FineTunedMac Dashboard widget now available! Download Here

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New 27" nuisance, need password for everything
#40047 04/25/16 12:24 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

I just got a new 27' and it's asking for password for everything thing I do. "finder.app need password, new folder, everything without exception. One could spend 1/2 their time entering passwords. How to get rif of? El Capitan, and never saw this on old 27" also El Capitan. Thanks.

Last edited by cyn; 04/25/16 11:49 AM. Reason: Topic moved from "Mac OS X Applications" to the "Mac OS X System" forum.
Re: New 27" nuisance, need password for everything
kevs #40048 04/25/16 12:37 AM

Some thoughts:

1. Go to System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General and uncheck Require password (if checked). Or, toggle it on and off.

2. Repair user permissions. This is not part of Disk Utility but you can do it via the Maintenance tab of OnyX 3.1.6. OnyX requires your password each time you launch it, so don't assume that permission repair didn't work for everything else.

3. Are you sure that you have an administrator account?

Last edited by jchuzi; 04/25/16 12:37 AM.

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
jchuzi #40049 04/25/16 01:23 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon, Titanium has Maintenance. I tried to open it, but after what 20 years, Titanium is still not trusted?

I clicked, open anyway, and then it tries to open, but the sign comes up again that it cannot be opened as it's not from the app store. And that goes in circles. What should I do?

kevs #40050 04/25/16 02:00 AM

If you need a password to do things like create new folders, that means you don't have write access to your hard drive or to folders in your hard drive. To fix this, click your hard drive icon, go to File->Get Info, click the Sharing and Permissions triangle, and change yourself to Read & Write (not Read Only). You might need to click the padlock icon to make changes.

To open a program not from the App store, hold down Option, click on the app, and choose Open from the popup menu. You only have to do this once.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
tacit #40052 04/25/16 02:57 AM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Tacit, not option, it's control click. Ran the disk permissions with Maintenance app, and it did not work. I had low expectations.

Also, when I click on hardrive, it has read/ write for system, and read only for wheel and everyone. Was worried bit, but made, 'everyone" read/ write and it seems ok. thanks.

Last edited by kevs; 04/25/16 04:22 AM.
kevs #40053 04/25/16 05:22 AM

Quote:
Was worried bit, but made, 'everyone" read/ write and it seems ok.

Your settings are now the same as my default settings which work just fine.

The new Great Equalizer is the SEND button.

In Memory of Harv: Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire
kevs #40054 04/25/16 10:08 AM

Originally Posted By: kevs
Thanks Jon, Titanium has Maintenance. I tried to open it, but after what 20 years, Titanium is still not trusted?

I clicked, open anyway, and then it tries to open, but the sign comes up again that it cannot be opened as it's not from the app store. And that goes in circles. What should I do?
You can easily work around this. Read Bypass Gatekeeper in OS X with Security Preferences

Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365
kevs #40055 04/25/16 10:40 AM

Here's another thought:

Go to System Preferences > Users & Groups > Password and select your account. Is the box that says "Allow user to administer this computer" checked? If not, click the lock, enter your password, and check that box.

Jon

jchuzi #40060 04/25/16 04:02 PM
kevs Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Jon it was checked, anyway, Solved it very quickly in a few seconds finally, I made everyone read/ write. Of course that begs the question, of Apple using terminology everyone.

kevs #40061 04/25/16 08:11 PM

Of course that begs the question, of Apple using terminology everyone.

confused I am not sure what your statement means. I believe my elementary school English teacher would have called that an incomplete sentence confused

However, because the bad guys keep getting smarter and more determined, Apple continues to harden the system and that almost inevitably results in some inconvenience.

Originally Posted By: keys
Titanium has Maintenance. I tried to open it, but after what 20 years, Titanium is still not trusted?

It may be Titanium believes it would be too expensive to comply with Apple's requirements to become an identified developer for a product they are giving away or it may be that although Titanium products are basically a GUI front end for OS X command line operations there are some of those functions Apple would prefer not be in the hands of uninformed users and chooses not to grant recognized developer status to Titanium. (Notice there are no Titanium products available through the App Store.) You can still install those apps and they still work, but Apple wants you to at least pause and think before using. There are a lot of apps from unrecognized developers that use deprecated commands perhaps even commands that have not been fully tested — permission repair is a case in point. If you run a Maintain or OnyX command which bricks your system it is your fault for using an app from an unrecognized developer and the developer's fault for using a deprecated or not fully tested command and not readily available to the general user population, but it is NOT Apple's fault and they have no liability.

If we knew what it was we were doing, it wouldn't be called research, would it?

— Albert Einstein
kevs #40071 04/26/16 08:51 PM

Thanks Jon it was checked, anyway, Solved it very quickly in a few seconds finally, I made everyone read/ write. Of course that begs the question, of Apple using terminology everyone.

"Everyone" means "all users of the computer" in this context.

Photo gallery, all about me, and more: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Moderated by  alternaut, dkmarsh, joemikeb 

Link Copied to Clipboard