for Macintosh users.

FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: When to replace imacs and Macbooks?
kevs #40084 04/27/16 10:29 PM

I'm with you on DIY, but now that you've mentioned that Apple worked on it...that there's a possibility that they damaged the screw I'd take the Air to the Genius Bar before doing anything else.

(I've had notably bad luck with Macs that have gone to depot as yours may have...poorly done work, case damage, and even one instance in which a Mac sent in with a brand new battery came back with a bad one.)

That screw sounds like it may be a job to remove, and if Apple necessitated it, well...Apple should do it!

Last edited by artie505; 04/28/16 12:20 AM. Reason: Make better

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #40085 04/28/16 12:18 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

"decided their Turnkey installation was well worth the cost"

Joe, what does that mean? You shipped in your computer to them, or you do the DIY?

artie505 #40086 04/28/16 12:27 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Got lucky, I found a place nearby, much closer than Apple to install and do for $75.00.

With apple it would have been hours to get them to just remove and replace the screw, the local shop is including that in the deal of putting in the hardrive.

kevs #40087 04/28/16 12:34 AM

Good luck! smile

(For future reference and the benefit of all, please ask them how they're going to get that screw out and let us know.)

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
artie505 #40088 04/28/16 12:50 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I did not want to ask, in fear of the answer bringing up the price, I'll try to remember when done....

kevs #40089 04/28/16 12:58 AM

Good point!

Nothing to be gained from making them think more than they've got to at the moment. laugh

artie505 #40090 04/28/16 01:14 AM

Most hardware stores carry cyanoacrylate (a.k.a. super glue) solvent and any woodworking store will have several efferent brands and generally it is easier to control, is less damaging to human skin, and has fewer fumes that Benzine. (it may be a form of Benzine for all I know but it is a formulation specific to the task.)

By-the-way the cyano in cyanoacrylate is cyanide so it is a wise practice NEVER use cyanoacrylate adhesives in a closed area.

Personally I would use hot glue — woodworker or industrial grade not the craft store grade — rather than cyanoacrylate in the situation Tacit described. Cyanoacrylate can damage circuit boards and when hot glue releases it usually pops off completely or can easily be picked off with a sharp pointed tool such as an awl or even better a dentist's pick.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #40091 04/28/16 01:30 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
"decided their Turnkey installation was well worth the cost"

Joe, what does that mean? You shipped in your computer to them, or you do the DIY?

It means OWC overnighted a box to me, I placed the mini in the carefully padded box and dropped it off at a FedEx drop. The next morning OWC called to clarify a couple of things about my order and the day after that the FedEx driver handed the box back to me complete with the upgraded mini, my old SSD in an external enclosure, and my old 5400 RPM spinning rust I have since put into an enclosure I had sitting around.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40092 04/28/16 01:41 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

That's what I should have done! But I wanted to save money!
The local guys seems cool, we'll see... $75

BTW Joe, since he has my macbook air, which serves as my living room TV, I put the old, now old 27" there to watch TV today, and was thinking hey, for a few hundred dollars I could use the nicer dislpay 27 as the TV (upgrade ssd/ ram), and then I don't have to cord and uncord the macbook every day as I'm doing, which I use to read... But... I thinking maybe not.. as then I'd have 3 main units, the new 27", the old 27" and the macbook, and most software right, photoshop, office, only let's you have two copies correct?

joemikeb #40094 04/28/16 07:51 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
Most hardware stores carry cyanoacrylate (a.k.a. super glue) solvent and any woodworking store will have several efferent brands and generally it is easier to control, is less damaging to human skin, and has fewer fumes that Benzine. (it may be a form of Benzine for all I know but it is a formulation specific to the task.)

By-the-way the cyano in cyanoacrylate is cyanide so it is a wise practice NEVER use cyanoacrylate adhesives in a closed area.

Personally I would use hot glue — woodworker or industrial grade not the craft store grade — rather than cyanoacrylate in the situation Tacit described. Cyanoacrylate can damage circuit boards and when hot glue releases it usually pops off completely or can easily be picked off with a sharp pointed tool such as an awl or even better a dentist's pick.

I said acetone, not benzine, but all those organics smell kinda like each other. (I sometimes walk past the local auto-body shop just to huff paint! tongue )

My fingertips split from the dry steam heat during the winter, and I use Crazy Glue to close the splits rather than deal with BandAid slivers. grin I use it in such minuscule quantities, though, that I've never picked up a smell from it, and I wonder how much it would take to have a toxic effect?

Could hot glue really withstand the torque force involved in unscrewing a screw, particularly one with as small a grip area as kevs's? I wasn't even certain about Crazy Glue which I'd think is the more likely of the two to accomplish the job.

Hot glue would certainly be a "safer" choice in this instance, though, because there'd be virtually no worry about its getting into the screw threads and sealing the machine. (Edit: I wouldn't use Crazy Glue anywhere near a circuit board either.)

Last edited by artie505; 04/28/16 07:56 AM.

joemikeb #40095 04/28/16 07:58 AM

Originally Posted By: joemikeb
It means OWC overnighted a box to me, I placed the mini in the carefully padded box and dropped it off at a FedEx drop. The next morning OWC called to clarify a couple of things about my order and the day after that the FedEx driver handed the box back to me complete with the upgraded mini, my old SSD in an external enclosure, and my old 5400 RPM spinning rust I have since put into an enclosure I had sitting around.

Sounds like you got back one drive more than you sent out, albeit a rusty one! cool

kevs #40096 04/28/16 08:00 AM

BTW Joe, since he has my macbook air, which serves as my living room TV, I put the old, now old 27" there to watch TV today, and was thinking hey, for a few hundred dollars I could use the nicer dislpay 27 as the TV (upgrade ssd/ ram), and then I don't have to cord and uncord the macbook every day as I'm doing, which I use to read... But... I thinking maybe not.. as then I'd have 3 main units, the new 27", the old 27" and the macbook, and most software right, photoshop, office, only let's you have two copies correct?

Even if that's the case, you can just uninstall the software from the living room iMac which you presumably won't be using for computing any more.

kevs #40097 04/28/16 01:47 PM

…and most software right, photoshop, office, only let's you have two copies correct?

The number of allowable software installations per license varies all over the map.
  • Apple permits five authorized computers to use App store offerings but OS X and iOS licenses must be purchased separately.
  • Small third party developers seldom go to the expense of an enforcement system for their apps, depending instead on the intrinsic honesty of their users.
  • Adobe controls the number of installations via the internet and installing a third installation using the same license requires deactivating one of the previous installations. A single Adobe CS license covers Windows, OS X, and/or iOS installations.
  • Microsoft has two lines Office 365 and Office 2016 Suites and different versions within each line.
    Originally Posted By: Office 365
    Office 365 Home

An Office 365 Home subscription includes:

A personalized Office experience for everyone in your household on up to 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets and 5 phones (including Windows, Apple, and Android devices)2
    Full installed 2016 versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher1, and Access1
    One TB of Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage per user, for up to 5 users.
    Sixty minutes of Skype world minutes per user, for up to 5 users.3
    Upgrades always included
    Expert Office technical support included
    Non-commercial use rights

Office 365 Personal

An Office 365 Personal subscription includes:

A personalize Office experience designed for individuals with 1 PC or Mac, plus 1 tablet and 1 phone2
    Full installed 2016 versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, Publisher1, and Access1
    One TB of Microsoft OneDrive cloud storage.
    Sixty minutes of Skype world minutes.3
    New upgrades always included
    Expert Office technical support

Office 365 University4

An Office 365 University subscription includes:

Full versions of Office for higher education students, faculty and staff on up to 2 PCs or Macs, 2 tablets (including Windows, Apple, and Android devices)2
    All the benefits of Office 365 Home Premium at a great price for students
    Eligibility verification required in product
    Four-year subscription for one user
    Originally Posted By: Office 2016 Suites
    Office 2016 suites include:

Office Home and Student 2016

Includes the 2016 versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote
    One-time purchase for 1 PC or Mac1
    Transferable license*

Office Home and Business 2016

Includes the 2016 versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Outlook
    Transferable license*
    Commercial use rights

Office Professional 20162

Includes the 2016 versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Access and Publisher
    One-time purchase for 1 PC1
    Transferable license*
    Commercial use rights

* You may transfer the software to another computer that belongs to you, but not more than one time every 90 days (except due to hardware failure, in which case you may transfer sooner). If you transfer the software to another computer, that other computer becomes the "licensed computer." You may also transfer the software (together with the license) to a computer owned by someone else if a) you are the first licensed user of the software and b) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement before the transfer. Any time you transfer the software to a new computer, you must remove the software from the prior computer, and you may not retain any copies.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40099 04/28/16 03:36 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Joe, good info.

I only have a few software that are important. The most is Office word/ excel. I'm on 2011. I just read the reviews yesterday for 2016, and they are so bad, 55 one star reviews

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msus...ac_ModE_HS16Mac

I may hold off for a year or two. I am not interested in subscription, I don't need cloud space... so look at this:

Includes the 2016 versions of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote

ARe they saying you cannot put Word on even your laptop? Or I think they assume you have a desktop and a latop, but not 2 desktops and a laptop.

And as you just mentioned Adobe strictly allows only 2 computers. Right?

I could us other versions... an old CS5 on one...

So see idea of having 2 work stations in the house, and then a mobile workstation ( a laptop), total of 3 is still not standard unfortunately.

I use the laptop as a 2nd workstation with a display, but it's a nuisance having to plug and unplug 5 cords every time (power, usb, video adapter), and would be nice to just have that 2nd home workstation permanent. I can see why you like Mac minis, I've never owned one. But I now have the 7yr old 27" which I may sell... but for today is the 2nd workstation! I could put $250 into it, new SSD, Ram... but not sure... may just wait for the laptop to come back and continue with that.

kevs #40100 04/28/16 04:13 PM
Banned
Banned

keys, I also use Office 2011 on both of my machines, and it easily suits my needs. BTW, do you have the latest version of Office 2011, V14.6.3? In case you don't, you can get it from here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51771

honestone #40101 04/28/16 04:33 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Hone,
I have 14.6.2, I don't manually update, I get some alerts every blue moon and update.

The issue is this:
What if you want to use excel/ word on two home workstations and on two mobile workstations, a air and macbook pro total 4?

I dont' have that now, but later..?

kevs #40102 04/28/16 07:35 PM

Let me clarify. Each version of Office/Word/Photoshop/CS has its own license. It its the installed licenses for a given MAC (Mandatory Access Control) address that count — not the number of unique copies of the software. However, Adobe and Microsoft both have to certify the copy at that MAC address before it will run.

If I were in your situation I would install the necessary software and licenses on the two workstations and then — as you initially proposed — running the applications remotely from either a laptop of 12" iPad Pro. It is not a perfect solution because of the smaller laptop or iPad screen and screen scaling and is really satisfactory only when your LAN connection is reliably delivering 10 Mbps bandwidth or preferably better.

From your description of the bandwidth you are getting that may entail running an ethernet connection from your router to an Airport Express or other WiFi network originating device on the other floor. That should be well within the capability of most home DIYers.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40103 04/29/16 02:48 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Ah Joe, I went to direct Ethernet for the house, no more wifi anymore in the house for me.

Desktops and laptops are considered computers right, so the limit I think is a total of 2 for those...? microsoft/adobe.

and then after that maybe you could add on mobile.... ipads...

kevs #40104 04/29/16 03:34 PM

Adobe and Microsoft count mobile devices the same as computers for license purposes. So if you had a license for Adobe CS installed on two computers in order to install CS on a mobile device you would have to...
  • uninstall CS on one of the computers or
  • purchase a second Adobe CS license NOTE an installations of a previous version of the Adobe Creative Suite with a different activation code is a different license.
  • With Microsoft Office you will find similar restrictions but with lots of variation in the details depending on the specific version of Office.
The only way to tell for sure is to
  1. Read the license agreement specific to the product(s) involved very carefully, assume the most restrictive interpretation of the agreement, and
  2. Try it and see if the installer will let you get away with it
Adobe and Microsoft have zero incentive to make it easier, much less cheaper, for you. Cash flow is a primary impetus behind the current movement toward software rental/leasing instead of selling. Even the smaller software developers are beginning to get in on the leasing act. They all have to have some mechanism to generate cash flow in a shrinking computer market — especially when their product has already saturated the existing market as in the case with Adobe CS and Microsoft Office. Besides that there are no competing products with enough/any market clout to keep them honest.

— Albert Einstein
joemikeb #40114 04/29/16 06:13 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Nice post Joe! thanks for clarifying. IN addition to replacing the 27" last week, I just put a new SSD into my macbook and today, was not able to use Microsoft. What was humiliating was this 400 number passcode that after entering did not work. I did get a nice Indian guy who got it going for me, he extended the license number. 23 minutes on the phone, coupled with other lost time, killer. Humiliating.

You have a point, a company that is very small, but makes the best estimating software in photography, used to be just one time $75 and maybe an upgrade every 3 years of $50. They just went with cloud version and it's $200 every year or so. I only use it a few times a year, but will do it as they need the support and there are few who want to do that software well.

Conversly I have 3-4 other softwares I use much more that are only about $5 or $10 a year to maintain.

BTW are you or others reading on Mac office 2016 yet? I was going to upgrade but the reviews online or horrid. The tech today said that's because the complainers are not on the most recent version of the OS. And he said it's been out for 6 months.

Last edited by kevs; 04/29/16 06:14 PM.
kevs #40117 04/29/16 08:22 PM

My personal experience with Office for Mac 2016 matches the worst reviews you may have read. If Office 2011 for the Macintosh is currently filling your needs, then I DO NOT recommend "upgrading" to Office for Mac 2016.

The feature set has been diminished, the user interface has been made more cumbersome, and you are required to get an online Microsoft account in order to use it....painfully unnecessary!

Just my personal opinion.....I tried not to sugar coat it.

Freedom is never free....thank a Service member today.
MacManiac #40121 04/29/16 08:39 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Mac, I did register today, just to be 2011 on my laptop, but I think 2016 there is non subscription version. Still, it's a mess? Just keep 2011 for next 20 years?

kevs #40125 04/30/16 01:44 AM

Nope, for Office 2016 on the Macintosh you HAVE to get a Microsoft account to register....almost as if it were a disc-based version of Office 365.

MacManiac #40126 04/30/16 02:07 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Before I we proceed further Mac, for some clarity, you keep stating something aboutneeding a Microsoft account. This is super confusing and meaningless as we get accounts for hundreds of stores and software's.

Are you trying to say that for Office 2016 for Mac, for the first time ever it's now mandatory to have a monthly subscription?

kevs #40127 04/30/16 04:00 AM

To activate your installation of Office 2016 requires that you sign up for a Microsoft account.....you don't just type in the serial number of your software. The account is then referenced each time you use your Office 2016 modules to ensure the valid licensing. If you open and use Word, it requires a logon to your new Microsoft account the first time you use it.....and the same process for the first time you use your computer-installed version of Excel 2016. A totally different process than Office 2011.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alternaut, dianne, MacManiac 

Link Copied to Clipboard