Color Laser
iPad Air
slolerner #36119 09/24/15 10:42 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ok S, great links, definitely worth trying! Thanks.

kevs #36122 09/25/15 12:06 AM

CNET likes this one:

http://www.cnet.com/products/anker-usb-24w-usb-car-charger/

Digital Trends likes these:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/best-car-phone-chargers/

They all give the reasons. (Now someone just has to make a good USB cigarette lighter.)

slolerner #36123 09/25/15 12:08 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I did order the Scroche, great reviews on Amazon.. lets see! thanks.

kevs #36125 09/25/15 12:16 AM

LMK.

slolerner #36137 09/25/15 07:41 PM

I find it surprising that a small plastic-bodied adapter can handle 40 watts of power. The problem isn't the 40 watts, it's the 8-10 watts of heat that it has to be generating to regulate and convert the 40. Where does that heat go? Plastic is NOT a good conductor/dissipator of heat. So it's going to build up, and that adapter is going to get hot enough to melt plastics. I wonder if they're claiming that's 40 watts "max surge" or "40 watts continuous"?

A similar product, the AC inverter for cars, is almost always marketed at its surge rating, but both are always easily visible on the product literature. For them, 50/100 is typical. [ 500 watt inverter! - (250w continuous, 500w for 10 minutes or less) ]

kevs #40115 04/29/16 07:00 PM

Curious what you bought and how that's working out for you...

slolerner #40116 04/29/16 07:18 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I did get the Scosche and it's great, thanks for tip!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  cyn, dianne 

Link Copied to Clipboard